Please help!! REF Certification of Good Conduct

perl177

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I just received a REF needing "Certification of Good Conduct" for my mom during the previous 5 years. :eek:

The letter says "Certification of Good Conduct: The applicant's fingerprints have twice been rejected as 'illegible'. Additional evidence is required to continue processing the adjustment of status application" Please provide a letter issued by the local law enforcement agency (County Sheriff's Office or Local Police Department) indicating the application has "no criminal record". The record search should include all the aliases (all the other names) the applicant may have used in the past. A separate letter is required for each law enforcement district in which the applicant has resided during the previous five years.

She came to U.S on visitor's visa this time, and She also visited me in U.S. on visitors' visa -B2 about 2 years ago. My questions are:

Where should I get the "Certification of Good Conduct" for the previous five years?

Do I need "Certification of Good Conduct" from China's local police, and the police department of each city' they stayed with us on B2 visitor's (we moved twice)? I am not sure if she could even get one in China since she is in U.S. now.

Thank you so much for your reply in advance! I need to reply this REF in 30 days, I am really afraid that I couldn't get it done on time, especially they need the record from China. So your kind reply will be greatly appreciated!!

Hi,

I just received a REF needing "Certification of Good Conduct" for my mom during the previous 5 years. :eek:

The letter says "Certification of Good Conduct: The applicant's fingerprints have twice been rejected as 'illegible'. Additional evidence is required to continue processing the adjustment of status application" Please provide a letter issued by the local law enforcement agency (County Sheriff's Office or Local Police Department) indicating the application has "no criminal record". The record search should include all the aliases (all the other names) the applicant may have used in the past. A separate letter is required for each law enforcement district in which the applicant has resided during the previous five years.

She came to U.S on visitor's visa this time, and She also visited me in U.S. on visitors' visa -B2 about 2 years ago. My questions are:

Where should I get the "Certification of Good Conduct" for the previous five years?

Do I need "Certification of Good Conduct" from China's local police, and the police department of each city' they stayed with us on B2 visitor's (we moved twice)? I am not sure if she could even get one in China since she is in U.S. now.

Thank you so much for your reply in advance! I need to reply this REF in 30 days, I am really afraid that I couldn't get it done on time, especially they need the record from China. So your kind reply will be greatly appreciated!!

Hello, in what state do you live?? I'm in the same situation, I had the intervew for my wife's green card over a month ago, we were asked a police record as well but no mention of the fingerprint issue, theay said we should get an RFE in a few weeks.....still wating.
in what states have you lived during the last 5 years??? just get them and you should be ok. PM if you want.

Fidel

Now..this is one of the reason not to abuse the B1/B2 visa. If they do make you to request police record from China, there's no way you can get that within 30 days which will make your case denied for not enough evidence and a deportation against your mom.

If i were you, I will start getting police record from county sheriff and local police for each city your mom have lived in the US. In the mean time, go schedule an infopass immediately and ask if they need police record from China. or call them up. May be the Chinese embassy in the US can help getting such record?

Well, I don't understand why this is abusing B2 visa. If the applicant is in U.S., he/she is eligible to file for adjustment of status. If weren't for the failed fingerprints, we won't need the "Certification of Good Conduct" letter. I don't want to point the finger at the fingerprint staff or the machine, but it's certainly not our faults. As for the "Certification of Good Conduct", it was not required at initial application, so we didn't prepare it at all. If we knew it earlier, we could probably figure out a a way to have them on time...

I will call the 1800 number on Monday to see what they say first though (The infopass person I met before in our area is totally useless. I had a very unpleasant experience there due to the terrible customer service provided several month agao. It was totally a waste time!).

In addition, I also saw a similar post on link //forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=261448 posted a year ago. But I am not sure what happen to gcINla’ case... I hope she get her GC approved in the end without much trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
2nd FP Rejected.

Perl177,

Any progress? My dad is facing a similar situation. I got an RFE today asking for a certificate of good conduct. I looked up the DOJ site and probably know what to do next.

Did you case make any progress? What actions did you take?

Vinayak

Hi vinayakk,
I am sorry to hear about that.
I sent the police clearance letters to the CSC. Haven't hear anything from them about the decision.... I'll update you when I hear more.

Perl177,

Any progress? My dad is facing a similar situation. I got an RFE today asking for a certificate of good conduct. I looked up the DOJ site and probably know what to do next.

