• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

please help!! is this a scam

ALFREDO

Registered Users (C)
Ok I got a very good friend that he said that He applied in 2007 (october 070 and got notified by a "lawyer" that he won it in March 08 (first question is this possible that he got notified that quick?)

My friend is living in the US under a H-1b and the lawyer made him to travel to his home country to take medical exams in July (second question: does it make sense to have medical done)

Now the lawyer says that He si going to receive a letter to set up an interview before the end of September and with that letter He can work and travel anytime (third question: is this possible)

I am thinking that this is a scam but I am not sure, can you share your opinion please !!
thanks

It is hard to tell. I want to say it is a scam because I never heard a notification letter sent to a 3rd party (this lawyer) instead of directly to the person.

If I were you, I would ask your friend what is his/her DV Case Number based on the notification letter that KCC sent to this lawyer or ask for the Notification letter itself. From there, I recommend your friend to call KCC and confirm it. KCC can tell him if its a scam or not by giving KCC the DV Case number, name, and date of birth.

If the lawyer can't show him the Notification letter from KCC or give him the Case number, I have no doubt that it is a scam.

By the way: There MUST be a notification letter from KCC. The KCC will not send notification letter through any other communication (fax, e-mail, telephone) other than regular mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, he asked and lawyer said that he does not have it but He kepp telling him that he will get something in the mail in the next few days. please any other info appreciated

Thanks, he asked and lawyer said that he does not have it but He kepp telling him that he will get something in the mail in the next few days. please any other info appreciated

From what I know, it is impossible to know if someone won the DV or not before the Notification letter is sent by the KCC.

Tell your friend not to do anything for now until He received the letter and confirmed the Case Number with the KCC.

Oh, to answer your question about medical exam. It doesn't make sense to do medical exam unless he know when his CN become current. Medical exam result is only good for 1 year. If his number become current in August 2009 but He did Medical in July 2008, his medical exam result will be obselete. Furthemore, since He's already living in the U.S, He should be given the choice to do AoS and do medical in the U.S instead of going back to his home country to do medical.

Honestly, I highly suspect that this is a scam. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I got a very good friend that he said that He applied in 2007 (october 070 and got notified by a "lawyer" that he won it in March 08 (first question is this possible that he got notified that quick?)
Yes, it's possible. For DV 2009, KCC started sending out notification letters to those who were selected in March 2008. Applicants in the US are usually the first to recieve them.

My friend is living in the US under a H-1b and the lawyer made him to travel to his home country to take medical exams in July (second question: does it make sense to have medical done)
Yes, this is possible. Based on certain factors some people prefer to process their green card applications at a consulate outside the U.S. If this is the case with your friend, then he would certainly have to go home for the medical exam. And, Yes - all DV winners have to have the medical screening.

Now the lawyer says that He si going to receive a letter to set up an interview before the end of September and with that letter He can work and travel anytime (third question: is this possible)
Yes and No
If your friend followed the proper procedure and is eligible for a green card then:
1) Yes, he will receive a letter to set up an interview before September 2009
2) No, the interview letter does not allow him to travel or work anywhere. It just invites him to an interview at the consulte abroad. If your friend had chosen to process his green card in the U.S. then he would have had the opportunity to get other documents that would allow him to work and travel.

Sometimes immigration lawyers will act this way just to make more money off you. Important!! Your friend needs to get that notification letter from his lawyer ASAP. He will at minimum need to know his case number.

With the information you have provided it is still difficult to judge whether this a scam or not. The views I have shared with you are public knowledge, you dont have to be a lawyer to know this things. YOUR FRIEND SHOULD KNOW ALL OF THIS BY NOW!

it's a scam.
By now your friend would have filled out DS-230 and DSP-122 forms, and he would have to write down his case number on both of them. Now, did he?

It is a scam.... no doubt about it. Your friend should know better, he/she is on H1B

I had to present my 2nd NL letter to the doctor, in order to have the medical done. Plus, there are special doctors assigned by the US embassy to perform these medicals. I really think that this is a scam. And there were forms that I had to sign to receive my 2nd NL.

He said that He put the address of the lawyer. But the weird thing is that He can still contact him at his office for all these months, but He has not able to give any case number and keep telling him htat He should get a letter for a appointment by tomorrow. It is just so weird that He is not giving the case number.

i got a question, when you receive the letter for the interview, that letter does not give you any authorization to work or travel right? from that interview how long it takes to get some type of work authorization and travel permit. my friend is in h-1b and it will expire in november 2008. do you think he will get working authorization assuming that He get an interview in october?

It would be easier to have your friend join the forum himself/herself. Why don't you point them to this forum and they can come onboard and ask the questions themselves?

i got a question, when you receive the letter for the interview, that letter does not give you any authorization to work or travel right? from that interview how long it takes to get some type of work authorization and travel permit. my friend is in h-1b and it will expire in november 2008. do you think he will get working authorization assuming that He get an interview in october?

I doubt that your friend is getting anything, since it looks like a scam anyway.

Everything else depends on how high his number is. Since he can't find out what his number is, he can't really know for sure he is getting anything.
It's a scam!

What are you talking about!?
More than 6 years here and you don't know the case number format!?
Give us a break!
Who is the real person - you, your friend, your friend's lawyer or your friend's lawyer's someone?