Please Advice:plan to marry but live separately

socallover

Hello, I hope someone can help/answer my question to relieve my concern.
I'm planning to re-marry to ex-husband who was married to me 22 years ago and divorced after 5 years.
Now he is a GC holder but we planned to marry after he become a USC in next year.
(he's waiting for an interview now)
However, we are planning to not living together because of our son.
I am now living with our son in CA and he is going to college in CA.
But my ex is living in NJ and he has job there.
I would like to stay in CA since our son is here and to keep a place for him to come back and
to meet his high school friends.
I also would like to visit our son sometimes (once a month or so) and don't want to be away from him.
My ex understand me and said it's ok but I don't know if it's ok to USCIS as well.
I heard husband and wife doesn't live together is going to be tough.
Even we live separately, we love each other (love more than 22 years ago, it's quite different from previous marriage, because we are not young anymore!) and plan to visit each other as much as possible.
Does someone know if our situation does make sense or USCIS may doubt our marriage is sham?
Any advise or similar experience will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

What is your current status? What was your status (and your husband’s) 22 years ago? How did your husband obtain his GC?

Hi, My current status is F1, and we both were not in the US 22 years ago. At that time, we were in my country and he got a resident visa from our marriage.
He got a GC through previous wife and now he is separated and waiting for USC. Thanks.

I see.

Anyway, the situation you described in your initial post will not constitute a bonafide marriage in USCIS’s opinion. It sounds more like a GC marriage. You guys want to get married and continue living your different lives about 30,000 miles away from each other, no co-mingling of assets. You guys do not need to get married in this case, simply continue seeing each other “as much as possible”.

Last edited:
He got a GC through previous wife and now he is separated and waiting for USC. Thanks.

When did all this happen? I believe there is a time limitation on sponsoring a new spouse for a green card if you got your GC through marriage.

This whole situation screams “sham”, and I am sure uscis is way more cynical than we are.

If your Ex wants to , as some would say “help you get your papers”

Which the US Goverment would refer to as “fraud”

Go right ahead but keep in mind .

Be prepared to answer some really personal questions. They will even separate you guys for a different interview if they suspect fraud after the initial interview. Which they might inyour case if you guys dont live together. Your answers must be the same to the questions they ask.

Need to have proof of visits “ photos”
Shared Bank accounts
Vacations together.
What kind of underwear he has on today, “weird right? They ask all kinds of questions.

The kinds of questions you would never expect one to ask, but would be easy to answer if you guys really are husband and wife.

Thanks everyone.
Unless I'm going to NJ, there's no way to prove our marriage is bonafide...
I will talk with my husband.
Thank you!

As long as he visit you and vice-versa. joint account....bills.....you should be fine.
If the wedding is legit. you dont have to be scared.

Last edited: