Please advise...urgent!! ****

aditi12345

Registered Users (C)
I have been on H1 visa for last 2 years on a research job...and now have got accepted in a 4 year psychiatry residency program that is willing to sponsor me both H1 and j1 visas.

my questions are --

1) If i go for h1 visa , i will use up all the 6 years on my h1 at the end of my residency. As such, I am clueless as to what will be my options at the end of residency, ie, once i used up my 6 years on h1???

2) also, in that case, will it be better for me to go for j1 rather than h1??

3) I have heard that you can apply for GC at end of residency, and if i find a job well within my third year of residency who are willing to hire me at the end of 4 years of my residency, can they file for my GC in third year itself as a future employee (as i wont be able to start working until the end of my residency)??? Also, I am not even sure if any place will hire you in advance as a future employee??

any feedback plz...thanks in advance!!

I have been on H1 visa for last 2 years on a research job...and now have got accepted in a 4 year psychiatry residency program that is willing to sponsor me both H1 and j1 visas.

my questions are --

1) If i go for h1 visa , i will use up all the 6 years on my h1 at the end of my residency. As such, I am clueless as to what will be my options at the end of residency, ie, once i used up my 6 years on h1???

2) also, in that case, will it be better for me to go for j1 rather than h1??

3) I have heard that you can apply for GC at end of residency, and if i find a job well within my third year of residency who are willing to hire me at the end of 4 years of my residency, can they file for my GC in third year itself as a future employee (as i wont be able to start working until the end of my residency)??? Also, I am not even sure if any place will hire you in advance as a future employee??

any feedback plz...thanks in advance!!

Stay with H1B1. You can get a job in 3rd year and then extend your H1B1 based on retrogression for India (Name sounds like Indian). It is not difficult to find Jobs in psychiatry. People will be easily willing to sponsor your GC.
If you have some publication you can apply in EB1. I did same. I spent 1.5 years of H1 in research currently finishing my Child Psychiatry Fellowship. I got my EB1 GC in 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
stay with H-1
While J-1 waiver jobs in psychiatry are currently easy to come by, they may not be so easy in 4 years time.(when I finished in 1998 it was really difficult to find a waiver position). You can get a green card petition approved witha future employer. There will be employers willing to do that for you.

For similar reasons, some years ago, I took the J1. However, will advise you to take the H1B. You can moonlight as a PGY3 and also get someone to file your GC for future employment by the end of your PGY3. Alternatively, if you do end up taking the J1, then finding a waiver is also not difficult. H1B is preferable.

psychmd7, schandrag, ajasha -- First of all, thanks to all of you for your kind reply!

psychmd7 -- You mentioned that you took j1 for similar reasons? But, do u still think I should go for H1?????

ajasha -- did u use 1.5 years of your H1 before doing your residency, which means, exactly similar to my case?? And also, did u apply for your GC in third year??

Any details/feedback will be highly appreciated!!
Thanks once again for all your help.
Regards!

psychmd7, schandrag, ajasha -- First of all, thanks to all of you for your kind reply!

psychmd7 -- You mentioned that you took j1 for similar reasons? But, do u still think I should go for H1?????

ajasha -- did u use 1.5 years of your H1 before doing your residency, which means, exactly similar to my case?? And also, did u apply for your GC in third year??

Any details/feedback will be highly appreciated!!
Thanks once again for all your help.
Regards!

I applied for my GC in second year in EB1A. My I-140 was approved in third year and my I-485 was approved in PGY4.

Most people will agree that taking H1B is better as you do not have to deal with J1 waiver. But it is an individual decision. I chose J1 as I wanted to do Child Psych fellowship (4+2 or 3+2) and also wanted to transfer out to a different program after PGY-1. I thought it would be easier to transfer to a good University based program on a J1 rather than H1B and that was my goal then. However, as it turned out the "good" University based program I transferred to also did H1B. Regardless, getting a waiver in Psychiatry is easy. However, I learned that it cost me personally as I ended up transferring the waiver during the 3 year due to personal hardship. So, ultimately you have to decide. If you take H1B, have to be proactive about getting a job and employer to sponsor you and/or working on publications for EB1 (especially if you are Indian-but harder to do in Psychiatry).

PsychMD
I agree that it is relatively easy to get a J-1 waiver position currently. However, that may not be the case in 4 years. Moreover, it is not more difficult to get a employer to sponsor one for a GC in PGY3 than it is to get a J-1 waiver.

thank you so much all of you for your kind replies!

and i feel..it is a chance i will have to take...either being pro-active and getting some publications in first yr to be able to apply for EB1 GC myself by PGY2 or find an employer in PGY3...OR go for j1 and apply for waiver job...

i think i will go for h1...as i think that there will always be an option to go back for j1..esp if i get a fellowhip offer after PGY3??

am not sure...but hope i m making the right choice?! :)

psychMD - i m sorry...but i m not sure as to what you meant by "especially if you are Indian-but harder to do in Psychiatry"

thanks once again!

Since there is such a backlog for EB2 immigrant visa numbers, the best bet for Indians (at least currently) is to apply for EB1 category. This involves requiring research publications (among other things) usually harder to achieve in Psychiatry than other medical fields.