please help j1-h1b

Helz1987

Hello.
I am need of some help, could someone please help me tranfer my visa?

Here's my story/info....

I am from England but when I was 18 (I am now 21) I moved to LA on a F1 visa. I was studying at school for 18 months but then dropped out because the school was bad - it has now been closed. The correct procedures were taken to cancel my visa, however, my f1 visa was not due to expire until 2010.
I was home in England for around a year, but now I am back in the States in Florida Keys on an Internship for a year.
Right now I have a J1 visa that will expire in March 2009, I love it here and do not want to leave. I was hoping someone could explain to me the process of transferring my visa to a H1B visa - my boss explained to me that this is what I need to stay, and is willing to help me.
I am looking for some general info on the process, but I was also hoping to find out when I should start apply? How much will it cost? Would I have to move home while this is happening etc?

Thanks in advance!

Helen

It costs about $5000 including attorney fees and you can apply next April (2009) for a start date of October 2009. Also, you must work in a specialty profession. Unfortunately, even if you do all this there is only a 40% or so change that you get selected each year since more people apply for H1B that there are available visas.