please advice urgent

poseidon

Registered Users (C)
I am an asylee have one year an a couple of weeks with that status but i needed to travel on an emergency and ordered a RTD (i-131) expedite handling now i am having second thoughts and will like to aply for GC. Is the RTD still valid , do i have to submitt it again ? if apply for GC an they Aprove the RTD can I travel with it? I am in a complex situation I am going to cop and want to see what is my best alternative to come back . THANKS. By the way i ordered my RTD expedite handling and the only thing I have received is the receipt this was 3 weeks ago.

To be clear:

1. You have been an asylee for a year and some days/weeks?

2. You had submitted an application for Travel Document-Expedited process requested?

3. What did your reason for the speedy processing?

4. You now want to apply for a greencard? IS this before you travel?

5. You want to know if the Travel Document when issued if you can still use it while your "application for greencard" is being processed?

I think this part is dependant on how long the travel document issued for. I believe it is valid for 2 years. And once you have it, you can use it until the expiration. But the experts should clarify this point for you.

6. Why do you want to go back to country of persecution? I take it that you have carried out extensive research from people's experiences with immigration, when returning from country of Persecution. Have you consulted with an attorney?

Pinkie said:
To be clear:

5. You want to know if the Travel Document when issued if you can still use it while your "application for greencard" is being processed?

I think this part is dependant on how long the travel document issued for. I believe it is valid for 2 years. And once you have it, you can use it until the expiration. But the experts should clarify this point for you.

One year.Never two.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

yes I have been here for one year and a month. I havent applied for gc but was about. My father is terminal and has few days to live and i wanted to see him so i asked for a RTD to go see him for a couple of days. I order it expedite handling for this reasons. I am having seconds thoughts and wanted to know if it was more probable to travel to COP as resident applicant than as an asylee. I talked to the lawyer who was going to do my GC and to a friend that works for Imigration but they arent really informed about the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to be careful about visiting COP before approval of permanent residency. Most especially you have not even applied for your adjustment of status yet. Visiting COP might have severe consequences on your adjustment or make DHS beleive that you no longer need the protection as an asylee. However, if you are approved for the I-131 you can use it to travel but keep in mind that this will raise alot of issues during adjudication of your I-485 becuase they will find out through CLAIMS/ exit & entry data that you visited COP.

Try to send in your I-485 application before you do anything. Also, you need to have a good immigration attorney that has a lenthy experience with Asylee issues. They can advice you better.

So do you think I should send my papers for the residency , I just received the RTD(i-131) and when I was applying for it I specialy stated that I was going to visit my country of persecution for the reasons I stated before, and they granted it; doesnt that mean that I have thier approval because if it was not possible they wouldnt have give it to me?
Advice. should I do my paper work before leaving, to start the GC process or should I travel As asylee which on e would be less risky thanks.

By the way I noticed that my RTD says
TYPE: TP
ENTRIES: M
COUNTRY: COL "IS THIS REFERING TO MY CITIZENSHIP OR THE COUNTRY I INTEND TO VISIT. I AM COLOMBIAN''
CLASS: ASYLEE
RESTRICTIONS: NONE

THEY STATED MY STATUS DOES THIS MEAN I CAN NOT USE IT WHILW MY CHANGE OF STATUS.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can travel back if there is an important reason to do so. You do have that reason. Make sure you bring a proof of your father being terminal ill (medical documents...) in order to show USCIS upon request. And do not deny your visit when asked by Immigration officer. You do have a legit reason and will not have wny problems.
By you applying for GC and leaving after will not change anything. Bu you should apply anyway since it's a long proccess, don't waste time.

Sorry about your dad!

poseidon said:
So do you think I should send my papers for the residency , I just received the RTD(i-131) and when I was applying for it I specialy stated that I was going to visit my country of persecution for the reasons I stated before, and they granted it; doesnt that mean that I have thier approval because if it was not possible they wouldnt have give it to me?
Advice. should I do my paper work before leaving, to start the GC process or should I travel As asylee which on e would be less risky thanks.

By the way I noticed that my RTD says
TYPE: TP
ENTRIES: M
COUNTRY: COL "IS THIS REFERING TO MY CITIZENSHIP OR THE COUNTRY I INTEND TO VISIT. I AM COLOMBIAN''
CLASS: ASYLEE
RESTRICTIONS: NONE

THEY STATED MY STATUS DOES THIS MEAN I CAN NOT USE IT WHILW MY CHANGE OF STATUS.

Type: TP = temporary
entries: M = mulitiple or more than one...
You have no restrictions.

Bring back a "CERTIFICATE of Medical Illness" notarized by if possible American Embassy in Colombia. If you can't do that, make sure you have some proof that it is a real document. This is the only document USCIS will honor. It should be in english or translated(in united states).

When you enter U.S, show this and you will be ok.

wantmygcnow said:
Type: TP = temporary
entries: M = mulitiple or more than one...
You have no restrictions.

Bring back a "CERTIFICATE of Medical Illness" notarized by if possible American Embassy in Colombia. If you can't do that, make sure you have some proof that it is a real document. This is the only document USCIS will honor. It should be in english or translated(in united states).

When you enter U.S, show this and you will be ok.

The us embassy In Colombia Is in Bogota and it is far from my destiny, can i translate them in my previous School? they are certified and I have done it with university transcripts would this be valid? Should I bring originals in spanish besides the translations ?

When traveling to COP with RTD should I take with me my Colombian passport to enter Colombia or the RTD should do it. What roll will my Passport play? thanks

poseidon said:
When traveling to COP with RTD should I take with me my Colombian passport to enter Colombia or the RTD should do it. What roll will my Passport play? thanks
Use your passport entering Colombia. Use RTD when entering USA. And like others said, bring some proof of your father's condition and you will have nothing to worry about in regards to INS.... I am sorry for your father. As for GC, I say apply for it now, do not waste any time.