Port of entry and docs

kanuk@york

Registered Users (C)
Nine years ago, when I first attempted to enter the US and applied for a TN I went to the port of entry in Lacolle Quebec. At that time, I was denied entry because the agent determined that I did not meet the combination of work experience and college credits.

A few days later, dressed in suite and with the same information, I went to a different port near Cornwall Ont and the agent approved my petition and I've been working in the US since.

Since that first denial, I’ve always feared that I would run into a hard *** agent that would deny my renewing petition because of the docs. On the other hand, I do believe that if I've satisfied the requirements for several agents (in person at port of entry and VIA mail)

My family and I are planning a trip to Plattsburgh NY in 2 weeks and my TN is up for renewal on 9/11 and I do think it would be convenient to go to Lacolle QC and renew (site of my first denial).

Being that my current TN is still valid and that my employer is renewing my contract, should I take a chance and go to Lacolle, apply VIA mail or go to a port of entry that has in the past been processing my TN (Cornwall and 1000 islands)?

Thank you for the assistance.

Back when I worked under a TN, I had one agent say I didn't meet the qualifications. But at another POE, the agent said the first one was completely wrong and approved me, as did others at other POE's later - also saying the first guy was totally incorrect. I would chalk it up to lack of training, but it's not beyond belief that some POE's just don't really understand TNs.

As long as you have the necessary paperwork and the right attitude. It should be OK.

The other posts just remind me of the movie "Firefox". A KGB agent like to say "your papers are not in order" when he felt there was something fishy, even though the papers were in perfect order!

Perhaps that's how they were trained.

I just don't know...

Got the TN

Hello Folks, wanted to update the user community on the status of my TN petition.

My current TN was to expire 9/11. I went to a POE today in Lacolle Qc. Site of my first denial! Was really intimidated but figured my current TN was still valid and worse case was I would need to submit my renewal VIA mail.

The officer looked at my docs and did raise objections with the fact that it was not a 4Y degree, however I had all my previous letter of employements and after glancing at them, he said "yeah you got the experience".

Was easy as cake... so to all potential applicants. Keep your previous letters of employement! they can sometimes be a life savor.

Thank you all for your help.