Post-GC: Wife\'s last name change from maiden name

kumar_123

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
All of my wife\'s documents have her maiden name as last name.Now that we got GC, we want to change her last name.I am wondering about the procedure.As there are so many documents/cards to be changed, am wondering where to start?Things that I could think of are Passport/SSN/GC card/Credit cards.

I need you guys help in figuring out what is the best way to do. I would appreciate any kind of input.I would also appreciate if somebody who had actually gone thru this, could share his/her experience.

Thanks

No Title

1. Start with the passport most important.
2. Get your GC Changed next.
3. SSN- Drivers license etc.

This is the reason why before I sent my wife\'s PAcket3 I changed it in the passport then sent the packet3 with changed name.

No Title

You may want to get a "legal name change". Look for it on the web, add to the search your state of residence.
In CA you need to file with local court and get a court order. With this document, you go to DMV, SS office, INS to file I90.
Read instructions on I90 to know what is necessary.

Contact your local consulate to learn what is needed in terms of your country\'s documents (e.g. passport, ID card, DL, etc.).

name change

Hi,

Don\'t know if this will be helpful..

But if you have already have the GC then it may be a different issue..

My husband had given my new name while applying for I-485 and also mentioned my \'Maiden name\' in the column \'other names used\'.

However, I had not changed my passport as I was on H1 with my maiden name( came to US before marriage). I got EAD with new name and also approval notice with new name. Later, I got a new passport with my married name from the home country consulate, just before our case was approved (Mere intution). So when I stamped my GC I got it stamped on new PP. Now we recd the plastic card with married name.

I guess it is better to start with PP change from your country\'s consulate in US. Thatis easier.
Later you can change SSN name - very easy if you have changed PP.
Then DL - again a matter of few hrs in a line at DMV.
Then you can change in bank a/c\'s , credit cards etc.
This is what I did.

With GC to be changed I beleive it should also start with PP.

My few cents...

Regards,
illusion.

going to local INS for name change in GC?

Thanks for your comments.
Talking aboout name change in GC,is it going to take too much time? I got plastic but my wife did not get her plastic card yet.
INS recently sent a letter asking my wife to goto local INS(in San Jose,CA) with "2 GC style photoes".It seems INS misplaced her phototes. Can we use this as an opportunity to change her last name.Or is it good idea to get the plastic first and then think about name change later.
Thanks for your time.

Please Read My Thoughts & Respond!

Hi illusion!
You have provided very useful information with your experiences. Thanks for that.
I was trying to do the same in my wife\'s case, but, attorney didn\'t suggest to change name while applying for i-485 because PP has maiden name. So, I am wondering how did you do exactly while 485 is filed? Can you explain in detail?
My wife\'s GC is approved under maiden name, so now we have no alternative other going back to change PP first and rest later.
Ofcourse, we had no problem getting SSN with marriage last name and credit cards, etc.

I am concerned about what first step shall I take to change last name on GC. FYI - We are still waiting for plastic cards, is it right time to request INS for change of last name by filing any form (though her PP still shows maiden name)......please advise!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Is it a must to change the maiden name??

If yes what r the implications involved later in time.

No Title

One of the reasons for changing your wife\'s maiden name that I just found out: in New York (and maybe in other states too), the last name of a new born defaults to that of the mother. In order to do a name change after birth is a drawn out process involving paper ads and lawyers (and therefore best avoided).

No Title

It is not must but it will be convinient for you if you change.

I will give one incident that occurred to me and my wife.We were going to Vegas with few of our relations and one of our relations booked tickets for us and while booking tickets with airlines he gave my wife\'s last name as my last name.We did not notice this and at the airport gate, officials did not allow my wife to fly as the last name on ID did not match the one on the ticket.

You can avoid any hiccups like this if last names are same.

Wife\'s last name changed....

In my case, I got the name changed for my wife at the Indian Consulate in SFO soon after our marriage and got a new passport for her with my last name. This was before I applied for consular processing. Now, we are done with our CP and everything is perfectly fine. Her last name is same as mine at all the instances (ssn application, driver\'s license, ID, credit cards, etc).

I think the best thing to do after spouse enters in the US (after marriage) is to get the last name changed and obtain a new passport. This could avoid all future hassles (last name related, if any).

No Title

Bottom line is your passport is the ultimate source.Some people might have used the new name in I485, without using changing the passport. Legally you guys are wrong you really took a risk because your I485 could have even been denied.

List I gave in the 1st post is the right order.

Was the old pport attached to the new pport

Was the old pport attached to the new pport or was there a name change in the old pport...

No Title

KSW,
I am planning to go to SFO consulate as soon as my wife\'s cards arrive.
How long the SFO consulate takes to change last name? Does it take days or weeks? Or you can get it done on same day!!!Just curious.

Aprrecite your comments.

No Title

KSW, Thanks ;Can you eloberate little bit further?Were there any problems/hassels you encountered? Do they give new passport with changed name or give old one with mentioning of name change?

Appreciate your comments

The indian consulate issued a new passport....

with the new name, and stamped CANCELLED on the old passpart. They also made a small note in the new passport because of the name change and also giving the previous passport number.

By the way, the H1/H4 visas in the old passport are still valid even though the passport was cancelled. I basically requested the Consul to state that to avoid any problems.

Even was fine....let me know if you need more information

No Title

I am waiting for the plastic card and need name change too. I have my court order done and went to INS to file I-90. However, INS told me that I have to wait for the plastic card before I can file I-90.

No Title

For Indians:
In NY Indian consulate it sometimes takes 2 days to issue new passport after name change ... my wife went today and was told to come back on monday.