• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Police Certificate in Canada and other questions on Police Certificate for DV lottery

babydiams

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I left my country when i was 19. and lived in France for a few years before moving to the USa where i lived for about 7 years and now i am in Canada.
Should i get the police certificates for all those countries (my home country, france, USA, canada) or should i just look for the police certificate of canada.

In canada, it seems that they have two things:
Certified criminal record check and Canadian Police Certificate

a certified criminal record check requires you to have your fingerprints taken and take about 120 days so about 4 months.
and a canadian police certificate that i think is faster to get and only requires your name and date of birth.

Which one is more appropriate for the Immigrant Visa of the DV lottery.

hello
you must do this for every country where you have been for more than 6 months after your 16th anniversary
in canada, since you are in , you just have to do the name check
that is what I did
you welcome

diams.. la chanteuse la? lol, baby diams... anyway, how long have you lived in Canada & France? For usa you do need to get anything, if you have a US criminal record they'll know it, you do not need the american one. You will need only the ones from countries you lived at least for 12 months
Hello,

I left my country when i was 19. and lived in France for a few years before moving to the USa where i lived for about 7 years and now i am in Canada.
Should i get the police certificates for all those countries (my home country, france, USA, canada) or should i just look for the police certificate of canada.

a certified criminal record check requires you to have your fingerprints taken and take about 120 days so about 4 months.
and a canadian police certificate that i think is faster to get and only requires your name and date of birth.

hello
you must do this for every country where you have been for more than 6 months after your 16th anniversary
in canada, since you are in , you just have to do the name check
that is what I did
you welcome

nope, 6 month is for you country of residency, all other countries, you have to have been there at least 12 months

lived in a different country for more than 12 months

was 16 years or older at that time

the police authorities of that locality.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4760.html

Thanks guys, that s really helpful.
I lived in Paris for about 2 years and came recently in Canada less than a year.
I have a old police certificate from back home from 2003. Should i get a new one? or is that one okay since i did not go there ever since.
is there a time limit of validity on the police certificate?

nope, 6 month is for you country of residency, all other countries, you have to have been there at least 12 months

lived in a different country for more than 12 months

was 16 years or older at that time

the police authorities of that locality.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4760.html

Just got the Canadian Police Station on the phone... Jay2ok is right.

the police station is not able to release a police certificate if you have been in the country for 6 months. even more than 6 months is not enough... so it should be more than 12 years for countries other than your country of residency as specified in the travel.state.gov website.

Hello,

Yes, you need ALL police certificates from countries where you have been living more than 6 months after you were 16 YO
I guess the second certificate, without biometrics, is enough...

JM