Poker player for citizenship

Doc100

Hello,

I received my GC through National Interest Waiver. I later quit my job and became a full-time poker player. How will this affact my citizenship application? Am I still qualified? Thanks.

Actually, one of the questions is (Part D, Question 22.f):

Have you ever... Gambled illegally or received income from illegal gambling?

(hint, "No" is a good answer)

I hope you are doing your poker-playing in a legal way. Otherwise, it's probably best not to tell the USCIS about it.

I mainly play poker on internet. I think it is legal, right? Another issue is what I am doing now is not national interest anymore. Since I received my GC through NIW, will this affect my citizenship application? Thanks.

Internet gambling is ILLEGAL in the US and lately the government has been taking action against internet gambling websites.

If internet gambling were legal, why do the CEOs of the major poker websites all live offshore? Last I heard, most are afraid to set foot in the US in case they get arrested.

Quite frankly, I don't think its in your best interests to tell USCIS you are a professional internet gambler.

Thanks for the links, Aibilit . Many poker players including myself believe it is legal to play internet poker. The US law is mainly after business operations. But as I can see from this forum, the majority probably believe it is illegal playing internet poker. I just don't know how will USCIS see it. The lawyers I talked to don't know for sure. Should I take my chance? What do you guys think? Thanks.

If you've filled your taxes based on playing poker then that's what you should fill on your form.

You might want to leave online gambling out of your forms though.

Doc100 said:
Yes, including self-employment tax.

Legal and Illegal is relative.
Online gambling is legal unless there are state or local laws are against it. Some states and some counties have laws against it others don't.

It does not matter what you think is right or wrong....if there are local laws against it where you performed gambling activity...then it is illegal...otherwise it is legal gambling.