Please help : f1 to H1B conversion and traveling to India

Amya

Hello ppl,

I graduated in Dec. 2005 with OPT starting from Jan 2006. I've a valid F1 visa until 2008. I got an offer from company and they are willing to do my H1. They will file my H1B only on 1st April 2006. but I want to go to India in June 2006. Can I reenter US on OPT F1visa ?
Does my application of H1B visa in April 2006 ( start date not beffore Oct1 2006) will automatically end my OPT F1 visa?
What if my H1B visa is approved before I leave? If I don't get it stamped can I still enter US ?( I'm pretty sure it is not advisable and consulate will not stamp H1 for a start date of Oct 2006 in June)
Is it advisable to file my H1 after I come from india since now US is providing extra 20,000 visa for international students?

Please answer my queries so that I can make plans. Thanks in anticipation.

Same situation

Hi Amya...
i am facing the same situation and seeking some answers.
Did you get some more information on this?please let me know.
thanks

Applying for h1 does not end other status. The F1 status ends as one of the followings happens whichever comes first.

1. F1(OPT) expires.
2. Your H1 is approved with I94 attached, and H1 start date has passed.

If you travel while Change of status with H1 petition is pending, your change of status may not be approved, and you may need to get H1 stamp before starting working with H1.