rr_green

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I am in a quandry regarding working on my immigration DURING the time
that I am working on my Doctorate from a top 20 school in Mechanical
Engineering.

As of now I have fourteen papers sent out of which 4 can be mentioned
as book chapters. Thirteen of them are Journal Papers, and 1 is a conference
paper. Of the 14, 11 are (will be-3 in review) published in USA International Journals..I not have too many citations just a handful, I guess like 10 so far..

My question is should I file for NIW while I am pursuing my PhD. The advantage in this case would be if I get through I would be ready for my
greencard by the time I am done with my PhD. Or should I holdoff and
once I have my PhD file for it.

Any advice and your time is sincerely appretiated.

rr-green

rr_green said:
Hi All,

I am in a quandry regarding working on my immigration DURING the time
that I am working on my Doctorate from a top 20 school in Mechanical
Engineering.

As of now I have fourteen papers sent out of which 4 can be mentioned
as book chapters. Thirteen of them are Journal Papers, and 1 is a conference
paper. Of the 14, 11 are (will be-3 in review) published in USA International Journals..I not have too many citations just a handful, I guess like 10 so far..

My question is should I file for NIW while I am pursuing my PhD. The advantage in this case would be if I get through I would be ready for my
greencard by the time I am done with my PhD. Or should I holdoff and
once I have my PhD file for it.

Any advice and your time is sincerely appretiated.

rr-green
well rrgreen

from the information you provided it is difficult to say anything about NIW
NIW sits of several factors: National interest: Intrinsic merit and ur unique abilities to acheive that national interest. If you can explain little bit more about these three we will be able to suggest something. All i can say preliminary your publication record is impressive consering that u r doing phD. citations are important to show impact of ur work ...if they are less...u need to cover that with impressive independent letters.....

In addition to the above comment do you have your Masters? If so that is an advanced degree and if you search there have been NIW petitions approved for people completing their PhDs. Which sercive center would you be under? Another important question since Texas appears the easiest while some are very difficult. Also, apply I140 and not concurrent if you are F1 because is 140 is denied there could be issues with 485 filing and validity of F1.

Dear All,

Thanks for your time and input for my case. To elaborate as mentioned by
eb1doc, my experience has been in the fields of heat and mass transfer and porous fluid flow. Now I am moving on to Nano-tech field. The underlining theme of the research has been finite elements. Also, I have a Masters from a top 20 university in the US and would be infact applying from Texas.

Do let me know your views based on the above. There are still good people left in this world.

rr-green

Texas is good news as is the fact you have your masters. You will need excellent letters of recommendation from experts in your field within US and potentially overseas. Talk to your PhD advisor as they can usually make contacts for you. Your cover letter should also scream national interest. You may try to get letters from the people who have cited your work saying how strong your work is. If your publications are extremely specialized or new thata explains the relatively few citations. Mine was approved with 15 publications (5 first author) as a new PhD but had good letters and a good cover letter. I did this myself but if you plan to do this too then use this forum fully to avoid pitfalls.

Good luck

Thanks Gopherhund for your input. I appretiate your help much.
There were a couple of things you mentioned..like self filing and
also the papers and all. Was very instructive for me. All these lawyers
I have been contacting LOSM and Peng have been asking for around
$7000 or more for the filing for the above..As you mentioned you self
filed did you use any DIY (do it yourself--i dont like these shorcuts as
it has me confused but learning the verbiage here!) kits. I have been
doing a lot of research into this NIW thing and I think that this greencardapply.com is a good deal. Since you got approval and all PLEASE
let me know which kits you used..they are a lot more affordable as compared
to the lawyers. Still have not completely negated lawyers just exploring
for cheaper options as I am not exactly the richest man in this world.

rr-green