Please help me help my friend!!!

dec19_2005

Hi ,
One of my friend is married and settled in US on a dependent visa (H-4),she is actually expecting her first baby in a couple of months time.
She has been married for about 3 yrs now and due to some family issues rom her in-laws,she is threatened to be divorced and make her return back to her home country.However her husband is good at times that he says to her he loves her and cant think of life without her ....but when he comes into play with his parents,he totally forgets her and plans on divorce.
My friends concerns is ,she actually does not want to return back to her country nro she wants her husband and in-laws to think she is helpless or under their mercy!!!but she knows that if her baby is born here in US, it would become a US citizen and with that though her husband divorces her ,can she still be in US under the pretence of caring for her child who will be a US citizen and also get separation from her husband!

Is it possible for her to get divorce and still stay in US?
Can anyone advise?

dec19_2005 said:
can she still be in US under the pretence of caring for her child who will be a US citizen and also get separation from her husband!

No. She can return to her home country with the baby (assuming she has custody) and then the child can petition for her upon reaching the age of 21.

Is it possible for her to get divorce and still stay in US?

Not unless she obtains some other basis for living here outside of her husband.