pls advise: changing job EB1-485, after six months

techy2468

Registered Users (C)
my wife works in cataract research (Vision Science) does she has to stick to eye research only when she is changing job.......or she can join any related discipline??

she works in Mol-Biology..

I guess USCIS is not going to investigate whether or not your wife is working in the same field. However, if they do call you for interview prior to approving GC, they might find this out, and may reject her application.

I believe that if the new job is broadly in the same area as that defined during I-140, you should be fine. USCIS just wants to discourage people from making a drastic change in employment. For example, if you get an I-140 for Cataract research and become a McKinsey Consultant, its definitely not acceptable. But if you move from Cataract research to Retina Detachment research (hypothetically), USCIS should not have much problem with that. I hope you understand what I mean. Being a researcher, you are expected to evolve your research, so you have room to maneuver.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an additional question. If I change my job within 2 months of filing I-485 (with EB1-EA Self filing I-140), will that create a problem in anyway?

Theoretically, for EB1-EA self-filing cases, once doesn't need to wait for six months after I-485 filing, but are there any practical problems? Does USCIS frown upon that?

Thanks.