Please help,as spouse I485 pending,can't get driver license!

NYvs

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

My husband filed 1-485 for both of us in 2004, he's primary applicant,I-140 approved. I was H1b, but I don't like my job, I applied EAD and got it this May, I then quit my job and moved to CT,I want to use EAD to find a new job since I'm secondary, I can work for any company.

BUT when I went to DMV to transfer my driver license, the officer won't do it for me, he said since I quit my old job, I'm not H1B, and I said yes, I filed I485 and pending, I got EAD, I can work, but he said you are not H1B, F1..."Pending is future, is not your current status...", and he said he need to run my file in INS, and he went back to his desk to do that, I waited almost whole day in DMV, he said, nothing returned yet, and let me go home and go back again. Today I went to DMV, they told me they can't give me CT driver license until my case is approved, that is get the "Green Card". :mad:

What should I do? It's true I can't get driver license when AOS? I can still use my old diver license and registration, but if I still use out of state license plate ,my neighbor may report, or new company will feel strange that I don't use CT's. :( :(

Any body has same experience? Is there any ways I can transfer my driver license and registration??? Thank you very much!

NYvs said:
Hello all,

My husband filed 1-485 for both of us in 2004, he's primary applicant,I-140 approved. I was H1b, but I don't like my job, I applied EAD and got it this May, I then quit my job and moved to CT,I want to use EAD to find a new job since I'm secondary, I can work for any company.

BUT when I went to DMV to transfer my driver license, the officer won't do it for me, he said since I quit my old job, I'm not H1B, and I said yes, I filed I485 and pending, I got EAD, I can work, but he said you are not H1B, F1..."Pending is future, is not your current status...", and he said he need to run my file in INS, and he went back to his desk to do that, I waited almost whole day in DMV, he said, nothing returned yet, and let me go home and go back again. Today I went to DMV, they told me they can't give me CT driver license until my case is approved, that is get the "Green Card". :mad:

What should I do? It's true I can't get driver license when AOS? I can still use my old diver license and registration, but if I still use out of state license plate ,my neighbor may report, or new company will feel strange that I don't use CT's. :( :(

Any body has same experience? Is there any ways I can transfer my driver license and registration??? Thank you very much!

How many points you have to satisfy to get driver's License in CT? If I remember correctly you should be in a position to get your driver's license as long as you have a valid EAD. sometimes front desk staff may not cooperate and they claim as if they know the rules and regulations better than you. So you talk to the supervisor/office manager of the DMV center where you went. Talk to him/her and explain to them. OR you go through your employer (HR I mean). They might help you. In principle you should get driver's license.

Probably you might need to give a written test (objective type test) and I am not sure about what rules are in CT. differs from state to state.

Good luck

first of all calm down a bit... u can use your licence and registration nobody is going to report you, I used my MA licence abd DL for about 1.5 years till registration expired and I had to get the new plates... I was on H1 at that time, so everything went very smoothly...

as for your current AOS status and morons at CT DMV's I know what you talking about. My wife was unable to get a licence for 1.5 years even though she had valid EAD, they wanted a "proof of status", and asked for I-485 receipt at New Britain's DMV... apparently INS lost my wife's I-485 receipt and it took them a year to send us a copy... we went in to New Britain's DMV again just to be shot down again this time it was something else... We GAVE UP to get DL at New Britain's DMV, I was ready to file a complaint...

so, finally, we setup another appointment at Danbury's DMV... we had an appointment for 12:30 noon... everything went OK, she passed the tests, and we started to wait for a INS check for her to comeback from INS, they sent 1st request at around 1PM.... it was 5PM and nothing came back, so I asked them to send another one... at 7 PM DMV closed, they allowed us and a few other people to stay since INS was the only thing that was holding us from getting the DL... we got a response at 9:35PM.... there were few officers left and a few other people like us who were waiting for INS check results... we got the response, they gave her a DL and closed the office.... other people waiting didn't get the response and were asked to comeback another day, they basically wasted their appointments...

so, my suggestion is, try another DMV, like Dandury's for example, go to place were people care about other people and know what AOS is... don't deal with morons at New Britains DMV, superwiser was very rude, such people should not be working at public services...

GL.

Thank you,I went to Hampden DMV

Thank you very much for sharing, the officer basicly don't understand AOS and I don't think he's nice, he's like "I do this every day, don't tell me...".
I paied $40 for transfer fee 1st and they won't give me back even they rejected me, they said I can go back in 90 days with Green card, oh, I wish!!!! :eek:

NYvs said:
Thank you very much for sharing, the officer basicly don't understand AOS and I don't think he's nice, he's like "I do this every day, don't tell me...".
I paied $40 for transfer fee 1st and they won't give me back even they rejected me, they said I can go back in 90 days with Green card, oh, I wish!!!! :eek:

Contact Local Congressmen or Senetor. They will help you.

GCG -- how to apply for duplicate I-485 notice

GCG,

How do I apply for the duplicate I-485 notice, I only have the copy of the I-485 through my attorney. My I-485 is pending at VSC. I need the original I-485 for renewing the PA driving lience.

Thanks

We just called VSC few times and said we did not get the I-485 reciept notice and we need one for the DMV... they promised to send us a duplicate... it took them almost 1 year to send one though, so be prepared...

Thank you so much GCG!!!!!

Hi GCG,

I went to Danbury DMV, and yes they are very nice and no long line either, when I went to Hampden DMV, the 1st day I waited in line for about 2 hours,most of time noboday in the counter to call us, I almost passed out since I was weak that time. The Danbury DMV is clean, and almost no need to wait, I gave my passport, old DL,I-485 receipt and EAD to the lady, she said "I don't need I-485 receipt", so again an officer called me later and said he's going to so immigration check on me,but he NEVER question my status, 1st day, they told me nothing back yet, I have to go back again, so I went back 2nd day, and the officer told me "You are OK", and then I took picture and got DL in 5 minutes.

Thank you so much GCG,Danbury DMV has very nice people and know what they are doing, not like dirty Hamdton DMV treat us like criminal, if people in AOS, don't waste time and money go to Hamden DMV. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hi Nyvs

Hi NYvs,

For how many years they will give drivers license with EAD in Connecticut
state. Is it till the expiry date of EAD or 4 years.

Thanks
BunnyGC

BunnyGC said:
Hi NYvs,

For how many years they will give drivers license with EAD in Connecticut
state. Is it till the expiry date of EAD or 4 years.

Thanks
BunnyGC

Depending on your DOB they could even give you a DL for 9 years... at least they did it for me... lookup CT DMV web site, a;; the info is there...