Please guys I need help !!!

roxy2009

Registered Users (C)
I had an intreview with my USC wife few days ago in Baltimore. The whole thing lasted may be 20 minutes. At the end of the intreview, the IO told me that she was going to recommend my I30 for approval. However, she said she was going to review my I485 and perhaps request more documents before she makes a decision.
My question to you is,
Do you think second degree assault is a CIMT? It's the only charge I have had in my life. Back in 2001 I was charged with 2nd degree assault. I went to court and got one year unsupervised probabtion. Some people have told me that my crime is a "simple crime" which is not a CIMT. But also others have said that it all depends on the IO and the way they interpet the final disposition. Is that true?
what do you guys think?

Thanks a million !!!

I had an intreview with my USC wife few days ago in Baltimore. The whole thing lasted may be 20 minutes. At the end of the intreview, the IO told me that she was going to recommend my I30 for approval. However, she said she was going to review my I485 and perhaps request more documents before she makes a decision.
My question to you is,
Do you think second degree assault is a CIMT? It's the only charge I have had in my life. Back in 2001 I was charged with 2nd degree assault. I went to court and got one year unsupervised probabtion. Some people have told me that my crime is a "simple crime" which is not a CIMT. But also others have said that it all depends on the IO and the way they interpet the final disposition. Is that true?
what do you guys think?

Thanks a million !!!

from what I see, the IO is probably going to take your papers to his/her upper manager for approval. If he think your second degree assault is a CIMT, he/she won't say he'll recommend it for approval. Again, there's still chances that the upper manager is looking at your case at a different point.

Thank you for posting back bestpal.
Let me ask you this please; Do you think that a second degree assault is a crime of CIMT? I have been researching this topic for the past week or so. And to be honest the more I read about it the more I get confused. No wonder I am not a lawyer !!! Some lawyers believe that is is, and some just find it silly to do so. What do you think? In my case, what do you think will make the IO say, "ok, it is a CIMT, or, nah, no big deal?"

Yeah. I can understand your confusion. CIMT can sometimes prove to be a grey area which it comes to certain offenses. While Im about as useful as a chocolate fireguard when it comes to such issues, here is a very useful link written by a very knowledgeable US immigration lawyer......maybe it will contain information that may be able to help you.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559272