political asylum,need help to survive death.

yasser94

Registered Users (C)
hi all
my father was an officer in the Syrian Army for 2 decades ,he retired 7 years ago and now the Regime send him an order to go back due to the Armed conflict in Syria now.
for sure my father doesn't want to go back because simply he doesn't want to kill any 1 but if he doesn't he will face 20 years of jail or even execution.
can he apply for political asylum at the US embassy in Beirut ?? or he has to be inside the US??
my father has 2 Brothers and 1 sister in the US and they all are citizens , can they do anything for him?

waiting for your advice/answer ...

best;

I think you can't apply at the embassy. You need to be physically present in the United States.

I think he can! Or any USA borders or territory! I know a guy who applied at the border in Tijuana.
hi all
my father was an officer in the Syrian Army for 2 decades ,he retired 7 years ago and now the Regime send him an order to go back due to the Armed conflict in Syria now.
for sure my father doesn't want to go back because simply he doesn't want to kill any 1 but if he doesn't he will face 20 years of jail or even execution.
can he apply for political asylum at the US embassy in Beirut ?? or he has to be inside the US??
my father has 2 Brothers and 1 sister in the US and they all are citizens , can they do anything for him?

best;

if you can't apply for asylum unless you are in the US ,why they created the asylum program ?? I think it is useless.

how can he apply out side the US?? Us borders or territory or something? please be specific.

He is from Africa. He flew to Tijuana/Mexico because he didnt need a visa to go to Mexico then he walked and asked for asylum at the IO's gate.

Two types of protection

hi all

best;

There are two types of refugee protection that are offered by the US, asylum under section 208 of the INA, which handles those who are in the US or arriving at a port of entry, and refugee resettlement under section 207 of the INA, which handles those who are refugees overseas in third countries where they cannot get some sort of permanent status. There are also some exceptional circumstances when overseas refugees can be processed in their own country, without having to travel to a third country. Such in-country processing is currently being done in Cuba, Russia and Iraq. For a Syrian, they would have to leave to a third country, preferably one where refugees are currently be processed. At this time there are Iraqi refugees being processed in Beirut, Istanbul and Amman. Once in a third country there needs to be a referral made to the US refugee resettlement program. The Embassy can, in extraordinary cases, make the referral themselves, but referrals more commonly come from the UNHCR.

Hey Yasser
How are you , i am syrian too ,, i am here in the States . look , concentrate with me :
let your relatives in the States send an invitation letter for your father to visit the states depends of Visitor visa B1/B2
LET HIM APPLY ALONE , and dont mention anything about applying for asylum or refugee ,, just try to get the visitor visa which is his right to visit his relatives since he didnt see then for two or more years ,, let your relatives send your father an invitation letter by email , and send the same letter to the embassy in Jordan / Amman , dont apply to Beirut , apply to Amman , your chance is bigger there ,,,
let him bring a bank account ( 5000 $ ) would be good , and some papers refer that he has properties in Syria
and if he works let him bring a paper says that he is working in the X company until now and his salary is ***
and let him bring a family certificate that he has family and kids still in Syria ...
and let him go there alone and apply for the visa
and if you need any help . just contact me and i am ready ,,,

If his family lives here and I am assuming they are legal, why dont they apply for his green card ? You can do that!

Hey Yasser
How are you , i am syrian too ,, i am here in the States . look , concentrate with me :
let your relatives in the States send an invitation letter for your father to visit the states depends of Visitor visa B1/B2
LET HIM APPLY ALONE , and dont mention anything about applying for asylum or refugee ,, just try to get the visitor visa which is his right to visit his relatives since he didnt see then for two or more years ,, let your relatives send your father an invitation letter by email , and send the same letter to the embassy in Jordan / Amman , dont apply to Beirut , apply to Amman , your chance is bigger there ,,,
let him bring a bank account ( 5000 $ ) would be good , and some papers refer that he has properties in Syria
and if he works let him bring a paper says that he is working in the X company until now and his salary is ***
and let him bring a family certificate that he has family and kids still in Syria ...
and let him go there alone and apply for the visa
and if you need any help . just contact me and i am ready ,,,

They should be citizens to apply green card for their dad otherwise it will take longer. And the case is very urgent.
I think applying visitor visa is a good idea.
Good luck

While it is possible that a Syrian could apply for a visitors visa to come to the US at the USE in Damascus, it is not probable that such a visa would be granted. The assumption of the consular officer would be that the applicant was seeking to apply for asylum once in the US. The quickest way to safety is to get out of Syria and apply for resettlement in the US as a refugee. Unfortunately, at this point, Syrians are not recognized as a group of humanitarian concern to the US, so priority 2 and priority 3 are not available, but a Syrian, with a really good case, could apply under priority 1. But it would have to be a very compelling case.

Priority 1 covers refugees for whom resettlement seems to be the appropriate durable solution,
who are referred to the U.S. refugee program by UNHCR, a U.S. embassy, or a designated NGO.
Such persons often have compelling protection needs, and may be in danger of attack or of being
returned to the country they fled. All nationalities are eligible for this priority.

The USE Damascus has info about refugee processing up on their website. Here is what it says:

The U.S. Refugee admissions program is administered by the Department of Homeland Security, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Applicants for admission to the United States under the program are processed at certain USCIS offices abroad. Damascus is not a refugee-processing post and no processing for the U.S. Refugee program takes place in Syria.

Persons seeking admission to the United States through the U.S. Refugee admissions program may be processed at the United States diplomatic posts located in Athens, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Madrid, Manila, Mexico City, New Delhi, Rome and Vienna. Please note, however, that the United States government cannot take responsibility for the movement of applicants to any of these locations, can offer no assistance to applicants seeking necessary permission or visas to effect such movement, and can offer no guarantee to another country that the applicant entering that country will be accepted for entry into the United States as a refugee.

Refugees are also processed through NGOs, like IOM, International Rescue Committee, or Catholic Migration Services. There are refugee resettlement offices being operated in Amman, Beirut, and Istanbul, which should all be easily accessible from Syria. But once there a refugee would have to contact the UNHCR to obtain a referral to the program.

thanks brother for your valuable note , and let me correct some for you ( about syria )
first . there is no US embassy in Syria now
second , referring by NGOs or UNHCR is some quit to be impossible in Syria specially in our case here he is not a member in any of those but he served and retired from the army and now the regime is trying to pull him again to serve the army for al assad
thats it ....
Visitor visa is still available ,, i know 3 people took it the last week only ,, USA knows about asylees and that Syrians will never back to syria if they reached the states specially in the light of the current v bad situation ...

my advise not to make it complicated and try a Visitor visa ,, if things didnt go well .. then try to fled away illegally to turkey or any other place then to europe to one the the US embassy there to try a refugee thing you mentioned

Yes I forgot that the Embassy in Damascus closed over a year ago. But it still stands, that consular officers are loath to give visas to individuals from conflict countries. You may have been one of the lucky few and know a few others, but getting the visa will still be difficult. Since they will have to travel out of the country to apply for the visas, Amman or Beirut would be logical places and in both places USCIS conducts regular refugee interviews for Iraqis. It would be best not to put all eggs in one basket and check with UNHCR office in whatever city they travel to to see if they would refer the case as priority one.

The fact he was an officer may put him at special risk, and the type of duty he performed in the army will make a difference too.