POE question, Gurus pls respond

MJ1

Registered Users (C)
I completed CP successfully at Mumbai on 1/22 and am flying back on 1/26 to Chicago.
In OF230 Part I, mother\'s name at birth was asked for.
My mother\'s first name and last name both changed after marriage as was the custom back then.
Now my visa cover sheet shows my mother\'s maiden first name. However, my passport shows my mother\'s name after marriage.
Does this create a problem at POE? What document will suffice? We have their marriage certificate but it shows the name before marriage and there is no other document that shows that the person with these names is the same person. The same problem has also happened on my wife\'s visa.
Are these things looked at at POE? Anybody had any similar experiences? Please help. Thanks.
MJ1

Hi MJ1,

At the POE -office can correct that .. May be you can bring to their
attension ..

Congratulation for GC..

Did Mumbai consulate accept USD cash for fee?

Thanks

Dont worry, Mother\'s name is optional.

They won\'t cross verify all those things as they are optional. What is important is your name, DOB, category, photo thats it. Good luck.

The use of parents name...

My lawyer told me why we supply our parents\' names for our GC (I was really surprised that they should know the birthdate and birthplace of my parents).

The story is that this information helps you if you lose your Green Card (card or stamp) and in other such situations. Just like credit card company asks for your mother\'s maiden name for security, US government needs more solid data than just the name. Afterall it\'s Green Card.

The second reason is that sometimes the parents might have had permanent residency themselves and in that case, you might be able to get GC as a derivative. in that case they need to make sure that your parents are exactly the same as they think.

anyway, the whole idea is remember what you wrote in your OF230 as your mother\'s name. if they point out the discrepancy, explain them. don\'t worry too much. relax. and congrats!!!