Did you case make any progress? What actions did you take?

Vinayak

a) Has DOJ put up any formats/process for such certificates?
b) Has DOJ mentioned the need to get such Certificates from Country of Residence ( e.g. India, China, Russia, Phillipines etc.)

Vinayak: I found the web ite under DOJ where they have given info on obtaining such a certificate for yourself.
If you find such info, you are requested to publish it on the forum for the benefit of others.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm
I believe you would need the certificate from your State DOJ. Here is the link for one in CA. http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/.

You have to get fingerprinting (LiveScans) done through authorized centers and they electronically transmit the data to DOJ.

Vinayak

RFE: Certificate of Good Conduct

Hello Perl177,

My Dad is in the same situation like your Mom. He just got RFE asking for Certificate of Good Conduct. I was wondering if you also submitted the certificate from china? Is that the "Notarial Certificate of No Criminal Record"?

Did you have to go through the FBI process to get fingerprint done and then get certificate? Or did you just go to your local police office to request a certificate? How long did it take?

We have 1 months as well to provide such things. I'm just concerned that it's not enough time to get one from China.

Good luck to you! And to me as well. :)

Hello Perl177,

My Dad is in the same situation like your Mom. He just got RFE asking for Certificate of Good Conduct. I was wondering if you also submitted the certificate from china? Is that the "Notarial Certificate of No Criminal Record"?

Did you have to go through the FBI process to get fingerprint done and then get certificate? Or did you just go to your local police office to request a certificate? How long did it take?

We have 1 months as well to provide such things. I'm just concerned that it's not enough time to get one from China.

Good luck to you! And to me as well. :)
You dont need to get a certificate from your parents country. It has to be a certificate from the local law enforcement in the US city where the parent may have lived over the last 5 years.

I live in San Jose, CA and found out that SJPD does indeed issue such a certificate. Go to your police dept's website and serach either for Documents Section or Records Office. That should be a starting point. If that does not work then you can go route of approaching State DOJ. They also offer a background check service. It involves livescan (fingerprinting) again.

Hope this helps.
Vinayak

Hi Vinayak,

Thanks for your response. It's very helpful! Have you got such certificate from San Jose? I searched online and found some forms. I wonder how the final certificate will look like. I hope it's what CSC is asking because their RFE letter is very scary: failure to submit ALL evidence requested at one time may result in the denial of your application.

Thanks again!

I applied today and got a call back from SJPD that the letter is ready. I can pick it on Monday when the counter is open for public. I havent seen it yet. But on their website it says Police Clearance Certificate for Visa and Immigration purpose. It cant really be much different than what USCIS expects.

Vinayak

Hi everyone,

My mother's green card is approved today. I checked my email, and it says, "Current Status: Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident"!

Finally. I feel like forever....

Good luck to all of you, and I hope you will get yours soon. Don't worry, you should have it soon because this should be the only thing holding up the case.

Hi everyone,

My mother's green card is approved today. I checked my email, and it says, "Current Status: Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident"!

Good luck to all of you, and I hope you will get yours soon. Don't worry, you should have it soon because this should be the only thing holding up the case.
Congratulations perl177. One question. When did you send in the RFE response? I an trying to gauge the time span between the RFE response and GC approval.

Hi everyone,

Hello Perl177,

Congratulations!!! Did you submit the clearance letter from local police department only or did you also submit the No Criminal Record from China?

Thanks a lot!

Perl177: as per Vinayakk's information, did you submit the certificate only from local USA police department or also from your motherland?
This is important conformation.

Also, what address did you send it to and by USPS or private courier?
They have different addresses for USPS and private courier.

Following message in blue appeared in the e-mail and on USCIS web site for my parent:
Since we have submitted ALL the known information with 485, at this time ( before receiving the letter in the mail) we suspect, it is imfamous Certificate Of Good Conduct due to failure to read Finger Prints correctly in the 2nd attempt.

As per Vinayakk and Perl177, in this thread itself, I will initiate process to obtain such certificate from our local police department.

The Question: Is local Police Department Certificate good enough or we need to get and submit certificate from Mumbai also?
Can local Indian Consulate in San Francisco help and if yes, how long do they take?

This is the time to keep the head cool and not let emotions dictate you.

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Request for Additional Evidence Sent

On May 5, 2009, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, call 1-800-375-5283 to update your address.