Please help with my RFE --Thanks

NIWboy

Registered Users (C)
Just recieved a RFE requesting to present independent reference letters.

Could anyone please let me know what should be included in the body of the letter...what points should be helpful.

Also how bad is this RFE?

And how many of these letters should I send?

Thank U

NIWboy said:

Could anyone please let me know what should be included in the body of the letter...what points should be helpful.

Thank U

Sorry to hear about RFE. If this is the only thing they have ask...its not bad RFE

How many letters did you submitted? more importantly how many were independent letters!! some officer evaluate the application based on how much influencial your work is based on opinions of independent experts!
independent people can be of two types
1. Who know your work and not you but never collaborated with you
2. Who don't know you at all but have expertise to write on your work and your expertise.
Those people who cite your work can be the another type who can write these letters.
body essentially remains the same which you wrote while subimiiting NIW application Nations interest/intrinsic merit and your exception skills to achieve that.
SInce RFE timings are limited start working on your application and send as many email request as possible to people who will fit in above criteria of independent !!!!!!! ask your employer to suggest few such names.....

looks like Officer has send an RFE to send evidence listed in the basic prerequisite again ..... just carefully argue that the same information that has already been presented. If any new evidence exists, it is useful to send it in as well....but that should be only be part of your argument not as independent additional documents. ....from elsewhere site!! about independent experts....""It is important to establish that the letters of recommendation are from individuals who can verify how they are familiar with the petitioner or the petitioner’s work. Perhaps they attended a presentation that the petitioner gave on his or her area of expertise, or perhaps they have been following his or her published work. The most of the referees should be from independent experts, not from co-workers. .. It is important that these experts explain their familiarity with the petitioner and explain their grounds for recommendation on the basis of the petitioner’s proven ability to acheive NI of NIW.

Thanks a lot eb1doc

I submitted 8 recommendation letters and abt 2 independent. Your opinions are very helpful but I have few more questions for u...

How many letters would be an ideal number?

Besides a cover letter and my independent reference letters...if I sumbit any more paperwork will it be unnecessary or will it help...becoz my rfe seems to be very specific...it has just asked for independent letters.

Thanks again...you are very prompt and Knowledgeable

I submitted 8 recommendation letters and abt 2 independent. Your opinions are very helpful but I have few more questions for u...

Two independent means RFE is logical!!!

How many letters would be an ideal number?

No body knows what number is ideal.....more the better .....but more should not be repetative....it should have its own hold.....I had aquired ard 30 letters submitted only 20...80% were independent................but thats extreme.......i guess ...now a days .......on an avarage people try to reach ard 10.....but its material which is important.........

Besides a cover letter and my independent reference letters...if I sumbit any more paperwork will it be unnecessary or will it help...becoz my rfe seems to be very specific...it has just asked for independent letters.

unless you try to attached that material in information provided in cover letter... its of no use..........try to be specific for specific RFE as other might give rise to other questions!!

Very helpful

Thanks ebidoc

I have started contacting few people...based on by citations and publication references...

Sorry...but have a quick question

Since the time line is short..following up on correspondences might take time...so if most of my letters come from the neighbouring universities or from within the same state...Will it be a problem.

Regards

proximity

NIWboy said:
Since the time line is short..following up on correspondences might take time...so if most of my letters come from the neighbouring universities or from within the same state...Will it be a problem.

I suppose this will be a problem b/c you're supposed to be known well beyond your local area.

As our university lawyer said about letters, "the farther from Maryland, the better".

/dzxing

Looks like we both working in same University?
Michael :rolleyes:

dzxing said:
I suppose this will be a problem b/c you're supposed to be known well beyond your local area.

As our university lawyer said about letters, "the farther from Maryland, the better".

/dzxing

NIWboy said:
Thanks ebidoc

I have started contacting few people...based on by citations and publication references...

Regards

Well collecting letters from wide geographical group somehow generates more impact wave than localaized...try getting letters from elsewhere too...........but in case you are finding it difficult good letters from these guys with complete independence will be good.....try sending template also along with your request letters and explain them urgency of your requirements!!!!!

how much time is given to reply to rfe?...i am going to file my application in the next 2 weeks.......and i was thinking of getting in touch with people with request for reco...so that if i get rfe i will have some people to approach.

techy2468 said:
how much time is given to reply to rfe?...i am going to file my application in the next 2 weeks.......and i was thinking of getting in touch with people with request for reco...so that if i get rfe i will have some people to approach.
usually 12 weeks!

few suggestions for reference letters

NIWboy said:

Thank U
It seems from my attorney that the RFE is very common in NIW cases, as most people submit letters from people of close association. Generally the adjudicators looks for the letters received from different places, other than the applicants. And especially if your application is at VSC they prefer letters from Govt agencies (say like EPA, FDA, CDC ) not a must.
Remember to get lettters from preferably 2-3 form USA and at least 2 letters from outside USA. That will significantly strengthen your application. And preferably submit their CV along with the letters.

I got letters most people I met during symposiums and some who offered a PDF position etc. I submitted 8 letters only two from people I know including my present boss and four from outsidde US. I got my I 140 approved in 3 months , no RFE.
so I strongly feel that the letters from outside also helped me a lot.
Most of my letters started with, I know ----person, when we met at the ----conference or meeting etc and have not worked or have any contact.I am aware of his work---- and so on.
If any body has plan to apply for a NIW, while attending the conferences try to get in touch with scientists. A casual talk initially and that can strengthen by next meeting, so NIW is a long term process.
Good luck NIW boy

Thanks everyone for ur support

Yes, I am trying to reach out as far as i can go...beyond Maryland. With my original submission out of 8 my 4 letters were from outside USA..from UK,Sweden..India..I have been given time till April end to ans my rfe..

Thanks all

NIWboy said:
Thanks ebidoc

Don't give youself such an excuse. Given today's ways of communication, you shouldn't have any problem in getting independent letters from anywhere around the globe within the 12 weeks given to your RFE.

I submitted only 6 letters for my NIW (my stupid lawyer's idea) with 3 of them from independent experts. Obviously, these were not enough and I got a RFE asking for pretty much the same information as yours. This time I turned in 8 more letters (5 independent) and my 140 was approved within 2 or 3 days after NSC received the RFE response. All in all, I submitted 14 letters, 8 of them from independent experts, 2 from foreign countries (Japan and Britain), 3 from my university (I did my Ph.D. and postdoc at the same school)... So, try your best to find independents (your percentage is waaay too low). You should have enough time to do it if you put your heart into it.

Good luck!

Getting there!!!

I am working on getting some independent letters...I guess quality matters than quantity..so more focused on that.

I did not post previously..but there is another half to my rfe that requires me to prove that my work is widely spread. I have a bunch of new citations, conference presentations to add to this part...Will that be sufficient.??

Thanks