• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Please Help!! Ethiopian Police certificate

Nurberg

Registered Users (C)
i have been in Ethiopia for more than 2 years, but now i am staying in East Asia.

How can i get certificate of good conduct from Ethiopia without going there?
Can someone submit the request on my behalf? i head they need fingerprints, how i can send it?

Please help me... my interview is getting close.

thank you in advance

Ethiopians can help here.. however, you may approach the nearest ethiopian embassy they might help you as well.

good luck.

Nurberg,

I am in a similar circumstance. Obtaining a police certificate from Ethiopia is really tough; I should rather say a hell. You need to submit the application in person or through someone who has your legal representation and is a resident of Ethiopia. If you have such a person, or can arrange for one, you need to send him/her your second notification letter (THEY DON'T ACCEPT the first notification letter) and your finger print taken at the police station where you are currently residing and put in a sealed envelop. That is all I know, and I don't know if you can alternatively do this through Ethiopian embassy, if they have one, in the country you currently reside.

best of luck

lome

about the ethiopian certificate

Urgent to Nurberg, about the ethiopian police certificate
Sorry i couldn't write you a private message there is something wrong with my internet. Anyhow to answer your question about the Ethiopian certificate.
you don't have to go there or send your fingerprints. I was confused at first too.
The answer is in the ustravelstate.gov, reciprocity column(just google travel state.gov+reciprocity then choose Ethiopia, you'll everything you need to know)

This is what is says

"Police and Prison Records
Available only to those resident in Ethiopia. Certificates of good conduct from the police (Interpol) are available only to people 18 years or older who apply in person in Ethiopia. Three photos, a valid travel document, and a letter requesting the investigation are required for certificate issuance. Persons released from prison are normally given an official release record. "

the day of my interview i printed this page, highlighted this part and took it with me. I then showed it to the officer who double checked himself on the website then said that everything was ok. He took the paper i printed and put it with the rest of the documents required.
So there you go,relax everything is going to be ok. Good luck!!!
:CN:2010EU00005XXX
2008/10: applied for the 1st time throught usafis
06/29/09: 1st notification letter
07/04/09: forms delivered to KCC
11/05/09: 2nd notification letter
11/30/09: medicals done
12/03/09: succesful interview in Paris

Urgent to Nurberg, about the ethiopian police certificate
Sorry i couldn't write you a private message there is something wrong with my internet. Anyhow to answer your question about the Ethiopian certificate.
you don't have to go there or send your fingerprints. I was confused at first too.
The answer is in the ustravelstate.gov, reciprocity column(just google travel state.gov+reciprocity then choose Ethiopia, you'll everything you need to know)

This is what is says

"Police and Prison Records
Available only to those resident in Ethiopia. Certificates of good conduct from the police (Interpol) are available only to people 18 years or older who apply in person in Ethiopia. Three photos, a valid travel document, and a letter requesting the investigation are required for certificate issuance. Persons released from prison are normally given an official release record. "

the day of my interview i printed this page, highlighted this part and took it with me. I then showed it to the officer who double checked himself on the website then said that everything was ok. He took the paper i printed and put it with the rest of the documents required.
So there you go,relax everything is going to be ok. Good luck!!!
:CN:2010EU00005XXX
2008/10: applied for the 1st time throught usafis
06/29/09: 1st notification letter
07/04/09: forms delivered to KCC
11/05/09: 2nd notification letter
11/30/09: medicals done
12/03/09: succesful interview in Paris

Hi bonno, thanks for your reply.
so you mean i dont need the ethiopian police certificate. since it says Available only to those resident in Ethiopia.
i called the office in charge in ethiopia so they said i can ask someone to apply it on my behalf. i already followed their instruction and sent my to someone in ethiopia.
if he cant make it before my interview what do you think? shall print that page or tell them it is on the way?

thanks.

Nurberg,

I am in a similar circumstance. Obtaining a police certificate from Ethiopia is really tough; I should rather say a hell. You need to submit the application in person or through someone who has your legal representation and is a resident of Ethiopia. If you have such a person, or can arrange for one, you need to send him/her your second notification letter (THEY DON'T ACCEPT the first notification letter) and your finger print taken at the police station where you are currently residing and put in a sealed envelop. That is all I know, and I don't know if you can alternatively do this through Ethiopian embassy, if they have one, in the country you currently reside.

best of luck

thanks lome,

i did so, i sent all those documents to someone. is it necessary to put in a sealed envelop?
do you know how long it will take to get it after you apply?

thanks

Help me.....similar situation as you guys

Nurberg,
I am also in a similar situation....need Ethiopian police clearence for processing my Canadian PR. Nurberg, whom did you contacted in Ethiopia to apply on your behalf?..or did you went to embassy with that print out?...

What worked for you..... Pls send me the detials of the person thru whom you obtained your ...Police cleaerence from Ethiopia.....Hoping for a reply soon......

Rubin

Hi guys,
I am a dv 2011 winner from Ethiopia. I currently live in Addis Ababa. I can go to the federal police office and check it out for you. I will try to find out how a person living out of Ethiopia can process his police clearance. In Ethiopia, generally, if someone is not around to facilitate his process in a government institution, his legal representative can act in place of him. To assign someone as a legal representative while living out of Ethiopia, the person needs to apply in his nearby Ethiopian embassy, describing the authority he is giving to his representative. He also should mention the full name and address of the person being represented. I know this because my sister had sent me a letter of representation from the Ethiopian embassy in Berlin asigning me as her legal representative. I will try to contact the federal police office on Monday (they don't work on Saturdays and Sundays) and get you the info. Good luck.

