Political Asylum for Syrians in the US??

yasser94

Registered Users (C)
hi
I am a High school student in Syria and going to graduate in 4 weeks.
I have been arrested for 5 days by the secret services here in Syria for participating in a conversation !!!!!
and I could go out after my father paid 7 thousands dollars for them!!!
I really want to leave Syria now but I can't before I graduate from High school.
my uncle will help me getting into College in the US once I graduate to study engineering ...
so I want to ask you guys:

can I apply for political asylum in the US?

should I do that once I arrive to the airport?

can I hire a lawyer to help me?

if I got the request accepted ,will I have a green card then?

what if the Judge or the USCIS denied my request?? will I have to leave the US?

I am going to the US with F-1 visa , will applying to political asylum affect my visa? and will the USCIS terminate my visa in case they denied the P.A request?

what do you advice me ? is that a good idea to apply or not?

best;

hey bro
the answers for your questions are :
- Yes you can apply
- no Not in the airport, take your time to prepare your case ( within 2-3 months )
- yes you can hire a lawyer ( about 3-4 thousands , if accepted in Asylum office )
- if you've been accepted you will have the opportunity to have a qreen card after 1 year of continuous residency
- if you have F1 visa and valid , you can stay on your status ( F1 ) as much as you can extend it
- and applying itself doesnt effect your visa , but if the decision have not been fast , it might effect your focusing to study and live normal.

anyway , i have a very important advice and notice to take into consideration , but i have few questions first :
1- do you already have a visa ? F1 visa is now on your passport ?
2- can you approve that you have been arrested ? do you have any medical report or X-ray or pictures ? or anything
3- bro, asylum is based on a sentence " fear of persecution , and that means that you are afraid from coming back to your country because of the government which will arrest you or kill you or torture you " you HAVE TO APPROVE THAT IN THE INTERVIEW , THATS WHY your graduation will effect your Asylum case , because the first question they will ask you is : why and how did you stay in Syria after arresting and continue to graduate from high school if you have a fear of persecution !?
i know the answer , but they dont know it , the answer is because the first branch of security service had released you , but that doesnt mean the another branch will not arrest you one more time , but the answer wont be reasonable because it might not convince the officer ( because he didnt live in Syria ) , anyway ,,,, the last few lines couldnt be real , and all that might not be happened , and the office might grant you depending on your one time arresting , i am not a lawyer and i am not Sure of any opinion about your case ,
i mean , collect every single evidence from Syria , and anything you think it is valuable or even you think it is not , bring everything
and discuss your case here with a lawyer , and try to stay out of trouble and be safe until you leave the country

You can apply

hi
I am a High school student in Syria and going to graduate in 4 weeks.
I have been arrested for 5 days by the secret services here in Syria for participating in a conversation !!!!!
and I could go out after my father paid 7 thousands dollars for them!!!
I really want to leave Syria now but I can't before I graduate from High school.
my uncle will help me getting into College in the US once I graduate to study engineering ...
so I want to ask you guys:

can I apply for political asylum in the US?

should I do that once I arrive to the airport?

can I hire a lawyer to help me?

if I got the request accepted ,will I have a green card then?

what if the Judge or the USCIS denied my request?? will I have to leave the US?

I am going to the US with F-1 visa , will applying to political asylum affect my visa? and will the USCIS terminate my visa in case they denied the P.A request?

what do you advice me ? is that a good idea to apply or not?

best;

You can apply for asylum once you are here - most foreigners in the US can apply for asylum regardless of their legal status. There is a one year deadline, but you can qualify for an extraordinary circumstances exception to the one year rule if you are in valid nonimmigrant status. But you have to file in a reasonable amount of time after expiration of the status and there is no clear definition of what is a reasonable amount of time. But usually you are safe if you file within six months of the expiration of your status. You should consult with an attorney or seek the help of a law school immigration law clinic in preparing your application, so don't apply at the airport. Besides, if the inspector is a jerk he could decide that your F1 visa is not legitimate because you are seeking to immigrate and you will have to file for asylum from in detention. I've known of this happening to some people. Go to school and get settled and then consult someone to help you start preparing your case. If the asylum office denies your application and you are in valid nonimmigrant status (F1), you will remain in that status. The asylum application won't affect your status.

How can I add or post a new thread to explain my case ?

Last edited by a moderator: