expired visa on my passaport. I applied for
visa on 22nd of May, no response
yet. I will lose my job.
My last H1B visa was expired 9 months
a go. Can I apply for re-validation
from here directly to US department at washington Dc since the US consulate
is not giving me any respond.

i am not sure

1. I am not sure if you can revalidate visas at department of state if u are out of the country
2. You need to send a valid I-94 or a certified copy of your I-94 for revalidation. Have u surrendered your I-94 when u left usa?
3. Check this website out
http://travel.state.gov/revals.html
http://www.immihelp.com

4. It takes 6-10 weeks to get visa revalidated if you have all the required documents. Your visa cannot be expired for more than 12 months.

I would suggest you talk to your lawyer also. This is just my opinion

Thank you for responding.
? did surrendered my I-94. I mean
the white copy.
There is one attched to my original I-797A that says I-94 Departure record.
can I use that.
Thanks god I was able to convince my
employee to put me on extended
leave of absence for 2 more months.
I will check the web sites.

i am not sure

if you had a certfied copy of your I-94 that may have been enough. I guess, the I-94 card is requested because this is how the state department determines if you are in the US or not.

I did check the web site.
It is a fantastic web site I have ever
seen, immihelp.com.
Since they are doing a background check on me for > 2 months, and the officer over consulat said I should wait,I will wait for 2 more weeks to see
what happens. I am afraid If I send
out my documents including my
original paasaport and at the time
they process my visa here in Istanbul , I will be in trouble.
Do you know anyone in a similar situation
for security background chack.
if yes How long does it take
Do you think I need to be worried about
visa processing and contact a lawyer
although I have 2 more months.

You cannot apply for revalidation at St Louis from outside the US. The case is similar to that you cannot have your passport stamped from a Consulate outside US while you are still in the US. You do not have any other choice but to wait the adjudication from the Istanbul consulate. They are doing extensive background checks for people from about 29 countries. The usual "official" waiting period is 3 weeks but they are known to take any amount of time. Do not think of sending your passport outside your country in the post. That should not be done under any circumstances. You should be hearing from the consulate very soon.

Dear Debasis,

Is there any site that can help me to
find what they are checking
I think the best thing is to wait as you
said. When I talked to officer over the
consulate she said I can expedite my
case by contacting US department of
state in Washington DC, visa section,
Turkey desk.
The university did, but the state department Turkey desk said they are
not in charge of security clearnce.
Who does this security check then.
Is there any place my employer could
contact in US to expedite the case

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I know someone sitting in Canada since Sep./Oct. 2002 waiting for Security clearance.

Just checking to see how long did it take you for security clearance? any issues?

please advice

thx

Just an update

Security checks can take any length of time and there is pretty much nothing you can do except wait............sometimes a long wait!

I am a Pakistani citizen and just came back from toronto after 6 months. I had O-1 approval and went to Canada (per my lawyers advice and also the I797 says Toronto as the POE) after making an appointment with the US Consulate.

My interview date was September 9, 2002 and the visa was finally issued to me and my family on February 28, 2003.
I have heard of some people who had to wait for more than 8 months and some were issued within a few days. No one can predict. One just has to wait. The good news is that if there is no felony or henky-penky, one will be issued the visa.

Good Luck .