Police Clearance Certificate

roger707

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everybody,

I had my original Conusular Interview on Sept 17th 2002. But I had to reschedule my Interview date because my company could not confirm my Hire (I am a contractor). I was in India for a year at that time taking a break after my H1B expired. I had taken a PCC during that time in India. Now I have my date rescheduled for Sometime in September. Do I have to get another PCC for this one year? I am in the US now as a contractor again.

Thank you

Kannan

Originally posted by roger707
Hello Everybody,

I had my original Conusular Interview on Sept 17th 2002. But I had to reschedule my Interview date because my company could not confirm my Hire (I am a contractor). I was in India for a year at that time taking a break after my H1B expired. I had taken a PCC during that time in India. Now I have my date rescheduled for Sometime in September. Do I have to get another PCC for this one year? I am in the US now as a contractor again.

Thank you

Kannan

From what you have posted the most important thing I notice is
you are about to complete the 1 year from your original interview schedule. Make sure the consulate does not consider this as an
abandonment.

About the PCC since you are back in US now, apply for a fresh
PCC with the nearest Indian Consulate(Embassy).

Raju

process for changing interview date

how does changing the interview date work?

do they always grant the change? and is the extension given only for 365 days?

per my understanding, you will require a PCC from India (local police/regional ppt office i am not sure) since you were there more than 6 months, plus a PCC from local consulate in USA, since you are here now.

Re: process for changing interview date

Originally posted by rohufish
how does changing the interview date work?

do they always grant the change? and is the extension given only for 365 days?

per my understanding, you will require a PCC from India (local police/regional ppt office i am not sure) since you were there more than 6 months, plus a PCC from local consulate in USA, since you are here now.

Rescheduling of the interview is per request by the candidate.
And from what I read they may or may not give for a particular date, but generally push it out by one or two months. I think this
is case by case basis and their work load etc.

The 365 days I referred to is the total time given from the original date of interview to complete the process. In other words if you
request a postponement it has to be no later than 1 year from
the originally scheduled date. ( Research on this aspect as I
may have missed some points ).

The PCC one gets from the Indian consulate is FOR THE STAY in
India. You do not need a PCC from US for your stay in US because
they have that information on line.

Raju

raju595, other senior members,

A question on PCC:

Is it necessary that we get PCC issued from local Indian Consulate in the US only. The same is possible from the regional passport office in India and is a lot quicker and I would believe the information contained in the PCC should be the same no matter from where it is issued.

Any comments ...

Originally posted by v_dharini
raju595, other senior members,

A question on PCC:

Is it necessary that we get PCC issued from local Indian Consulate in the US only. The same is possible from the regional passport office in India and is a lot quicker and I would believe the information contained in the PCC should be the same no matter from where it is issued.

Any comments ...

Where you apply and get the PCC is determined by where you
are right now. The instructions clearely say that if you are applying for the GC from outside(outside India) then you should
approach the Indian Consulate at that place for your PCC.

It is true that the Consulate issues the PCC based on the feedback received ( or no response) from the passport office
back home.

This is the laid down procedure, while your logic may be correct I cannot say why we cannot get a PCC from local authorities while staying in US. From what I read in several posts the passport office is not entertaining requests by a third party on behalf of a person who is currently in US.

I also do not agree with the statement that getting a PCC locally is easier than getting it from the Indian Consulate in US. My experience is , I submitted and after the designated period I got it. That's all , no running around offices and such thing.

Raju

Hi Raju595,

I am not sure if you understood my message completely but this is what I meant -

Supposing you arrive in Chennai, say 10 days prior to your CP interview it is possible for you to approach the regional passport office in Chennai to issue a current PCC. This happens within a couple of days based on my own experience in Chennai. I think the only catch here is that this is possible only if your passport was issued in Chennai. Compare this against 1 month that CGI Houston is taking for issueing PCC.

My only question is, in this scenario will the US Consulate in Chennai say that your PCC is invalid as you did not get it from local Indian Consulate in the US ??

But again I do understand that most of us will try to get them from the US before departing just to be safe.

Thanks,

the question....

I understood your question.

The candidate currently lives in US. For whatever the reason he/she has not approached the Indian Consulate in US.

Came to Chennai 10 days ahead of the interview and approached the passport office for the PCC and got it.

Now the question is, whether the Consulate would be satisfied with this PCC ??

I do not know! Maybe an email to the consulate would settle the issue!

Most of us approach the local consulate NOT because it is SAFE, but because it is the prescribed way!

Raju

Last edited by a moderator: