PLZ need advice! About to loose my job...

Nau

Registered Users (C)
Please, need advice! I'm about to loose my job - what to do?

Hey everybody!
My first post here, and already questions, questions :p
Anyways, it looks like I'm in trouble and would appreciate any advice you may have for my case.
EB-2, worldwide
My I-140 was approved in the end of Feb,07, I-485 RD 3/12/07
Now the company I work for and that sponsors me is about to close down.
What are my options?
Should I sit without job and wait till 180 days after I-485 RD and then, find a similar job and invoke AC21?
Should I find a job right away? (Money is not the main issue at this point in time, rather the success of I-485!)
Can USC send an RFE for I-485 application only (I140 already approved)? If yes, what do they want in RFE?
Shall I get EAD ASAP? Now I'm working as a J1 academic training and dont have EAD.

Thank you very much in advance,

Nau

Last edited by a moderator:
APPLY FOR EAD immediately !!!
This is a no brainer.

Legally you should wait for 180 days or till you get your Green card whichever is sooner. Check with an attorney.

Good luck

APPLY FOR EAD immediately !!!
This is a no brainer.

Legally you should wait for 180 days or till you get your Green card whichever is sooner. Check with an attorney.

Good luck

Thanks Rasmeek!
Applying for EAD ASAP makes sense only in a case I can start another job before 180 days are passed, otherwise I have plenty of time to apply for it later, so that it will have later expiration date. Hence was the question about EAD.
The main question though remains "Can I start another job?"
What may happen if I do? What happens if I stay off job? For both of these scenarios, what may happen if I-485 is being adjudicated before 180 days are gone, and what if after?
It is not my choice after all that the company decided to close...Not like I found a better position.

Thanks again,

Nau

Gurus, pretty please, any advice? :(
Can I start another job?

1) What may happen if I do, in case...
a) I-485 is adjudicated before 180 days are gone?
b) I-485 is adjudicated after 180 days are gone?

2) What happens if I stay off job?
a) I-485 is adjudicated before 180 days are gone?
b) I-485 is adjudicated after 180 days are gone?

You will need the EAD to work, even after 180 days, unless you have a GC by then.

The application fees are $170 plus $30 for pictures, Fedex etc. If you save a few months time on it, it really won't add up to too much money.

USCIS takes around 2 months to process these anyway.

Also, most employers would verify your status (EAD) before a job interview.

To all your new questions, USCIS usually does not verify your job while approving 485's. If you get the GC in the mail, take it and party.

Rasmeek

I would say the only thing - U need to worry is will your company revoke I-140? I am assuming not, then I don't think you are in any trouble...

Most of your questions will be answered...if you think of Green Card...as for future employment scenario....Think of it as that this current company applied for you as future employment...(even though you are already working for them)...

So, in that case after 180 days of filing I-485, you could say that you intend to change your intent to a differnt employer....

I think, you are safe as long as your I-140 is not revoked by your employer withing 180 days of filing I-485....

About the RFE scenario, since you are already working for the employer when you filed I-140/485...the will not ask for EVL (Employment Verification Letter)....all other RFE's are pretty much your's like medicals/date of birth proofs/status proofs etc...So, I would say, it's relatively not an issue

I would say the only thing - U need to worry is will your company revoke I-140? I am assuming not, then I don't think you are in any trouble...

Most of your questions will be answered...if you think of Green Card...as for future employment scenario....Think of it as that this current company applied for you as future employment...(even though you are already working for them)...

So, in that case after 180 days of filing I-485, you could say that you intend to change your intent to a differnt employer....

I think, you are safe as long as your I-140 is not revoked by your employer withing 180 days of filing I-485....

About the RFE scenario, since you are already working for the employer when you filed I-140/485...the will not ask for EVL (Employment Verification Letter)....all other RFE's are pretty much your's like medicals/date of birth proofs/status proofs etc...So, I would say, it's relatively not an issue

banta4gc, thanks!

Indeed, the company will not revoke approved I-140.
It is good to hear that in possible RFEs they will not ask for the EVL or paystubs! All other, personal stuff I hope is not going to be a problem.

Do I understand correctly that you suggest me to stay out of job till I-485 is pending more than 180 and only then to start a new job?

Thank you again,

Nau