Pls Help me to prepare for a LAY-OFF! :(

sky88

Registered Users (C)
Dear all

It looks like I might soon be laid off by my company, so in preparation for this "tragic event", I hope some of u guys can help me out..by giving me advice and suggestions.

Here are my questions:

1) My I485 Receipt Date is 5/1/07 (or they go by the notice date 5/4/07???), so I should have the portability to work for another company after 11/1/07 IF I ever get laid off and find a job by then?

2) What are the things that this new company needs to do (in terms of USCIS or GC paperwork) in order to hire me legally? Do they still need to
"sponsor" me? I mean when applying for jobs, I need to know if I should
state that I still require "sponsorship"?

3) Anything I need to do on my side when the new company hires me? eg: Notify USCIS?

4) If I get laid off and can't find another job, what is the "grace period" that I can still remain in the US without being considered "out of status"? Or I don't really need to have a "job" to stay legal after 180 days?

5) Worst scenario, I got laid off before 11/4/07, what are my options in order to remain in the US legally?

We just have a new born baby boy, I really need to know ahead of time to better prepare for this potential tragic event!

Thanks in advance...

Sky

Last edited by a moderator:
all u need from the new company to exercise AC-21 portability is an offer letter and yes u do have to notify USCIS.

Thank greynicolls.

1) Just to make sure...so when i apply for a new job, I don't need the new company's sponsorship?

2) But what if they asked "what's my status? Am I legal to work without sponsorship?". I just tell them I am in AOS, so I am legal to work without sponsorship?

3) So the company doesn't need to file anything with the USCIS regarding my employment, correct?

4) I just need to wait for my GC approval at home?

sorry....for the many questions..

Firstly, my sympathy to you. But this kind of things happens, the important thing is to move along and not make mistakes which you have to regret later. Glad you asked this questions in advance and are doing your ground work.

As long as you have valid EAD the employer will not ask you anything. You will be legal till a decision is made on your I485 case, Receipt notice is enough for it. You cannot work on an expired EAD though.

You may send AC-21 document to USCIS, but in my case I didn't but still got approved.

Good Luck and hope things will work out.

read this article by the murthy law firm

AC21 Portability And Retrogression
by Murthy Law et al.
This article originally appeared in Murthy Bulletin (www.murthy.com) on March 3, 2006.

Portability Applies to I-485 Applicant without Current Priority Date

AC21 portability is generally available to an individual who is the beneficiary of an approved I-140 and whose I-485 has been pending at least 180 days. The benefits of AC21 portability are available to any otherwise qualified individual, even if there is not an available visa number for his/her case. As explained in our May 27, 2005 MurthyBulletin article, Yates May 2005 Memo on AC21 and I-140s, a USCIS memo on AC21 issues specifically states that AC21 portability remains available to an I-485 applicant who is impacted by retrogression. As long as the person had previously filed the I-485 when the priority dates were current and that I-485 remains pending, one does not need to have a current priority date in order to change jobs under AC21. Given that some I-485 applicants may be retrogressed for several years, particularly those in the EB3 classification with recent priority dates, this ability to change jobs may be very useful in allowing individuals to progress in their careers or to find new employment in the event of a lay-off. As with any major decision, it is important to be aware of the potential risks involved before changing jobs.

AC21 Allows Multiple Job Changes

An applicant whose I-485 adjudication may be delayed by several years as the result of retrogression could be in the situation of having to change jobs not just once, but multiple times. The question of whether one may take advantage of AC21 portability more than once and still obtain the green card approval is neither addressed in the AC21 law, nor in any USCIS policy guidance. It would appear that, provided the basic requirements for AC21 portability are met, one would be eligible to change jobs or employers multiple times pursuant to AC21. Based on our experience to date at the Murthy Law Firm, the USCIS seems to agree that porting more than once is acceptable and allowed under AC21. Potentially, this could be restricted via regulation or policy memo, however.

AC21 requires as well that the applicant have a permanent (non-temporary) job offer as the underlying basis for the green card approval. If one has a history of bouncing from job to job, this could raise questions as to employment stability and whether the individual has a qualifying, permanent job offer. Therefore, when there is a choice with regard to changing jobs, employment stability and the potential for longevity with the new employer are valid concerns.

