Please Advice - Address Change Request - Automatic RFE???

Reds

Registered Users (C)
Friends

Please advice, I applied 485 from a different address and I am staying in a different place (same state, 15 miles away). Completed FP in May'02. My friend still stays in my 485 address. Do I have to request address change with INS (AR11, I am not sure)
is address change means an automatic RFE. I am confused. What's the best way to handle the situation

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

File AR-11 via registered mail and call IIO to update

The Justice Dept has had a lot of pressure applied on it recently
to update its records of immigrants' addresses.
This applies to *all* aliens.

While I don't know the full details of the case, a GC holder
in Atlanta was deported by the INS for not updating his
address. Also, having your friend accept any INS correspondence
at your old address is, technically, fraud.

Best to play it safe. I changed state and called the IIO
to update my details. I am, as I type this, calling back
to confirm they have updated the file correctly.

The AR-11 form goes to a Washington address, not
to VSC. it's better to do the right thing and not give
them any avenue to rule against you.

Okay, just spoke to an indifferent IIO. Got the usual
"we're processing August cases." She said I may hear
something in the next four to five weeks. Who knows, eh?

I second Chicken65's opinion

It is any day better to have the approval delayed than to NOT have it at all (or revoked). I would strongly recommend filing an AR-11 (immediately) and sending the change of address information to VSC as well.

There have been horror stories of a person from turkey having lost his citizenship, which he had obtained some 20 years prior, because there was some misrepresentation in his original visa application.

It doesn't take much time for some research intern to start digging up things about any missteps in our applications. Better to be safe (and delayed) than to be sorry.

Listen to the above guys

Reds,

Update your address with INS immediately, that is what my lawyer advised me, and I'm gonna do that (moved last week). Getting RFE is better than getting denial (by this I'm not saying that we'll get RFE for AR11, just in case).

Goodluck.

Regarding Address Change

I have done this and have found the INS to be very inefficient in dealing with these kind of requests.

1) Filed on July 13, 2001 and moved to a different place on Aug 15th, 2001. Called up my lawyer she immediately filled out the forms and sent it out.

2) Got my EAD but did not get my advanced Parole. Called the INS and they said they have mailed to my old address. Remedy file for new advanced parole.

3) Called the lawyer to confirm that address has changed on my I485 application, she confirmed.

4) Call IIO two months back to find out that they still have my old address :( luckily no RFE or Approval notices have been mailed.

I recommend you inform the local post office of the address change. Fill out the necessary paper work for INS and check it after a month or month and a half to see if the INS has actually changed the addresses.

Just like my friends have heard of people getting spanked around for not changing their address, I have heard stories that INS delays the processing time by about 2-3 months with the address change. In any case, address change is the way to go.. just be very meticulous and persistent with tracking that the change has taken place at the INS :)

Good Luck,
- Twilo

my experience

I changed my address recently. Called IIO and she took my new address over the phone and changed it. I asked her if I should send AR-11 (or whatever fomr it is) and she said, that was not required. I asked her again at the end of our conversation and she said 'No'.

I called up again after 2 days and they had my correct new address. Received AP shortly after, and it has the new address on it.

I would suggest u call them up and get it changed over the phone, so that you don't miss any important documents. And if u want, send AR-11, just to be on a safe side.

I didn't send Ar-11.

hope this helps

Yes. Getting the address changed over the phone is faster. You could do that and send it by mail if you feel like it ( or at least that is what I did). In any case, do call the service center a second time (after a week or so) to confirm that the address changes have taken effect on your file(s) (if applying for spouse and children as well).

But, AR-11 is NOT an option! That is a State Department's requirement and not the service center's. With the recent announcement of intention to enforce it very strictly, I wouldn't take chances!