Postal Method and Process

SakshiSrivastav

Registered Users (C)
Following from k.ambrose's post, I want to layout whats the best way of posting AOS application to USCIS?

Is UPS next day OK? How is Fedex Next Day? How is USPS priority - guess not so good looking at k.ambrose's experience.

Also how does it usually work after you post? Given that July 30th is the deadline for current fee - what is the latest safe date to send the application?

Would the fee be valid as long as the application reached USCIS on July 30?
OR
Is there a chance that application reaches on July 30 and waits on the shelf till the next day and someone gets to it the next day and rejects it?

-Sakshi

Per the USCIS fee increase press release:

The new fee structure is effective on July 30, 2007, and is posted at www.uscis.gov. Applications or petitions postmarked or otherwise filed on or after that date must include the new fee.

I'm assuming this means that as long as it's postmarked July 29, it can be filed with the old fee. July 29 is a Sunday so more likely it would have a July 27 or 28 postmark. I've seen certified mail with return receipt recommended many times on forums. I've also seen suggestions that next day delivery really doesn't help you much to cut down the overall processing time.

An important distinction between USPS certified mail and UPS/Fedex is that, as far as I know, certified mail + return receipt only confirms delivery but does not allow you to track where your package is at, at any given time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always overnight it with USPS (I have already sent 3 packages and 1 RFE) and it has worked. You can sort of track it online and request an online signature confirmation and them to mail you a signature confirmation. It costs me about $17 each time and I am all the way in Alabama. (far from Chicago).

Anyways, that is what I have done.

My tracking numbers begin with EB end with US. :)

I think USPS works okay as long as it is mailed in the post office itself and not in say, the UPS store which also does USPS mailing. I checked with them and my package got delivered on 28th May as the clerk in the store said it would be. But still, the agony of not knowing the status is not worth going through, therefore I think it'll be better to overnight it from now on as PraetorianXI wrote.

I think USPS works okay as long as it is mailed in the post office itself and not in say, the UPS store which also does USPS mailing. I checked with them and my package got delivered on 28th May as the clerk in the store said it would be. But still, the agony of not knowing the status is not worth going through, therefore I think it'll be better to overnight it from now on as PraetorianXI wrote.

I would think and I am pretty sure that if you mail it from a USPS office, it immediately gets on the computer. Of course it will only show you that package is accepted for quite a while. USPS isn't very efficient.

Ok I have another question. I read on this forum earlier that you can send a return-overnight-envelope. I think this envelope can be used by USCIS to send you any letters and it would basically get you the letters overnight instead of regular mail.

-Sakshi

Hmmm, never heard of it myself... except for the US passport application (expedite) they ask you to do that.

But I doubt they would do such thing... since they have their own little envelopes with an information window and all.

I suppose for those who depend on an early completion of AOS, overnight mailing might help, presumably if it gets you authorization to work or other benefit a day or two faster. But for those like me who don't have immediate consequences related to a quick AOS, it probably doesn't matter how quickly it gets there, does anyone agree?

Well, you overnighting things only shaves off 2-4 days per application or submission. So I guess it doesn't make much of a difference...

but to me, I have mailed "something" to USCIS 4 times now, assuming I saved 4 days each then... 16 days. Not too bad. :)

Aren't the addresses all PO BOX? Will someone from USCIS SIGN for overnight mail? I sent my package on Monday to the PO BOX address of the Texas center, tonight it showed up as

"We attempted to deliver your item at 11:49 AM on June 5, 2007 in MESQUITE, TX 75185 and a notice was left. A second delivery attempt will be made. If unsuccessful, we will hold it for five business days and then it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later. "

I am scared now. I assume the 'po box' is just a box and the only for USCIS to get my package is to have their clerk going to the post-office counter to pick it up and sign... Will that happen or will my package ends up returned back to me?! Please help if you had some experience...

You could have waiver-ed the signature and then the USPS would just put it in their box. Otherwise, yes... someone from USCIS has to sign for it.

Aren't the addresses all PO BOX? Will someone from USCIS SIGN for overnight mail? I sent my package on Monday to the PO BOX address of the Texas center, tonight it showed up as

"We attempted to deliver your item at 11:49 AM on June 5, 2007 in MESQUITE, TX 75185 and a notice was left. A second delivery attempt will be made. If unsuccessful, we will hold it for five business days and then it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later. "

I am scared now. I assume the 'po box' is just a box and the only for USCIS to get my package is to have their clerk going to the post-office counter to pick it up and sign... Will that happen or will my package ends up returned back to me?! Please help if you had some experience...

It said the same for me, but I got delivery confirmation a few days later. So don't worry about it.

Hi renma,can you update us whether you got delivery confirmation? I am in the same situation like you. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renma

The package was delivered 5am the next morning. So yours was probably delivered already by now. :)

There's also an option for 'electronic delivery confirmation', which I chose and got an email with PDF file of the delivery confirmation including the signature.

Hi renma,can you update us whether you got delivery confirmation? I am in the same situation like you. thanks.

Posting on 26th

Hi Folks,

I am posting on the 26th. Checking this because of the humongous fee increase on the 30th. I want my package to reach max by Saturday the 28th.

I am planning to send Via USPS "Express Mail® Flat Rate Envelope" to Chicago lock box.

Would adding a "deliver confirmation" have any impact on delivery? I am thinking of doing a return receipt.

It does not matter. Your package does NOT need to arrive before July 30. It only NEEDs to be sent (received at the post office - postmarked) before July 30th.