Please help ! Who has got H1B stamping in Australia?

anxicious waiter

Registered Users (C)
Dear All:

I plan to visit Australia and have to get the H1B stamping there. I came to the US on J1 and was transferred to H1B but I have never left US since the J1 status. I have heard so much that it is very risky to leave US now and the return visa could be very difficult to get. I am originally from China and is a permanent resident in Australia. My previous J1 visa was issued in Australia. My questions are:

1. Do you think it's too much risk to leave US now?

2. Has anyone got H1B stamping in Australia? If so, do they require appoitment or I can just walk in and drop the application? How long does it take now to get the H1B stamping.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. I am so confused and am painfully debating if I should visit overseas and try to come back.

Thanks!!!

Anxicious Waiter

H1-B in Australia

I am an Australian Citizen. I got the H1-B stamped in Sydney during May of 2000. I am not sure about the current situation post 9/11. It shouldn't be a problem but one never knows what goes through the Immigration officer at the moment.

There should not be any problem. I just got another H1B stamped two months ago while I was there on vacation for a week. You don't need any appointment and it took me only an hour.
Try to be there early morning for a quick finish. You need to get some passport size photo and the paper work from your current employer.

Originally posted by hashratu
There should not be any problem. I just got another H1B stamped two months ago while I was there on vacation for a week. You don't need any appointment and it took me only an hour.
Try to be there early morning for a quick finish. You need to get some passport size photo and the paper work from your current employer.

Hi hashratu:

Thanks for sharing with me your experience. What questions did they ask you? Did you need an interview there? Now process in Australia has changed since last August. They now require mail-in application first and then an interview. They don't allow walk-in application any more.

anxicious waiter,

From where did you get the information that they need online application adn then interview? I am also a austrlian PR holder and want to revalidate my H1B in July in Sydney.

Also when are you planning for your revalidation in sydney.

Thanks in advance

US Consulate has established this new process since last August. They request mail-in application first (after you arrive in Australia) and then they will set up an interivew. The mail-in applicaton will take at least 2 weeks. I tried to set up an interview date with them now but they refused. I am going to Melbourne end of March.

Originally posted by vahope4gc
anxicious waiter,

From where did you get the information that they need online application adn then interview? I am also a austrlian PR holder and want to revalidate my H1B in July in Sydney.

Also when are you planning for your revalidation in sydney.

Thanks in advance

I got this info from US consulate website in Australia. I'm going there for my 1st H1B stamp so it's not revalidation. If you have already had 1 on your passport, it should be different (no interview should be required).

thanks for your quick reply.
Could you please send me the link for that website? Also can I call them and find about what will be required in my case?

Thanks

Originally posted by vahope4gc
Thanks, Yes I am in Virginia. What about you?

I'm in Virginia too. Maybe we can exchange some info about each other's experience. I'm still waiting for my labor certification and my Australia PR will be reaching the 5th year in 2005 so I'm worrying about that too. You can email me at cherrydc99@yahoo.com so we can exchange some info that is not relevant to what most people track in this forum.

H1B in australia

Hi Guys !

Did anybody went recently to Australia fo stamping and whats the process there ?/

Thanks
sunny

sunnyr

One of my friend got his H1 stamped from Australia. He is a Australian citizen who is waiting for his GC process in US. He didn't get the advance parole in-time so had to get the H1 stamped.

There was an interview regarding his type of job. It seems officer asked him in detail what he does at work. Of course he had all pay stubs and the employment letter from the employer.

There shouldn't be a problem of at all. If you are in Melbourne, the Consulate is on St. Kilda Road. I'd advise you to get there first thing in the morning with all necessary documents passport, photos, I-94, employment details etc. You need to get a money order for the machine-readable visa and you can get the money order at any post office. Ring the consulate beforehand and find out how much it is for the machine-readable visa before you drop off your application, this would save you a lot of time because you need to have that money order with you at time you drop off the application, otherwise they'll tell you to go and get it done.

You should get the visa validated in one day but sometimes because of their office hours and number of applications you may not get it that day so be prepared to come back the next day to pick the passport up. I would recommend you revalidate the visa once you arrive in OZ and not leave it to the last minute before departure.

Originally posted by zephyr74
There shouldn't be a problem of at all. If you are in Melbourne, the Consulate is on St. Kilda Road. I'd advise you to get there first thing in the morning with all necessary documents passport, photos, I-94, employment details etc. You need to get a money order for the machine-readable visa and you can get the money order at any post office. Ring the consulate beforehand and find out how much it is for the machine-readable visa before you drop off your application, this would save you a lot of time because you need to have that money order with you at time you drop off the application, otherwise they'll tell you to go and get it done.

You should get the visa validated in one day but sometimes because of their office hours and number of applications you may not get it that day so be prepared to come back the next day to pick the passport up. I would recommend you revalidate the visa once you arrive in OZ and not leave it to the last minute before departure.

If it's for first time H1-B stamp, you can't walk in and drop off the application. Since August 2003, the policy has changed - you have to mail in your application first and then schedule an interview with them, which means the whole process takes much longer (several weeks).

Anxious Waiter,

Its not first time h1b stamp . I am in U.S already on H1B stamped first from singapore. I am a PR holder of australia and need to go by june and in the mean time my previos h1b stamp is expiring as well.
In that case , usualy how long i need to wait for this process in australia?

Thanks

Adnan

Sunnyr:

If your last H1-B stamp was within a year, you don't need an interview. You can just drop off your application. But I don't know exactly how long it takes to get the stamp. I guess around 2 weeks. If your last H1-B stamp was over a year ago, you still need an interview and that takes at least 3 weeks.