please help: ADDRESS CHANGE-- YOUR EXPERIENCE?

eb2kid

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am about to file my I-485, and my lawyers are making me paranoid about address change. I plan to move in about 6 months, and they recommend I should either not move until I receive my GC or not file until I move, b/c they say the address change often times goes wrong.

My questions
-- what are ppl's experiences w/ address changes of pending I-485's?

-- Has anyone used PO box numbers instead of physical addresses? My lawyers strongly advise against it, but I called the USCIS hotline twice and both parties said it was ok to use PO box addresses.

-- Has anyone tried their work or Mailboxes ETC address?

Thanks for your help.

I changed address while I485 is pending. All I did was filling out AR-11 and calling USCIS about the new address. Later I received a mail confirmation of address change from USCSI. That's all. They now have my current address. I don't think it affected my I485 since it is anyway pending for name check.

Hi,

I am about to file my I-485, and my lawyers are making me paranoid about address change. I plan to move in about 6 months, and they recommend I should either not move until I receive my GC or not file until I move, b/c they say the address change often times goes wrong.
My questions
-- what are ppl's experiences w/ address changes of pending I-485's?

-- Has anyone used PO box numbers instead of physical addresses? My lawyers strongly advise against it, but I called the USCIS hotline twice and both parties said it was ok to use PO box addresses.

-- Has anyone tried their work or Mailboxes ETC address?

Thanks for your help.

Lawyer is giving wrong info, file your I-485 and once you get I-485 filing reciept (in 15-20 days after I-485 reach USCIS) you can change address on pending petitions by writing to USCIS where I-485 is pending and also update the 1800NCSC. once call NCSC for address update again call after 15-20 days to confirm if your address has been changed. the letter you send to USCIS service center write your I-485 reciept # your A#, DOB and inform that your new address is.... and your past address is... and sign the letter with date out side the envelope write in big bold letters: Address change request for pending I-485.
** you also need to send form AR11 (it will not change your address on pending petitions with USCIS.
*** FYI if lawyer is filing I-485 then reciept will be sent to his address. only EAD is sent to your address. if you file EAD AP directly then it comes to your address.

**** dont use mailbox

when you move then post here and many will guide you.

No need for panic, file now using your current address, and when you change address send via mail AR-11 and call USCIS 1800 number to request your address change and it should be fine. Also, who knows, your I-485 may be approved in less than 6 months.

For perspective, I used a lawyer for my case and I finished the process without him; they normally give advise to protect themselves rather than their client. So becareful working with attorneys.

Good Luck.

Are you relocating to different state or just street address. I485 requires valid PERM. PERM is based on 'particular' location. There is not enough qualified folks at that location so they 'DOL' approve your PERM and USCIS follows that..

Are you relocating to different state or just street address. I485 requires valid PERM. PERM is based on 'particular' location. There is not enough qualified folks at that location so they 'DOL' approve your PERM and USCIS follows that..

I would not worry about that. That is location you need to work once the GC is approved. With AC-21 these barriers are no more relevent.

Has anyone moved a lot? I have moved a lot - well, at least 5 times in the same city! :) Never been happy with the apartment I move in! :D - I find a new apartment and I like it and I move. Anyone? Well, after filing I485 - I intend to stay at my current address for at least couple of years. In 485 they have a point where they ask "List your addresses for the last 5 years" - anyone had a long list? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem

I think change of address should not be a problem. I have changed my address like8 times in the past 4 yrs..it is a long list for me as well. :)

Has anyone moved a lot? I have moved a lot - well, at least 5 times in the same city! :) Never been happy with the apartment I move in! :D - I find a new apartment and I like it and I move. Anyone? Well, after filing I485 - I intend to stay at my current address for at least couple of years. In 485 they have a point where they ask "List your addresses for the last 5 years" - anyone had a long list? :D

Pls Advice

I have moved 4-5 times since I came to US.I have always filed AR-11 to inform USCIS about my address change.

However in the AR-11 form there is a Question asking for Alien Number.I was not aware what to mention and never entered it.

Will this pose any problem.If yes what?

Pls help

I have 10 addresses in the past 5.5 years.

My understanding is that the AR-11 is form is only important during the I-485 filing, because it is this time USCIS will send some papers to your address. The previous stages it is all sent to the company + laywer.

Anyway, the receipt # of I485 is the Alien #. So, for any future correspondence with USCIS you have to use the Alien/Receipt number. So for the time being (if you have not got the receipt #) just mention "I485 has been filed" or "AOS in process"

Alien # is NOT the Receipt #

There is a separate Alien # = A# on the I-485 receipt, use that, something of the format A12 345 678

I have 10 addresses in the past 5.5 years.

My understanding is that the AR-11 is form is only important during the I-485 filing, because it is this time USCIS will send some papers to your address. The previous stages it is all sent to the company + laywer.

Anyway, the receipt # of I485 is the Alien #. So, for any future correspondence with USCIS you have to use the Alien/Receipt number. So for the time being (if you have not got the receipt #) just mention "I485 has been filed" or "AOS in process"

Please advice on this one....

If one is on H1 and has not filed 485 then what is the Alien # in that case?

Appreciate your help.

If one is on H1 and has not filed 485 then what is the Alien # in that case?

Appreciate your help.

If you've never had any kind of EAD before, then you dont have an A #. In that case it would be first generated at the time of I-140 approval, if you don't already have it approved. For people who've had an EAD e.g. OPT EAD, the card has an A # and their I-140 approval retains the same A #

-a