Pledge of allegiance in public schools

Huracan

Registered Users (C)
Well, it's Friday, nothing much else to do than to reflect on immigrant children lives. Don't you find a bit odd that immigrant children (documented, undocumented) have to recite the pledge of allegiance every morning, when they are not citizens of this country. In many other areas (religion) accomodations are made for people not to have to pray or use religious expressions in many ceremonial recitations. Just think of some kids from Cambodia and Vietnam and El Salvador and other places who grew up in the U.S. , always reciting the pledge every morning, never cared to naturalize and after all this growing up in the country got kicked out when they had trouble with the law.

I think it is ok with adults, we know the rules and we come to this country voluntarily, but somewhat I feel bad for the bunch of kids who are taught to love this country in public schools, but are getting very little love in return. Kids whose only country they have known is this, and that by neglect from their parents, and sometimes their own neglect fail to naturalize and risk being deported when they run afoul of the law.

Of course the antiimmigrant folks are not going to fight against this, and could even raise their favorite points that schools are paid by taxes. They conveniently always forget that immigrants also pay taxes.

My 2 cents.

Reciting the pledge, registering for selective service and paying taxes does not make you an American. If you have legal permanent residence in the US you should become a citizen at the first opportunity ...especially if you have minor children. Like you, I feel bad for some of those children that suffer because of parental neglect but people should be aware of what they up against.

When my daughter entered school, I told her that it was inappropriate for her to say the pledge (since, as an immigrant, she really had no "alligiance" to the flag). She was 6 or 7 years old, but old enough to say "daddy, I like having friends".

I found it odd that when I was at my oath ceremony, and we sang the star spangled banner (before the oath itself), the judge leading the ceremony said "place your right hand over your heart".

The appropriate thing for non-citizens to do during the recital of the pledge (or when the flag is raised or lowered) is to stand at attention (hands at your side), face the flag and say nothing. The appropriate thing for non-citizens to do during the Star Spangled Banner is to stand at attention (hands at your side again), face the flag and sing along. Only US citizens should place their right hand over their hearts

I stood at attention during the opening Star Spangled Banner but I placed my hand over my heart at the closing pledge - I was a citizen at that point!

Flydog said:
When my daughter entered school, I told her that it was inappropriate for her to say the pledge (since, as an immigrant, she really had no "alligiance" to the flag). She was 6 or 7 years old, but old enough to say "daddy, I like having friends".

I found it odd that when I was at my oath ceremony, and we sang the star spangled banner (before the oath itself), the judge leading the ceremony said "place your right hand over your heart".

The appropriate thing for non-citizens to do during the recital of the pledge (or when the flag is raised or lowered) is to stand at attention (hands at your side), face the flag and say nothing. The appropriate thing for non-citizens to do during the Star Spangled Banner is to stand at attention (hands at your side again), face the flag and sing along. Only US citizens should place their right hand over their hearts

I stood at attention during the opening Star Spangled Banner but I placed my hand over my heart at the closing pledge - I was a citizen at that point!

And I think you did the right thing. I believe that one shouldn't expect citizen behavior on ceremonies from a non-citizen. If some people want to see citizen behavior, then they should push the government to speed up naturalizations, or shorten the amount of time one needs to be in this country before being eligible to naturalization. On the other hand, for kids is probably good not to feel excluded. However, it gives them the impression of being citizens without actually being citizens. It is a complicated issue, that's why I wanted to raise the issue for a Friday discussion.

Huracan said:
Don't you find a bit odd that immigrant children (documented, undocumented) have to recite the pledge of allegiance every morning, when they are not citizens of this country.

No, I don't see this any different from any other country. Just because other countries do not have as many immigrants compared to US, does not mean that other countries can do this while US cannot. As far as I know, and I do know this for sure for a lot of countries, they all make kids in elementary schools sing the National Anthem or something similar. Then why not in the US?

I think the parents can ask kids to be exempted from the recitation.

Also placing of hand on heart is not a hard and fast rule, citizens can just stand at attention during the anthem and pledge. For non citizens it is a personal choice but I would respect the anthem of any country.

I would feel awkward reciting the pledge though till I become a USC.