• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Please help DV 2012 Visa: Urgently need advice

BengsBengs

Registered Users (C)
Hello All

as you might know my husband got selected for dv2012. we already filled out the required forms and 2 pictures and send it to kkc.
however i almost got creazy...thinking i did a mistake on that forms what if yes? I am not sure anymore if I worte highschool to my college diploma or opposit.
i of course do have the originals and i do have a higschool diploma and also more than 10 years of work experience. but what i wanted to check with you... what if a mistake was made on the forms... not on purpose...? the more i think the more i get crazy...
and at the end my husband was selected do they care more for his documents than for mine? thanks a lot for your help and sorry for asking stupid questions.

Hello All

as you might know my husband got selected for dv2012. we already filled out the required forms and 2 pictures and send it to kkc.
however i almost got creazy...thinking i did a mistake on that forms what if yes? I am not sure anymore if I worte highschool to my college diploma or opposit.
i of course do have the originals and i do have a higschool diploma and also more than 10 years of work experience. but what i wanted to check with you... what if a mistake was made on the forms... not on purpose...? the more i think the more i get crazy...
and at the end my husband was selected do they care more for his documents than for mine? thanks a lot for your help and sorry for asking stupid questions.

It is too late to worry about it now as the forms are already sent. Maybe you should not have rushed it but should have taken your time to read it over and over again before sending it, but as I said, there is not much you can do about it now.
To answer your question. There is no way that KCC will know whether you made a mistake, deliberate or by accident. They assume that everthing is as you said on your forms. You signed a statement at the end of the form that said "I further certify that I have read and understand all the questions set forth above and that the answers I have furnished on this form are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that any false or misleading statement may result in the refusal of a visa or denial of entry into the United States.".
If the mistake is a non-crucial one then it should not be an issue but if it is a crucial one it might make you ineligible. Since a high school education is crucial, I guess that a mistake with that could be bad for you. It all depends on the nature of the mistake.

KCC and the consulate want the docs of the primary applicant. If your husband is a dependant on your application, he does not have to meet the education requirements, only you. The opposite applies if he is the winner with you as a dependant on his application.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Superkruz

Thank you very much for replying me back. I was worried no one will write me regarding this.
Of course I dont even know if I made a mistake but since this is so important for me I am just worried I did thats all. And of course I do have a high schoool diploma so there was no need for me not to tell the truth. I also have all documents for it.
My husband was the winner. So I am only going with him. My husband has 2 Masters degrees and is a Geneticist and Cell biologist. So as far as my understanding most likely it is important that his qualification match first right?
Sorry for so many questions, in hope you can answer them.
We have lived in the states my husbands University degree is from there. I have also worked in the States for 2 years. Do you think this will all help if we have the right documents to get the green card?
Also an other quesiton is. Do they check all the documents right by the time of the interview or do we have to send them to them before the interview so they have time to check?

Thanks a lot!

As you said main applicant who got selected is your husband then dont worry about your mistake you can explain it during interview (they might check all documents during interview).
All criteria will apply on your husband's documents and so education.
Do not worry.

Hello!

I happen to be one of the lucky winners as well and my case number is 2012AS00008XXX. I have sent the documents required (DSP 122 & DS 230 + photos) today.
I just want to get a better understanding of the process if anyone could help out here.

1. Send out forms to KCC
2. Wait for reply from KCC on interview date? Qn-Will KCC contact if they need extra information in the forms?
3. If everything goes smoothly, the interview period should be around Oct/Nov 11 given case number ranking?
4. Get ready for documents required for interview? Will this include bank statements? Any link on this information would be helpful.
5. Suppose interview is successful, will they stamp the visa right away or after sometime?
I understand that we need to travel to US within 6 months from the date visa is stamped. How long do we need to stay in the States to complete the formalities
before we come back to my current country to settle some unfinished matters? How long can we stay out of the States before going there to settle
permenantly?

The timing is a bit of a concern for me because I am intending to start a course in my current country which will take 2 years to complete from Aug 2011- Jul 2013. I am considering whether to start this course at all given the current situation.

Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Hello!

I happen to be one of the lucky winners as well and my case number is 2012AS00008XXX. I have sent the documents required (DSP 122 & DS 230 + photos) today.
I just want to get a better understanding of the process if anyone could help out here.

