please help

khushibose

Registered Users (C)
I am in the process of applying for GC and have filled all the forms - I-485, I-693, G-325A, I-864 and I-765.
In the I-765 form they ask if I previously applied for employment authorization and if I did I need to submit the required documentation which I understand is the photocopy of my previous EAD card. I am on F-1/student visa. I graduated in Dec 2003 with a MS degree and had applied for OPT and then in Aug 2004 I was admitted in a PhD program. Now I am unable to locate my old EAD card. I asked the international student office in my old school and my current school and they both don't have a copy of my EAD card. I really don't know what to do now.
Where do I get my old EAD card from? Also, do I really need to apply for employment authorization? My I-20 is valid till Aug 2010.
Any response would be appreciated. I am panicking and don't know what to do. Please help.

Thanks.

If you don't plan on working off-campus (excluding internships which will be covered by your I-20), you don't really need an EAD card. You may apply for it any time while your I-485 is in process.

Where do I get my old EAD card from?
you can't. It's an old card and it's unavailable. If you can remember when and where you applied for it, you fill it in in the forms. Try to find a notice of action or a copy of an application.

Also, do I really need to apply for employment authorization?
if you wish to work while your AOS is pending - yes.