Please help...

gajavada

Registered Users (C)
My mother got visitor visa at Chennai consulate for 3 months (Jan 13th to Apr 13th 2004). I am also currently in India and wanted to bring her with me as she is 73 years old.

Is these any possibility i can request immigration officer at the port of entry to give her stay for atleast 6 months ?

Anyone had 3 months visa and got I-94 for 6-months at port of entry ? what kind of request we have to put ?

thanks in advance...

Gajavada,

At the port of entry, the immigration officer asks you what is the purpose of your trip and how long you want to stay? If you say 6 months, usually they just give you a 6-month I-94. This doesn't depend on duration of visa. (You can enter the US anytime during the time-period noted on the visa.)

Prep. your mother so she can mention all the places she wants to see and how she can't make frequent trips due to her old age.

Make a photocopy of the I-94 for future use.

morejunk
----------

It happened to my case. In Chennai consulate they issued 1 month visa

And in port of entry they issued 6 months visa to my mother. Only down part, if you apply visa again to consulate in india they will question you. Why you have stayed over there for 6 months instead of 3 months. If you have plan to apply again visitor visa for next time. Please think about that also.

calrify please

You guys say your folks got one month or 3 month visa at the consulate in India (but got 6 month visa stamped at the POE - which ofcourse doesn't concern my question). So, one month and the 3 month means the stay period in US right? not the visa validity period right?

If I'm right, then could you please tell me what visa expiry period your folks got...meaning how much time they were given to make their travel before their visas expired.

The reason I ask this question is - I heard from somebody that sometimes folks are being given only 1 month (visa expiry period) which is very short. I want to bring my parents in May and wanted to set up an interview date for them In 1st week of March but after I heard this I'm worried that I may have to wait until April to have them go for an interview.