1. Send out forms to KCC
2. Wait for reply from KCC on interview date? Qn-Will KCC contact if they need extra information in the forms?
3. If everything goes smoothly, the interview period should be around Oct/Nov 11 given case number ranking?
4. Get ready for documents required for interview? Will this include bank statements? Any link on this information would be helpful.
5. Suppose interview is successful, will they stamp the visa right away or after sometime?
I understand that we need to travel to US within 6 months from the date visa is stamped. How long do we need to stay in the States to complete the formalities
before we come back to my current country to settle some unfinished matters? How long can we stay out of the States before going there to settle
permenantly?

The timing is a bit of a concern for me because I am intending to start a course in my current country which will take 2 years to complete from Aug 2011- Jul 2013. I am considering whether to start this course at all given the current situation.

Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Hi,

1. Yes
2. Yes, you can either wait for them to e-mail you about a status update, or keep checking your DV entrant page on their website using your CONF number login details. If the forms weren't filled it correctly (aka all complete info), they might just send them back to you so you can fill them completely.
3. It's hard to say, because this year some things are changing, but it's definitely is not going to be sooner than October. Given your low Case Number, and the fact that you have sent out the forms very soon, you will probably be one of the first ones to be interviewed, which might happen some time in October/November, yes.
4. All the documents and other information for this step are stated here: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4760.html
5. I'm not sure about this, since this year is different to last year. I think after the interview, and after they tell you that you qualify for Green Card, they send you a package with your passport and a letter that you are not suppose to open. The passport has a stamp in it, that allows you to travel to the USA to collect your Green Card, and it expires in 6 months. You can leave the USA as soon as you have entered, and then you should be back in no more than 6 months. People that are going to receive your Green Card in the USA can send it to you by post. You can find a whole lot of information of how to no loose your Green Card on this website: http://www.antaoandchuang.com/i-keeping.html

I'm in kind of the same situation as you are. Good luck!

Hi Powka,

Thanks for your reply.

-I did not state any US address when mailing out the forms cos I have no US address at that moment. Will that be a problem?
-After entering US, do you have any idea how long I would need to stay there to complete the formalities? (At most 2 weeks? as we need to take leave from work)
-I was thinking of getting a job in US (either my husband or myself) before relocating which will be much more reassuring.

5. You have 6 Months to enter the U. S. after you get your visa. Give yourself about 3 weeks to a month before leaving the U. S. to settle your unfinished business. However, ensure that you enter the U. S. again before 6 months expire after your exit.

The 3-4 weeks you need in the U. S. is time to get your Social Security Card, Your Green Card & Welcome package, Process your Identity Card/Driver's license (You might wat to take a driving test asap because a Driver's License is more often used than just a regular identity card.
Hi,

1. Yes
2. Yes, you can either wait for them to e-mail you about a status update, or keep checking your DV entrant page on their website using your CONF number login details. If the forms weren't filled it correctly (aka all complete info), they might just send them back to you so you can fill them completely.
3. It's hard to say, because this year some things are changing, but it's definitely is not going to be sooner than October. Given your low Case Number, and the fact that you have sent out the forms very soon, you will probably be one of the first ones to be interviewed, which might happen some time in October/November, yes.
4. All the documents and other information for this step are stated here: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4760.html
5. I'm not sure about this, since this year is different to last year. I think after the interview, and after they tell you that you qualify for Green Card, they send you a package with your passport and a letter that you are not suppose to open. The passport has a stamp in it, that allows you to travel to the USA to collect your Green Card, and it expires in 6 months. You can leave the USA as soon as you have entered, and then you should be back in no more than 6 months. People that are going to receive your Green Card in the USA can send it to you by post. You can find a whole lot of information of how to no loose your Green Card on this website: http://www.antaoandchuang.com/i-keeping.html

I'm in kind of the same situation as you are. Good luck!

An other question: Even my husbands case number is EU....15XXX can it be that we will get at least the notification soon for when that the interview is being scheduled for?
We did send the documents ASAP to KKC. So I know the interview date is not going to be soon but at least will I receive the letter in few weeks stating an interview date?
Thanks!

