please help, I lost job and wife's USCIS interview is in 3 days.

Timmy-
First of all relax! Losing your job is NOT grounds for denial.

You got your employment letter and have your last paystub, bring those to the interview. USCIS will look at your entire past years income so if you can establish a good employment history (ability to provide for intending immigrant) then that may be enough.

As a back up plan I would look into securing a co sponsor have a Co-sponsor complete an 864 (Affidavit of Support)

Your honesty is admirable and is the best policy.

With USCIS interviews do NOT VOLUNTEER any information unless it is asked directly, this being said be prepared to answer any questions honestly.

If you have them bring your tax returns from the past 3 years this will establish your employment history & ability to provide for your spouse.

Worst case you will get an RFE at the interview & your approval will be pending until you come up with a co sponsor.

Good Luck

There is a God. ADDIE WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN :eek: i HAVE BEEN TRYING TO HOLD DOWN THE FORT HERE BUT IT HAS BEEN ROUGH :eek:

You see, I told you Timmy. Hope you are ok now. ;)

Request For Evidence. It is a letter from Immigration requesting other information from the petitioner/applicant. If you didn't get one that means that you sent everything required when you first applied. However, what Addie is saying is that at the interview if it comes up about your unemployment statis, they might request that within a certain time period that you submit information like your new job or other proof about finances. Read the info I sent on CandyAttitude because she got one for that reason.

Addie_Goodvibes said:
Timmy-
First of all relax! Losing your job is NOT grounds for denial.

You got your employment letter and have your last paystub, bring those to the interview. USCIS will look at your entire past years income so if you can establish a good employment history (ability to provide for intending immigrant) then that may be enough.

As a back up plan I would look into securing a co sponsor have a Co-sponsor complete an 864 (Affidavit of Support)

Your honesty is admirable and is the best policy.

With USCIS interviews do NOT VOLUNTEER any information unless it is asked directly, this being said be prepared to answer any questions honestly.

If you have them bring your tax returns from the past 3 years this will establish your employment history & ability to provide for your spouse.

Worst case you will get an RFE at the interview & your approval will be pending until you come up with a co sponsor.

Good Luck

Addie,

Did your wife receive the approval then?

OK, for any of you that may run into a similar situation - you MUST get a co-sponsor to fill out an I-864 and give tax returns and job income information, along with copies of identification proving they are citizens or in a legal immigration status.

We were basically on the verge of being denied and given until Friday morning to produce this other stuff.

Is there ANYTHING else I ought to get from my cosponsor so that I don't forget anything?

My paralegal says it's probably too late for job letters from cosponsors - so pay stubs would work, although the interview officer did not mention either - only 2005 taxes and copies of ID - hopefully passports, drivers license and Social Security card will do.

Any other FACTUAL information would be tremendously appreciated.

Sorry to hear that. Did you tell them or they asked about ur job? Hope you find someone soon.

i have a question. my brother in law is going to be our joint sponsor. however in form i-864 it asks to list all spouse and children immigrating with the immigrant. what should he write there. my wife is my primary sponsor and i have a son, both USC. are they to be listed as immigrating with me? i'm confused because it then says to total everything and thats how the come up with household size. what do i do?

On the sponsors I-864 he list himself and anyone in his household plus you. On your wife's she list herself, child, and you. So that would be 3 in your household.

My wife received notice today that she was "ineligible to adjust status to lawful permanent resident alien" stating that I "failed to overcome the excluding provisions of Section212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act"............basically because I am currently unemployed.

WHAT REALLY F'IN BURNS ME UP is the fact that the decision was sent out on Friday EVEN THOUGH they gave us until Friday morning to come up with a cosponsor with an affidavit of support I-864 - WHICH WE DID (my brother and his wife took in just under $100,000 for each of the last 3 years) AND IT APPEARS THEY DIDN'T EVEN LOOK AT IT WHEN THEY MADE THEIR DECISION.

NOW *I* have to go through the formal BS and whatever fees that it costs me to file for a reconsideration or to have the case reopened based on the co-sponsor and I-864 THEY FAILED TO LOOK AT.

IN ADDITION TO THAT I have to go back to my brother's place and have him gather up ALL THAT STUFF AGAIN and make copies and then have them sign a new affidavit of support.

THEY ought to do what is right and overturn it AUTOMATICALLY once the officer gets around to reading all of the forms and evidence we delivered to her on Friday - WITHOUT us having to trigger that.

SHE gave us until Friday to get her the cosponsor and everything and we BROKE OUR ASS to get her EVERYTHING she asked for and EVERYTHING that should be enough to have us be approved - but SHE dropped the ball and failed to remember that she gave us until Friday morning to come up with this - and SHE failed to read the new evidence and information that we delivered.

What burns me up is she told us to go right to her and give her that stuff but security REFUSED to allow us and made us deliver that packet to them. My wife is PO'd because she thinks I should have politely demanded and more or less begged them to let us see the officer - but it was clear to me they were not going to let us see the officer and begging and friendly persuasion was not going to do any good.

My father thinks I should try to track down a number for USCIS and explain what happened, but I don't know if there is anyone that I can talk to that can or would do anything for me WITHOUT going through the time consuming and sometimes expensive formal BS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry to hear about that, timmy_d11. I wonder if an Infopass appointment might help -- especially if you can get one as soon as possible. You could go with the same co-sponsor evidence again and see if they're able to reopen the case right away. Sorry, I don't know if this is possible -- just a suggestion. In any case, no harm trying, and Infopass has at least got to be better than the 1-800 number.

Do not freak out

You are going to be just fine. Just be honest about everything you say to them and they cannot deny you if it just happened recently. I can happen to anyone. We are humans and people working there too. You'll be fine.

Apply for Fee Waiver if You Have to Refile

1-800-375-5283.

If you have to refill, then because you are not working, you qualify for the "Fee Waiver" and would not have to pay fees this time. Now that you have a co-sponsor, there shouldn't be a problem. Somehow I think when this case goes back around, you probaly will be working again. :)

Here is info on the "Fee Waiver" if you are interested.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=de529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1____

oops that is a long website address. :eek:

I hope this helps you out.

The way I see it

a) I should not have to wait for this case "to come back around"

and

b) I still have a cosponsor so it should not matter how long I am unemployed now - obviously I hope to find work as soon as possible, but with a cosponsor it should be a NONFACTOR.