Salary Considerations for the New Job

Attorneys in our firm are frequently asked about the impact of a difference in salary when changing jobs under AC21. We are also asked what "same or similar" really means in order for one to be eligible under AC21 portability. USCIS policy memoranda, particularly the May 12, 2005 Memo referenced above, have been quite favorable on these matters. However, in that same memo, the USCIS stated that the forthcoming AC21 regulations "may take a more restrictive position than this memorandum." Therefore, while issues such as salary differences do not appear to be problematic at present, foreshadowing indicates that this could change when the regulations are released at some future date.

When explaining the risk of potentially stricter AC21 regulations to I-485 applicants, we are frequently asked, "If I change jobs under AC21 and the regulations are released after that, they won't apply to me, right?" Unfortunately, this is not correct. While it is not possible to predict the content or effective date of any future regulations, they will likely apply at the time of adjudicating the I-485 application, and not just when the job change occurs. In a hypothetical example, if new regulations were to limit the percentage of acceptable salary difference, or prevent multiple portings, the officer adjudicating the I-485 could decide that the job change violates the regulations, even if the change occurred months or years before the new regulations were issued.

I-140 Revocation and its Impact on Green Card Approval

Finally, any AC21 applicant, whether impacted by retrogression or not, should be aware that if the petitioning employer revokes the I-140, this can cause complications, possibly including a denial. While the revocation of an I-140 petition by the employer should not cause a denial after one becomes eligible for AC21 portability, the procedures applied sometimes create problems.
The USCIS stated in an August 4, 2003 memo that, if a sponsoring employer revokes an approved I-140 petition after the I-485 application has been pending for 180 days or longer, and there is no notification on file that the foreign national is using AC21 portability, the USCIS must then issue a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) the I-485. In order to prevent the USCIS from issuing a NOID, it is generally advisable for the applicant to notify the USCIS of the job change under AC21 as soon as possible.
©MurthyDotCom
We at the Murthy Law Firm, however, have seen cases where, despite prompt and timely AC21 notification, the USCIS still erroneously has issued NOIDs. Since it is common for a NOID to have only a 30-day deadline for response, this must be filed promptly. Thus, if the NOID is not sent to the correct address or there is some other problem preventing a timely response, the case likely will be denied. While the denial sometimes can be overcome, this is obviously a serious problem that possibly requires filing a Motion, which can be draining both in terms of finances and the mental and emotional toll taken on the affected parties.
At the Murthy Law Firm, we are aware that the USCIS has mistakenly denied the I-485 in some instances after the I-140 has been revoked by the original sponsoring employer. At such times the USCIS should have just issued a NOID. While a denial due to USCIS error can normally be addressed in a Motion to Reopen, it is obviously never a good situation, especially if the applicant and/or the family members do not have a backup nonimmigrant status, such as H1B or H-4. Without the backup status, each I-485 applicant will be immediately out of status upon issuance of the denial. Often all employment cards are no longer valid once the I-485 is denied, as well, causing an additional financial toll on a family.

Conclusion - Deciding Whether or Not to Use AC21
©MurthyDotCom
While certain risks do exist in using AC21 portability, it remains a very useful option for those impacted by retrogression and needing or wanting to change jobs. We have been guiding both individuals and employers wishing to take advantage of the portability provisions under AC21 since it came into effect. An overwhelming majority of I-485 applicants working with our firm have successfully obtained the green card simply by taking advantage of AC21's portability provisions.
©MurthyDotCom
Before one changes jobs, we remind our readers that it is prudent to weigh potential risks against the benefits, and to assess one's backup plans before making this important decision. Because of the complexities involved and the ever-changing nature of AC21 guidance, it is also advisable to discuss the specifics of one's unique situation with an immigration lawyer who has considerable experience with AC21 cases. Ultimately, the decision will come down to one's comfort with a certain level of risk, and the depth of her/his desire (or need) to change jobs or employers. The Murthy Law Firm is available to those who may need guidance or help in notifying the USCIS of their decision to take advantage of AC21's portability provisions.

(c) MurthyDot.Com. Reproduced with permission.

Hudakchallu: I agree with you but:
The thing to keep in mind though is if one changes employer and relocate to another address (State) then you will need to notify uSCIS about the change of address. The change in address might then trigger RFE for employment verification at the time of adjudication so one would need to have an offer letter ready at that time and USCIS could also ask why the candidate didn't do an AC21 even though he/she changed employers.