BengsBengs,

You can check the interview period by looking at the past year sequence at Visa Bulletin.
Your case number has to be lower than what's being indicated depending on the region you are in.
For e.g Jan 2011 the Asian region the number has to be lower than 13,300
(Scroll down till you see DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT (DV) CATEGORY)

Hi Noelle

:( I am trying to look this up but dont understand it quite.
Can you look up for me the EU if we ar in? our number is 15XXX
I would appricate it so much :( I looked up and saw EU several numbers and am not sure.
Can you help?

Hi Noelle

:( I am trying to look this up but dont understand it quite.
Can you look up for me the EU if we ar in? our number is 15XXX
I would appricate it so much :( I looked up and saw EU several numbers and am not sure.
Can you help?

Beng Beng,

According to the schedule for DV winners of 2011, the interviews for case no lower than 15,400 took place in Jan 2011. For your case, it might be around Jan 2012. I cannot post the link here for some reason.

Hi Powka,

Thanks for your reply.

-I did not state any US address when mailing out the forms cos I have no US address at that moment. Will that be a problem?
-After entering US, do you have any idea how long I would need to stay there to complete the formalities? (At most 2 weeks? as we need to take leave from work)
-I was thinking of getting a job in US (either my husband or myself) before relocating which will be much more reassuring.

- It's fine, because not everyone has an address at the time of mailing those forms, although you have to get an address and present it to the person who is going to be interviewing you - they need to know where to post your Green Card.
- I'm not sure about the formalities, but as far as I'm concerned, the only formality is to actually cross US border, and you might get issued Social Security Number automatically with your Green Card (I'm not really sure on this one, because you might have to apply for SSN by yourself). So 1 week should be plenty (you probably won't catch a plane sooner than 3 days anyway, and you're going to be jet lagged so you'll want to rest for a while). The rest of the stuff you can do after you get back to the USA. You don't need to take all Driving tests, etc. straight away; your Green Card/SSN can be mailed to you by regular post to whichever country you're going to be in as soon as you friends/relatives in the USA receive it.
- Having a steady job and understandable employer would definitely benefit a lot, especially if he would be willing to help you out with all forms/blanks to fill in and assure that you won't have any problems getting back to the USA.

Beng Beng,

According to the schedule for DV winners of 2011, the interviews for case no lower than 15,400 took place in Jan 2011. For your case, it might be around Jan 2012. I cannot post the link here for some reason.

Oh thanks a lot! You helped me a lot its very nice of you... thanks again...
Do you think I will be finished until sep 2012 with everything? I am concerned I will not get the visa when I have the interview in Jan-Feb 2012 because time is only until Sep 2012? (sorry for stupid questions.)

We have lived in the states my husbands University degree is from there. I have also worked in the States for 2 years. Do you think this will all help if we have the right documents to get the green card?
What degree you have and where you worked makes no difference. All that matters is whether you are from an eligible country and can satisfy the education requirement of 12 years at school. If you have all your civil documents in order, you will get the visa. Degrees etc. does not give you any advantage nor is it a substitute for any of the civil documents.

Also an other quesiton is. Do they check all the documents right by the time of the interview or do we have to send them to them before the interview so they have time to check?
You don't send them beforehand. All docs are checked at the interview.

Oh thanks a lot! You helped me a lot its very nice of you... thanks again...
Do you think I will be finished until sep 2012 with everything? I am concerned I will not get the visa when I have the interview in Jan-Feb 2012 because time is only until Sep 2012? (sorry for stupid questions.)

You will get your visa after you had an interview and present them with all required documents anyway, it won't matter what's the date (even though you will most definitely going to get it before Sep 2012).

hello noelle

thanks a lot for checking this for so nice of you. thanks a lot... if i get the interview in jan-feb 2012 do you think i will still make it till september 2012? I am just concerned that they say visa time is over. thanks a lot ... really nice to be here

hello noelle

thanks a lot for checking this for so nice of you. thanks a lot... if i get the interview in jan-feb 2012 do you think i will still make it till september 2012? I am just concerned that they say visa time is over. thanks a lot ... really nice to be here

Visa is going to be valid for 6 months. So it doesn't really matter if it's past September 2012 already. By September 2012 you have to have been done everything else - documents, interview, etc. that's what the deadline is for, not your visa.