Possible to avoid 2yr return by changing home country citizenship?

CAMSCI

I'm a foreign Fulbright PhD student in US and subject to 2 yr return rule

I'm considering last resort tactics if my waiver applications are not successful.

I might have an opportunity to live and work in a third country.
Is it possible to get out of the fulbright 2yr home rule by living in a third country, getting residency and citizenship there (3-5 years), then applying for US residency (and then citizenship) through the third country? (I'm married to a US citizen).

Has anyone heard of that? Would I have to renounce my home country citizenship? If I did that and just took the third country citizenship, would that get me out the rule?

When you accepted the fellowship, you knew the requirements for home residency. Just fulfill you obligation and then your wife can file for your green card. It will be faster and far less suspect.

What exactly are you trying to avoid here? Leaving the US or not returning to your home country?

Is it possible to get out of the fulbright 2yr home rule by living in a third country, getting residency and citizenship there (3-5 years), then applying for US residency (and then citizenship) through the third country? (I'm married to a US citizen).

Has anyone heard of that? Would I have to renounce my home country citizenship? If I did that and just took the third country citizenship, would that get me out the rule?

I am trying to avoid going back to my home country.

I will try the waiver route first. But if that doesn't work, I want to do whatever I can to avoid the 2 return rule.

Triple Citizen, did you use this process? How did you get three citizenships?
Did you complete the 2yr return rule? Did you have to deal with fulbright?

Any advice for this last resort scenario of mine?

I'm a foreign Fulbright PhD student in US and subject to 2 yr return rule

I'm considering last resort tactics if my waiver applications are not successful.

I am afraid not. The 2-year home residency requirement (HRR) must be fulfilled unless you get a waiver. That is the one and only way to avoid it. You can beat around the bush by getting an O visa but ultimately, you have to fulfill it or get a waiver. Changing citizenship will not change the fact and might even be harder for you ultimately because the 2-yr HRR must be fulfilled in the county where you were a permanent resident of when you got your DS-2019 OR, most likely than the former, you might not even be allowed to change your US visa or status in the first place, much less get a citizenship because the 2-yr HRR is a pre-requisite for a visa change regardless of your citizenship as long as the DOS says you are subject to it. It is indelibly etched in your record and only a waiver can erase that. Sad but true. I wish you good luck and may you find the best solution possible.

I did not move to the US on a J-1 visa. I was born in Pakistan. Moved to Canada in my 20s and naturalised. Moved to the US in my 30s and naturalised. Thus my 3 citizenships.

If you don't mind sharing, what is your home country that you are so desperate to avoid returning to? Wasn't it because of this country that you got a J-1 visa in the first place?

I am trying to avoid going back to my home country.

Triple Citizen, did you use this process? How did you get three citizenships?