please help: ADDRESS CHANGE-- YOUR EXPERIENCE?

eb2kid

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am about to file my I-485, and my lawyers are making me paranoid about address change. I plan to move in about 6 months, and they recommend I should either not move until I receive my GC or not file until I move, b/c they say the address change often times goes wrong.

My questions
-- what are ppl's experiences w/ address changes of pending I-485's?

-- Has anyone used PO box numbers instead of physical addresses? My lawyers strongly advise against it, but I called the USCIS hotline twice and both parties said it was ok to use PO box addresses.

-- Has anyone tried their work or Mailboxes ETC address?

Thanks for your help.

Another question...

Another question:
Suppose I moved, and the I-485 approval notice and the GC were returned to the USCIS b/c they did not process my address change properly.

What would I do in that case? Can the I-485 approval easily be reissued? Or how else could I get my visa stamp if I wanted to travel after this has happened?

Another question:
Suppose I moved, and the I-485 approval notice and the GC were returned to the USCIS b/c they did not process my address change properly.

What would I do in that case? Can the I-485 approval easily be reissued? Or how else could I get my visa stamp if I wanted to travel after this has happened?

file the I-485, when move update the 1800NCSC and also write letter to service center.
then again call 1800 if your address change has beeen updated. I think USCIS is starting online address change for pending petitions (they have started for form AR11)

before they approve your I-485 they have to send you I-485 filing reciept then Fingerprinting notice . you have enough time. once get I-485 reciept get it from Lawyer and keep checking online status. once plan to move then post in I-485 thread. I have replied to you in that thread. your employeror lawyer is goiving you wrong info.

*** you can also update the address at time of fingerprint so that card is sent to correct address.
** it all depends when you move

Last edited by a moderator:
eb2kid:

Your lawyer is partially correct. Back in those days (some 2 years ago?)
the only way of letting USCIS know on change of address was AR11. He
may not be as current as our fellow Forumers are :D

I moved to my current address when our I485 was pending. It was fortunate
that the approval petition for our I485 went to our lawyer's Office. Our copies
were not sent to our new address as USCIS apparently didn't update our address.

One more good thing was, my GC was re-directed from the old addr to the new one. My wife's GC didn't arrive and she had to file I90 to get the new one on the mail to our current address.

This happened some two years ago. Things may have changed in the last
two years and so get experts advise before stepping on to this issue.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//