Hi all, today I went to the federal police office where finger prints are taken and checked it out for u. The officer at the information desk told me that to get the police clearance being out of Ethiopia, one needs to do the following: 1) go to the nearby Ethiopian embassy and give finger prints (all ten fingers.) 2) Send the finger prints, two photographs and the photocopy of his passport in an envelope to anyone in Addis Ababa (not necessarily a legal representative.) That person then would take the envelope and give to the federal police office and get the police clearance. I think u can do that and get ur clearances. Good luck.

there is a police in ethiopia and they actually can issue documents????
thats bizare:p

Hi Praha,
I think when we communicate in such forums, we should write things we know and things that would help others pass through their difficult times. I don't understand why you asked that question. You may have your own bad experience previously with the Ethiopian police. However, I would like to let you know that Ethiopia has a powerful military and police force in east Africa with very stable and peaceful cities. That is one of the reasons why it is the seat for many of the big African organizations including the AU. There is a branch of the interpol in Addis Ababa where you can get any documents related with the police if you follow the proper steps. I agree that it not a country filled with overtly corrupted officials like you find in most other African countries where your money is the key to every hole. If you have previously tried to get some documents this way, you have come to the wrong place. Your question also tells me that you are very poor in history and current affairs and know no more than the names of African countries. Please when you get back next time to this forum, try to bring something that contributes to the life of someone. The title of this thread is "Please help!! Ethiopian Police Certificate." So, come here if you have either a question or an answer related to the thread. I have taken a break from my work to go to the federal police office in Addis Ababa in search of answers to the questions posed by some genuine members of this forum. You, however, are belching something you don't know from the comfort of your chair. Don't just come to poke the keys of your computer with uneducated but arrogant fingers of yours. You know what, I would have liked to tell you more, but that would make me the same as yourself. I would like to say "sorry" for other members of the forum for my emotions and wish them all the best.

Police Clearance Certificate--PLEASANT Experience

Hi all, today I went to the federal police office where finger prints are taken and checked it out for u. The officer at the information desk told me that to get the police clearance being out of Ethiopia, one needs to do the following: 1) go to the nearby Ethiopian embassy and give finger prints (all ten fingers.) 2) Send the finger prints, two photographs and the photocopy of his passport in an envelope to anyone in Addis Ababa (not necessarily a legal representative.) That person then would take the envelope and give to the federal police office and get the police clearance. I think u can do that and get ur clearances. Good luck.

Hello.

I obtained the police clearance certificate ('CERTIFICATE OF GOOD CONDUCT') very recently (July 2013) in Ethiopia. The process was PLEASANTLY SMOOTH. I am NOT an Ethiopian citizen.

I took a couple of photocopies of my passport (of the page with my photograph, name, date of birth, etc., and of the page bearing my address), a couple of photocopies of my Ethiopian Temporary Residence ID, and a couple of recent passport-sized photographs to the Ethiopian Federal Police Crime Investigation Sector Forensic Investigation Directorate in Addis Ababa. This directorate is located very close to (i.e., about two minutes' walk from) the Immigration Office. I reached the Federal Police Directorate around 11:00 AM "international time" (i.e., around 5 o'clock "Ethiopian time").

At the Federal Police Directorate, an official collected one photocopy each, of my passport and residence ID, and one passport-sized photograph. He wrote something on the photocopies, returned them to me, and directed me to a couple of police officers seated on a desk nearby, collecting fingerprints. One of the policemen took the photocopies from me, and then took prints of all ten fingers on a sheet of paper. He then told me to come back around 1:00 PM "international time" the next day. There were many people submitting fingerprints.

The next day when I went to collect the certificate, I went to the counter/window where the police official had originally taken the photocopies from me. I told the officer there my name, and he pulled my certificate out from a pile of certificates, and asked me to check it. I noticed spelling errors in my name, and place of birth. When I pointed them out, they asked me to show them my original passport in order to verify the spellings. They then rectified the mistakes and gave me the Certificate of Good Conduct within a few minutes. The fee to be paid was ETB 10.

Overall, it was definitely NOT a hassle to obtain the certificate.

Police Clearance Certificate in Ethiopia--PLEASANT Experience

Hello.

I obtained the police clearance certificate ('CERTIFICATE OF GOOD CONDUCT') very recently (July 2013) in Ethiopia. The process was PLEASANTLY SMOOTH. I am NOT an Ethiopian citizen.

I took a couple of photocopies of my passport (of the page with my photograph, name, date of birth, etc., and of the page bearing my address), a couple of photocopies of my Ethiopian Temporary Residence ID, and a couple of recent passport-sized photographs to the Ethiopian Federal Police Crime Investigation Sector Forensic Investigation Directorate in Addis Ababa. This directorate is located very close to (i.e., about two minutes' walk from) the Immigration Office. I reached the Federal Police Directorate around 11:00 AM "international time" (i.e., around 5 o'clock "Ethiopian time").

At the Federal Police Directorate, an official collected one photocopy each, of my passport and residence ID, and one passport-sized photograph. He wrote something on the photocopies, returned them to me, and directed me to a couple of police officers seated on a desk nearby, collecting fingerprints. One of the policemen took the photocopies from me, and then took prints of all ten fingers on a sheet of paper. He then told me to come back around 1:00 PM "international time" the next day. There were many people submitting fingerprints.

The next day when I went to collect the certificate, I went to the counter/window where the police official had originally taken the photocopies from me. I told the officer there my name, and he pulled my certificate out from a pile of certificates, and asked me to check it. I noticed spelling errors in my name, and place of birth. When I pointed them out, they asked me to show them my original passport in order to verify the spellings. They then rectified the mistakes and gave me the Certificate of Good Conduct within a few minutes. The fee to be paid was ETB 10.

Overall, it was definitely NOT a hassle to obtain the certificate.