Post Katrina/new Orleans /memphis N400 Timeline

mqnawaz

Registered Users (C)
I want to start timeline for louisiana residents applying for citizenship.

i malied my application 1/15/2006
recipt recived 2/18/2006.

i understand memphis will be my district

i will like to hear from anybody who is in same boat as i am
thanks
mqnawaz

N400 New Orleans

Mailed my wife's N400 to Texas Service Center on February 17th 2006. Received receipt in early March.

As of mid-March, USCIS was operating from a temporary office out in Kenner. The New Orleans office was closed.

The next oath ceremony in New Orleans is on April 6th at the US courthouse on Poydras.

updating new orleans time line

thanks ejazharoon.

time line NEW ORLEANS : APPLIED 1/15/06
RECEIVED NOTICE:2/18/06
finger print notice :4/4/06 for appointment on 4/12/06 IN METAIRIE ,LOUISIANA
IN LAKESIDE MALL CIS OFFICE. I HOPE IT HELPS .

nawaz

Last edited by a moderator:
Oath Ceremony

Thanks Nawaz.

I was naturalized at the oath ceremony in New Orleans today. It was supposed to start at 11:30AM at the US District Court on Poydras but for some reason the USCIS folks forgot to put seat numbers so that delayed things about a half hour.

There were 62 or so prospective citizens at the ceremony. After everyone had signed their naturalization certificates and handed in their green card and N-445, the Coast Guard raised the flag and schoolchildren sang the national anthem and we all said the pledge of allegiance. This was followed by a short speech by the judge and the recitation of names of all soon-to-be citizens by the assistant US attorney. Then we took the naturalization oath and the assistant US attorney moved that we all be naturalized and the judge approved the motion. This was followed by a country count, seems like there were at least 15 different nationalities in such a small crowd. We were handed our naturalization certificates as we went out the door, right around 2PM.

There was lots of space at the back so my wife and son were able to witness this memorable occasion.

I believe this was the first post-Katrina ceremony. I asked the people sitting next to me how long their naturalization process took and the Pakistani lady next to me said 6 years, while the Vietnamese gentleman next to me said 3 years. So USCIS New Orleans appears to have had somewhat of a Big Easy attitude in terms of moving things along.

By the way the USCIS officer at the ceremony today mentioned that they were opening (or had already opened) an office at Clearview Mall. You mentioned Lakeside Mall in your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks ejazharoon

congratulations.

thanks for a comprehensive reply. u r right its clearview mall in metaire for
cis finger prints.

what was your time line .when did u file n 400, how long it took u from that point on.

congratulations again
i will keep u posted about my time line , it may give u some info which u can use for your wife's naturalization process
thanks
nawaz

ejazharoon u have quite a long journey and very eye opening struggle.thaks for sharing. i did my FP at clearview mall, on 4/11/06. there were about 10 people, no rush, it was well organized, out in 10 minutes.

nawaz

FP New Orleans

Same here, we went for my wife's FP at USCIS Clearview Mall, it was done in less than 30 minutes.

When can I expect IV

PD: 5/09/06
FP: 6/21/06

Called FBI. Fp info sent back to USCIS on same day.

When can I expect IV from New Orleans DO?

Thanks.

kb

According to the USCIS website the New Orleans office is back in business in Metairie. Based on experiences of people who have posted on this forum the New Orleans office is rather slow in calling applicants for interviews. Has anyone tried suing for Mandamus in connection with a pending naturalization application in the Eastern District of Louisiana?

pd 1/06
finger printing 4/06

no interview yet

not able to access my recipt number from usics site or their 800 number

present processing date is 2/06 for memphis , which should be my local office

any advice gurus

nawaz

Interview Date in New Orleans

Update on my wife's N-400: We received an interview letter last week for mid-January, at the USCIS office in Metairie.

Nawaz:

Congrats, keep me posted on your progress. As for me I am getting together some documents for the interview - my spouse had a traffic citation and a traffic accident a few years ago so I am getting her DMV record and court dispositions together. I also have a request in at the Gretna library for Barrons US citizenship civics test prep book.

I also make sure to check my mail every day in case USCIS decides to cancel the interview. There have been instances where the interview was cancelled a few days prior to the scheduled date because the name check was not done and USCIS did not want to proceed with the interview because that may trigger a 1447(b) lawsuit down the road.

Ejaz

interview at metairie

dear ejazharoon
yesterday had my citizenship interview at metairie, efficient, polite officer, done in 15 min, the only thing asked for was proof of paying speeding ticket.i had a copy of fine paid which officer made a copy.same deal with my wife. so please take with u copies of proof for traffic citation. oath ceremony on 23rd jan at alario center west bank of new orleans.
i hope this helps
thanks everybody.keep up good work

Thanks Nawaz, congrats on your approval.

My wife had her N-400 interview on January 17th at USCIS Metairie, it went very well, the USCIS officer did not look at any documents other than her passport, drivers license and green card. She had listed her traffic ticket and traffic accident on the N-400 but the officer did not ask to see receipts of payment (a verbal response to the question regarding payment of tickets and fines was sufficient). She had forgotten to list a trip to Canada on the N-400 so she gave a corrected copy of that page to the offficer, and the officer was appreciative of that.

Her application was approved and she will receive the oath letter in the mail, probably for a February oath date.

Natz Oath Ceremony in New Orleans....

.... went very smoothly yesterday march 8th at the federal courthouse downtown, my spouse was impressed because the US district court judge shook hands with all the new citizens when the ceremony ended. In all 67 people were scheduled to be naturalized although 6 did not show up. It appears USCIS has speeded up its processing time for N400 in New Orleans as my wife's case only took 13 months from start to finish.