please share info-H4 Visa experience @ Chennai consulate

niharica

Registered Users (C)
please help -H4 Visa issue @ Chennai consulate

I'm on H1B-valid till 2006.recently got married.

my husband attended for an interview for H4 stamping at Chennai consulate and it is denied (asked to re appear for an interview).
following question was asked.
What do you do in US until 2006( As my H1B valid till 2006)? my husband mentioned that I would stay there for 6 months and come back. officer was not satisfied and said you are not coming back in 6 months. and mentioned to re appear for interview.

please help with any useful experiences/thoughts, that might be helpful for us to proceed for next interview?

Thanks a lot,

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally,I feel that the answer your husband gave was blatantly untrue,unrealistic and unconvincing.
If a wife is in the US and her husband wishes to join her in the US, then it is quite obvious that the husband is not going to return in 6 months.Neither would it be true even if it were the other way round.

The next time he goes, perhaps a better answer to the same question would be: "Since we are married, we wish to stay together".No one can ask why you want to stay together! :D

One possible counter question would be:" Why can't your wife come back to India,so" you could stay together" ". You have not told what exactly you do.
If you are in research,then he could say, that you are in the middle of some very very important research and hence you can and will return AFTER your H1 expires.If you are not in research, then you would need to think of some other reason which should be 100% logical.

This is my personal opinion only and perhaps other experienced people may be able to suggest something better.

Thank you so much GCChaahiye. here are my details - I work in IT as a Developer since 2000 in US. my H1B valid till may 2006.
any suggestions for the same question you mentioned --
:" Why can't your wife come back to India,so" you could stay together" ". ?

I could not think of any best answers to consulate from my husband for the following possible questions aswell, when he attends next time.
please share your thoughts. If he asks(consulate officer), do you work during your stay in US? what answer whould be best?
other question is my husband mentioned in 157 form that he does business in india for one of the question.do you think any possible questions he might ask and how to handle those?

Thank you so much for your help...

Last edited by a moderator:
One plain and simple rule to answer questions at the consulate is :

"Answer to the point".- to the extent possible - a Yes or No.

Do not offer information which has not been specifically asked for.The more you speak,it is more likely that the officer would catch something objectionable.They look for reasons to deny a visa.

One has to be able to distinguish between a question and a comment/remark.
If it is a question,yes or no (if possible).If it is kind of comment or remark and you dont know what to say,just keep quiet or smile.Dont talk.Simple.

:" Why can't your wife come back to India,so" you could stay together" ". ?

I am not saying that this WILL be asked, but there are good chances of being asked.One possible reply:" Her H1B is only for another 2 years and she wants to gain US experience and then return to India.So,being married,we would like to stay together during this period."

If he asks(consulate officer), do you work during your stay in US? what answer whould be best?
Possible reply - A STRICT and EMPHATIC NO.
IF the officer asks why he does not want to work,he could say," We just want to be together and return back home after her H1B expires or even earlier".

other question is my husband mentioned in 157 form that he does business in india for one of the question.do you think any possible questions he might ask and how to handle those?

He might be asked to furnish annual statements and income tax returns of his business and property statements.

Possible question:" why you want to leave your business and go to USA? Who will take care of the business when you are gone?"

Possible Reply:"My father/mother/cousin/uncle etc, will take care of it till I return.I could take a break from my business here to be with my wife and then return after her current visa expires".

I am not sure if any of these questions will be asked or if the replies that I have suggested are good enough.

He has to convince the officer, that he is going to return back.