Please help! Is there any bad consequence if I reschedule my biometrics appointment?

OMFSmolar

Registered Users (C)
I just received a notice for the biometrics appointment on 11/18. However, I have to fly out of town on 11/17 for a friend's wedding. I'm wondering if there is any bad consequence if I reschedule my appointment. How much longer will my application be delayed if I reschedule? Please help me:confused::confused::confused:!!

Thanks in advance!!

I just received a notice for the biometrics appointment on 11/18. However, I have to fly out of town on 11/17 for a friend's wedding. I'm wondering if there is any bad consequence if I reschedule my appointment. How much longer will my application be delayed if I reschedule? Please help me:confused::confused::confused:!!

Thanks in advance!!

Try going ahead of time and if they refuse, just follow the instructions on the notice for missed appointments.

Try going ahead of time and if they refuse, just follow the instructions on the notice for missed appointments.

Thank you, Joe.

The instruction says I need to mail the original notice back to reschedule.
How can I go ahead of time? Do I request it in the letter?

I called USCIS and the representative said he couldn't tell the next available appointment for me. Is there another number I can call?

Thank you!

Yep! Like BigJoe5 said just try walking in. I filed my forms in October and my biometrics was scheduled for the 7th Nov, and I walked in on the 25th October. They let me do them early. A few others in my group (October 2011 Filers) did walk-ins for their biometrics as well (before the scheduled date) and they were also successful so you should at least try.

Do go on a day that might not be so busy for them i.e middle of week and anytime after lunch (say 2pm). And if you have to, beg them! Ok, maybe not beg but ask really really nicely if they'll allow you and explain the reason why you want to do it earlier. I'm sure they'd oblige you.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try doing a walk-in. Most service centres let you do a walk-in. Go in the afternoon when it is less crowded.

Thank you, Joe.

The instruction says I need to mail the original notice back to reschedule.
How can I go ahead of time? Do I request it in the letter?

I called USCIS and the representative said he couldn't tell the next available appointment for me. Is there another number I can call?

Thank you!

Isn't there a number on your Appointment letter that you can call for rescheduling?

Did you apply in a family category that is subject to possible retrogression (basically anything except the spouse, parent, or under-21 child of USC)? If yes, it could be VERY BAD to reschedule. The delay from rescheduling could cause you to get caught in retrogression, preventing your green card from being approved for several months to a few years.

If you can't make the 11/18 date, try a walk-in at an earlier date, as others have mentioned. When you walk in, don't mention the date difference, just show them the notice and act as if nothing is wrong. If they bring up the date difference, then you can explain that you have to be away on the 18th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walk in sounds great!!! I don't even know if you can do it!!
Thanks so much, folks!! I'll definitely try it next Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon as you suggested!

Thanks a million.

Isn't there a number on your Appointment letter that you can call for rescheduling?

Dear MarineWife,

I actually realized our biometrics appt is at the same location - Alexandaria, VA. What time during the day did you walk in? Did you explain your reasons of walk in up front or did you wait for them to ask you...? I'm trying to picture what's gonna happen.

Yes I called the reschedule number but the reprensentative couldn't help me to schedule an earlier appointment.

Thank you very much. I plan to walk in next Tuesday around noon.

Have a good night.

@OMFSmolar

Alexandria? You'll be fine! They don't even look at the latter to check the date. They just stamp it and give you a form to fill out. They are super friendly there. All will be well. No worries.

Dear MarineWife,

I actually realized our biometrics appt is at the same location - Alexandaria, VA. What time during the day did you walk in? Did you explain your reasons of walk in up front or did you wait for them to ask you...? I'm trying to picture what's gonna happen.

Yes I called the reschedule number but the reprensentative couldn't help me to schedule an earlier appointment.

Thank you very much. I plan to walk in next Tuesday around noon.

Have a good night.

I'd go a bit later (after lunch). I would not plan on showing up and ask for an accommodation when 1/2 the staff is at lunch. I would catch everybody on a full stomach when they are sleepy and happy rather than when they are hungry and grouchy. It's just a thought.

I'd go a bit later (after lunch). I would not plan on showing up and ask for an accommodation when 1/2 the staff is at lunch. I would catch everybody on a full stomach when they are sleepy and happy rather than when they are hungry and grouchy. It's just a thought.

My initial plan was to go around 2 but that very morning I googled "USCIS Biometrics at Alexandria" and the results came back with several threads. ALL of which said they tried walking in early at Alexandria, various times of day and days of week and were ALL received. When I read that I got dressed immediately. I got to the center around 12 30 pm and like everyone before me had said, the security did not even look at the date. There was about 3 other ppl there. I was in and out in 20 mins. And the staff is super helpful.

I can't say much about other ASCs but I'll bet any money that he will have an easy time at that office.

My initial plan was to go around 2 but that very morning I googled "USCIS Biometrics at Alexandria" and the results came back with several threads. ALL of which said they tried walking in early at Alexandria, various times of day and days of week and were ALL received. When I read that I got dressed immediately. I got to the center around 12 30 pm and like everyone before me had said, the security did not even look at the date. There was about 3 other ppl there. I was in and out in 20 mins. And the staff is super helpful.

I can't say much about other ASCs but I'll bet any money that he will have an easy time at that office.

It is nice to hear about a customer-service success story. I wonder if you or anyone else ever expressed appreciation for those folks for getting things right in terms of good customer service? Any letters to CIS Ombudsman or the USCIS District Office or USCIS HQ with a compliment?