Please evaluate my case

yelaine

Registered Users (C)
Recent Ph.D in materials Science and Engineering ( top 14 in USA universities)
13 papers on international peered journal with five of them pending. 9 of 13 is the first author.
citation ~11 since most papers are published recently and also because our field is quite narrow. One paper has been cited by a handbook for 40 times
7 presentations , all first author
paper reviewer of four papers of two international peered journals, directly invited
4 memberships with 1 of them by nomination
7~8 recommendation letter may be obtained from very famous companys and internationally recognized scholars.

yelaine said:
13 papers on international peered journal with five of them pending. 9 of 13 is the first author.
citation ~11 since most papers are published recently and also because our field is quite narrow. One paper has been cited by a handbook for 40 times
paper reviewer of four papers of two international peered journals, directly invited
7~8 recommendation letter may be obtained from very famous companys and internationally recognized scholars.

What are you doing now, careerwise?

yelaine said:
currently working as a post doc at the same university

You'll have to work all aspects of your career into the petition, but I can see you being successful with the right preparation.

Brian

If you can get around a permanent position issue and present a quality petition I think you're shoo-in for an OPR.

yelaine said:

When did you finish your PhD ? For OR you need at least 3 years of work experience (postdoc is ok) after your PhD before you can apply for it. OR seems good for you as long as you have a permanent position. Of course it depends a lot how your recommendation letters and your petition are written. EA will be pretty tough for you and NIW is impossible to say since there it is important in which field you are working and a lot of other background information.

Thank all for your valuable suggestions. I got my Ph.D degree this year. It is a really a tough decision for me to select a way to apply a green card. If I try OR, I do not have 3 year experiences. Try NIW, it may have a lot uncertainties and my evidences seems unsuitable. Try EA, I did consult a local immigration lawyer. He said I have a chance there, but the disadvantage is my Visa status. I am currently a F-1. EA definitely needs at leat a H-1B visa if I do not have Nobel prize.

yelaine said:
Thank all for your valuable suggestions. I got my Ph.D degree this year. It is a really a tough decision for me to select a way to apply a green card. If I try OR, I do not have 3 year experiences. Try NIW, it may have a lot uncertainties and my evidences seems unsuitable. Try EA, I did consult a local immigration lawyer. He said I have a chance there, but the disadvantage is my Visa status. I am currently a F-1. EA definitely needs at leat a H-1B visa if I do not have Nobel prize.

Why don't you do a postdoc or look for a job and then you go for OR in 2-3 years ? I think that is the best you can do in the moment.

Brian, would you please make it more clear on that " work all aspects of your career into the petition"? By the way, would you please let me know your lawyer's name?

Many thanks.

yelaine said:

If you had a "permanent" position, you would be ideal for OR. I would be careful about applying for OR as a postdoc. Lots of denials because this is considered to be an "temporary" position by USCIS. Maybe try EA? consult a lawyer. Many good lawyers will offer a free consult, possibly online. Good luck.