Please share your experience at Arlington office for Interim EAD

dependent

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone...
My EAD is expiring on 25th March and I am still waiting for 2nd EAD Approval. Its 60 days now from RD. Can anyone suggest me how to proceed for Interim EAD at Arlington VA office, I do have their 800 phone number……do I need to take appointment before I could go there………. I welcome sincere suggestions.

BtW:- My H1-B is expired and now I am on EAD. Should I get my new EAD or OK with EAD Receipt notice (like lately how people work with H1-B Receipt notices)

You cant work just on EAD receipt notice.
For Arlington details, please browse the thread under Trasfer tracker category for "transfer to Washington". Lot of people have posted details there..

check this link.....

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?threadid=110852&highlight=EAD

Just for information sake, my EAD expired on Jan 24th, 2004 and my 3 rd EAD approved on Feb 19th, 2004. I recieved my EAD card on Feb 24th.

I do not agree with SWaiting and others who believe you cannot work on EAD receipt notice.

vinidel1,
The basis of your logic is from a single conversation with the EAD officer. Least can be said about their intelligence and that logic holding ground.. There is no written document for that and every other INS person will give you a different answer.. If you call the 800 no right now, they will disagree with you..

It all depends on your and company comfort level.. If you and your company are comfortable on the basis of the receipt, sure go ahead...

goodluck

there is no public contact no for the local office. You have to make a visit there..

goodluck

As far as me, my EAD was expired and my company and my lawyer asked me to work anyway and i worked for couple of months with just the reciept ,any way i dont think this will work with all the companies ,it all depends upon the company that you work for.

I recently got my interim EAD from Arlington Office. This is how it worked. My EAD expired on Jan 25, 2004. It will only be 60 days odd since I applied for EAD. I went to the INS office 10 days before Jan 25. The information guy didn't even give me the token to let me know. He asked me to come back on Jan 25, with a letter from my company, stating that I will loose my job if I don't get the EAD. So went back to INS with the letter from the company on Jan 25th. Now I was able to get the token only after telling the information guy that I will loose my job. Went in, when my number was called. Explained them everything. They gave me an appointment on Feb 12th to come back and get the interim EAD. So stayed at home for two weeks. Picked up my interim EAD on Feb 12(Feb 12 is still 2 days short from 90 days of appling EAD). Looked like they don't have anything to give on the same day and that they have a day for every month where they give away all interim EAD's. On the day I went there were about 50 people who came to pick up interim EAD's.

uprasuna,

1) Can you tell us whether your new iEAD is dated back to back with your old EAD (expiring on Jan 25th) or was there a gap?
[Read other threads about this.]

2) On Jan 25th, did they ask you to fill the I765 form and took it before they gave you the appoinment? [Now they are asking you to fill in the I765 form - to give the appoinment - they are not asking for the fee - but kept the copies of I485/I765 receipt notices I gave for reference]

3) Did you take unpaid or paid leave during the gap?

I thank you for posting - it was the motivation for me to go today - and to my shock they gave me an appoinment 3 weeks after my EAD expires. And it is already more than 100 days from my Receipt Date. [Could please send me an email - I want to ask you some more questions]

Appoinments will be atleast 4 weeks from the day you try to get
at the Arlington Office.

Everybody: Be there on the 91st day.

Thanks Rajiv, Thanks uprasuna,

vicice, so did you get an appointment for april 4th ?.

I am in a similar situation, my EAD expires march 23rd and am planning to go there tommorrow.

Question to UPRASUNA...

Was your EAD renewed back to back?

Your EAD expired on Jan 25, 2004 and you got your IEAD on FEB12... what is the validation date of your IEAD? Is it valid from Jan 26, 2004 or Valid from FEB12, 2004?

Please reply.

Was your EAD renewed back to back?

My EAD was not renewed back to back. It expired on Jan 25th. The new one stared on Wed (Feb 11/12). So there is a gap inbetween.

2) On Jan 25th, did they ask you to fill the I765 form and took it before they gave you the appoinment? [Now they are asking you to fill in the I765 form - to give the appoinment - they are not asking for the fee - but kept the copies of I485/I765 receipt notices I gave for reference]

Yes, I did fill out a new I765 form and handed it over to them on Jan 25th. They took my I765 receipt with them. They didn't ask for any fee.

3) Did you take unpaid or paid leave during the gap?

It is an unpaid leave.

I thank you for posting - it was the motivation for me to go today - and to my shock they gave me an appoinment 3 weeks after my EAD expires. And it is already more than 100 days from my Receipt Date. [Could please send me an email - I want to ask you some more questions]

It sounded to me like they have just one day every month, where they give out all interim EADs. Because I asked them if there is anything they could do to give to me earlier. And they replied they don't have any appointments. The next appointment is in March.

I went to Arlington Office today to get interim EAD. I did not have an appointment, but got a chance to get in and speak to the officer and was able to get interim EAD.

If your EAD expires before the appointment date, just goto the office on a wednesday around 2 PM.

EAD RD 11/14

I went to Arlington VA office for my interim EAD today. Got there around 6:30 in the morning, by that time there already was a long queue outside the office. Today was my 91 st day after filing for my EAD at Vermont. Went to the second floor, room 210. Got the ticket. After getting the ticket, I had to wait till 3:30pm (yes, PM ! InterimEAD apps have very low priority) for my number to be called. The point to note is that they do not call numbers first-cum-first-serve. Instead they go by categories. So its very possible that people way behind you in the Q will be off on thier merry way long before you are!k,\
The lady at the counter intially gave me an appoinment for April 21st. As the appointment they gave was almost 4 weeks after my EAD expiration, and since it is my company policy not to keep employees on leave with out pay for long, I requested to talk to the supervisor. The immigration officer was kind enough to permit this. After explaining my problem to the supervisor he gave me a new appointment for April 7th and told me that this was the earliest date he could accomodate me. I think arlington office guys are accomodative if your situation genuine.

vivice,

This is what I did:

1) Get inside the building before 2:30, told the guard I am here for a walkin.
2) They will tell you to wait in the waiting room next door.
3) They will call all people with appointments. Be patient and wait there coz they will not let you in to the next room without the appointment letter.
4) After they take in everyone with appointments, they will call for all people without appointments.
5) Go inside and they will ask for your EAD reciept and filled out 765 form.
6) The officer there just looked at my papers and signed it and sent me to the office to take my picture !

I took a letter from my company saying that I will not be able to continue working if i dont get EAD and that I am valuable part of the team etc. They did not require the letter, but take one anywayz.

I took couple of payslips, 485, 140, 765 reciepts, old EAD, passport.

pshareesh,

Could you please tell me where is the local centre at Arlington, VA to issue iEAD. There are two centres 4420 Fairfax Dr and 8850 Richmond pkwy, Arlington, VA.

I went yesterday to 8850 Richmond pkwy, Arlington VA, but they wanted to get appointment first by calling 1-800 number. I called 1-800 number today with a long wait of one and half hour on the phone. I was informed that they are not authorized to schedule an appointment for iEAD.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Covers: Wash. D.C and VA
See SG_VA's mail.
I also heard you can get the appoinment by phone.
No idea of the phone number.

Read above about getting the appoinment by going directly.
Mondays and Fridays are crowded days.

Search threads for EAD and Arlington, EAD and Virginia, EAD and Norfolk - for general idea

========================
Thanks psharesh for the details. *****
========================

pshareesh had the picture there itself after the officer looking at his papers. That means the office has the equipment to take the picture. Is that correct?
We don't need to go to the other office at Richmond pkwy for the picture.