Police Clearance Certificate

ranjeetg

Registered Users (C)
Is it possible to get the Police Clearance Certificate from India? I live in Boston and will be going to India this month. The PCC doen't have to be from NY am I correct? Please help

Originally posted by ranjeetg
Is it possible to get the Police Clearance Certificate from India? I live in Boston and will be going to India this month. The PCC doen't have to be from NY am I correct? Please help

If you live in the US you do not need police certificate from India.
However, if you plan to stay in India for more than 6 months, you will need a PCC.

Please Clear more......

There is a PCC requirement as posted in Mumbai Immigrant web site for IV. Now If I am living in USA do I need to obtain a PCC from any Indian Consulate in USA or Not...Is a PCC from my Indian home town is OK. Expert Please reply , this is most important question for us.

Re: Please Clear more......

Originally posted by gcbol
There is a PCC requirement as posted in Mumbai Immigrant web site for IV. Now If I am living in USA do I need to obtain a PCC from any Indian Consulate in USA or Not...Is a PCC from my Indian home town is OK. Expert Please reply , this is most important question for us.

This is what is on Mumbai's website:
Do I need to get a police certificate for the interview?

All Indian IV applicants aged 16 and over, residing in India, should obtain police certificates from the Local Passport Office. Applicants whose Indian passport was issued within the past six months may present just the Passport Office Police Certificate, and need not obtain additional police clearances.

Applicants over age 16, whose passports were issued more that six months previous to visa application, must also obtain a police clearance from the District Police Office serving the applicant's place of residence.

Indian passport holders applying for visas outside India should obtain a statement from their local embassy or consulate confirming they have no criminal record.

Non-Indian IV applicants residing in India should obtain police certificates from the District Police Station serving their area of residence.

Indian police certificates are not available for foreign (non-Indian) applicants applying outside India.

However, if the applicant has resided abroad since the age of 16 for periods of six months or more, then a police certificate might be required from that country, depending on which country it was. A full list of countries where police certificates are considered to be unavailable is at the National Visa Center web site.

The 3rd paragraph implies that if you live in US, you only need a PCC from local Indian embassy/consulate.