My2cents

am_var

THANKS A MILLION for all ur advice....!!!!

Another idea (option) I have..let me know if this will work?

1) Since my wife has her EAD, so technically she can start a company. Say she starts a consulting firm and if I get laid off, I will work for her
company (with the same or similar job classification) during my Adjustment of Status. Will this option work?

2) Does USCIS care during I485 adjudication whether I got paid continuouslywhile employed with my spouse's company?

3) If for any reason, I decide to quit my spouse's company before I485adjudication and move to a different company, Will I be able to do this?

thank you very much.

THANKS A MILLION for all ur advice....!!!!

Another idea (option) I have..let me know if this will work?

1) Since my wife has her EAD, so technically she can start a company. Say she starts a consulting firm and if I get laid off, I will work for her
company (with the same or similar job classification) during my Adjustment of Status. Will this option work?

2) Does USCIS care during I485 adjudication whether I got paid continuouslywhile employed with my spouse's company?

3) If for any reason, I decide to quit my spouse's company before I485adjudication and move to a different company, Will I be able to do this?

thank you very much.

I recommend to get paid until end of your six month period from the filing date even if your paycheck dose not satisfy your LCA condition.

If you can keep some margin beyond 6month. But if it is not under your control then stick to 6month period.

Working for your wife's consulting company beyond 6month should not be a legal issue specially if you have a third person as executive officer of the company who could sign your future reference letters for USCIS. Having your wife signing your documents most probably raise some troubling RFEs.

Informing USCIS for AC-21 in most cases raises an RFE however it is not mandatory to do so. Many people do not inform USCIS unless there is an RFE at the time adjudication.

Make sure your new job description satisfies the same or simillar clause from the point of view of an immigration office. Make sure job descriptions are NOT exact copy of each other. That would sound that you are trying too hard :).

I hope you have your I-140/485 notices for your future correspondance.

Please use the above at your own risk and consult with a good lawyer.

Karma Rocks

AC-21 Issues -- Gurus please advise

I would like to change my employer who filed for my greencard.

My I-140 has already been approved and I-485 was received by USCIS on 7/13/07 and I also received my EAD card.

So, if I change my employer after 180 days of 7/13 (i.e., December 14th), do I have any risk?

If my current employer withdraws the I-140 after I left to join the new employer, but I already filed for AC-21 at that time:

Do I still have a little risk of getting my case complicated?

Please advise.

Got green card or no?

Dear all

As I started to look for new jobs, I was frequently asked if

a) I am an US Citizen - obviously NO!

b) Green card holder - technically my GC has been approved and I am just waiting for an adjustment of status (which who knows how long will that take!). But I do not require any kind of visa sponsorship. But how should I answer potential employers or recruiters this question given more of them do not understand what I485 is????

I mean if I say "I don't have a green card", then i won't be considered at all regardless if I explain to them that i have an EAD which allows me to work legally without company's sponsorship!

So how would u answer?

I guess employers ask the above questions primarily bcos they do not want to deal with immigration issues, correct? Not so much about security reasons right? (I am talking regular private companies..non-govt projects)

Pls advise.

thanks in advance

Sky

technically approved ?

bear with my ignorance... what do you mean by "technically approved"? you meant for the fact that you received a notice?

"approval" is all what you are waiting for...

As some one else pointed out, you are not "technically" approved, until you are officially approved. :) Having an EAD allows you to work for another employer, "using AC-21, given the 180 days, blah, blah." However, in the unlikely event of CIS rejecting your 485, your EAD is also automatically terminated.

With respect to what to say to the future employer, honesty is the best strategy, IMHO.

I would like to change my employer who filed for my greencard.

My I-140 has already been approved and I-485 was received by USCIS on 7/13/07 and I also received my EAD card.

So, if I change my employer after 180 days of 7/13 (i.e., December 14th), do I have any risk?

If my current employer withdraws the I-140 after I left to join the new employer, but I already filed for AC-21 at that time:

Do I still have a little risk of getting my case complicated?

Please advise.

PLEASE NOTE!! 180 days from 7/13/07 is 01/09/08 (January 9, 2008) and not December 14 as you specified. Please be aware of this date if you are planning to switch so that you will not be denied.