Please Read & help in whatever way you can.

jksongc

Registered Users (C)
Firstly, I'm very sorry for posting this issue here, But I know there are experts
in this forum that can provide better suggestion than me.

Summary:

My cousin has his F1 Visa (Student), rejected a week back.. very depressed & sad.
The Visa officer at chennai assumed him to be a potential immigrant & rejected his VISA.
My cousin is planning for a second attempt & he is very scared & tensed. Certainly things changed @ home .I just can't express it ..

I know that his chances of getting a VISA on a 2 or 3 rd attempts are very thin as he was rejected on strong reason (potential immigrant & not on financial side).

Q) Is there any thing that can override the Visa officer decision like a power of attorney or something or contacting some one here?

Q) Does you guys know of anyone, whose VISA was rejected first time for the same reason (potential immigrant) & then was issed a VISA on second attempt or third attempts? Please advice.

Q) My 485 is pending & I think of contacting a congress man/senator & request him a letter addressed to U.S embassy? Do you guys think that will be a wise thing to do or help it anyway & if required ready I'm ready to sign any agreement that they asks me to. Nothing is more for than helping my cousin in getting his VISA & his dreams come true?

His Career is at stake now & I'm sure that your sincere advices/suggestions can help him out.

PLease take some time & post your suggestions.

Thanks ALL for your help!

jksongc said:
Firstly, I'm very sorry for posting this issue here, But I know there are experts

Summary:

My cousin has his F1 Visa (Student), rejected a week back.. very depressed & sad.
The Visa officer at chennai assumed him to be a potential immigrant & rejected his VISA.
My cousin is planning for a second attempt & he is very scared & tensed. Certainly things changed @ home .I just can't express it ..

I know that his chances of getting a VISA on a 2 or 3 rd attempts are very thin as he was rejected on strong reason (potential immigrant & not on financial side).

Q) Is there any thing that can override the Visa officer decision like a power of attorney or something or contacting some one here?

Q) Does you guys know of anyone, whose VISA was rejected first time for the same reason (potential immigrant) & then was issed a VISA on second attempt or third attempts? Please advice.

Q) My 485 is pending & I think of contacting a congress man/senator & request him a letter addressed to U.S embassy? Do you guys think that will be a wise thing to do or help it anyway & if required ready I'm ready to sign any agreement that they asks me to. Nothing is more for than helping my cousin in getting his VISA & his dreams come true?

His Career is at stake now & I'm sure that your sincere advices/suggestions can help him out.

There are several things that you can show:
1. Family ties. Ties to a business help. Especially if you are able to show a connection between an existing business and his education (that he is about to receive) and how it is relevant to that family business, it helps.
2. If your brother can be sponsored by a company (saying that they are sponsoring his studies provided he comes back and works with us for X number of years) he will have a strong case.
3. If you are financially very well off, you can say that there is no motivation for you to become a potential immigrant because you have enough money for yourself.
4. Clarify the reasons for studying abroad like better study options like courses which are not available in your home country and are available in USA etc. (This should be the last part). Provide as much documentation as you can provide showing strong family ties.
5. Another thing that I think helps is that you should show the all members of your family are highly educated and you belong to middle class / upper middle class and there are enough opportunities for you in India once you complete your studies, especially in USA. In fact if your brother is majoring in Technology, you should even say that Tech Industry is moving to India. Why will I even need to work in USA. In fact you can say that if you study in USA, all tech companies will give you job in India because most companies in India are US based and they prefer people who have US Degrees.

Bottomline is just be a little creative and carry a lot of documentation. If the visa officer asks, show whatever is in your file. Take letters, property deeds, business papers etc. If asked, hand over the entire file and let them leaf through it.

My brother studies here on F1 and despite strong suggestions otherwise, I showed strongly on his application that I was the sponsor and he will not have any problem financially. My wife also works here on H1 and I did not show on his application that he has another relative except me. He was asked questions about me in the interview, my job, my educational background, my salary etc. and the officer told him that he is being given visa because of me. This was in Delhi Embassy in 2003. I even provided him with my W2, IT Return and Salary Stubs. He did not need to use them though.

As suggested by another post below, having a reco from a university in India / USA will certainly help and you can also go in the direction of showing that you are inclined towards research and have better opportunities in USA and to bring back something.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the best things to do is -

Get a recommendation letter from a professor who is working at the same university where your brother applied for I-20. I-20 from a reputed university always matter, but not necessarily...

He may not get the same officer for the second time, but never know. Your brother should be prepared to give good reasons to impress the officer that he will not be potential immigrant... Follow the suggestions posted by "Dazzling" ...

thanks,
- Flam

jksongc said:

Summary:

1. Nobody can overrule decision of a visa officer, except another visa officer.
2. Yes, my wife got her tourist visa on a second try (she was my fiancee back then). She was rejected the first time as a potential immigrant.

dazzling, flamboyant & timaeuti Thank you very much guys for your advices!

The documents in the file clearly shows that my uncle as a gendral manager for a software firm in India & my aunt working in the same company as HR person.

The only Q asked by the officer that if he would ever come back to india & my cousin replied him saying that he plan on coming back & join the same firm after completion of M.S (C.S). Sad part the officer didn't buy it & more suprisingly didn't even opened the file to see the documentation.

My cousin also received an AID from eastern illinious unversity, Now I will be requesting them to send a letter now as suggested.

What kind of info/documents support on showing strong family ties? any ideas

Any other suggestions ???.

Thank you ALL for your time!