plastic card replacement

kruger

My wife applied for a replacement green card in NY (form I-90) to get her last name changed. She did this in April 2002 ... we havent heard anything from the INS yet. We figured out that our case will be processed by VSC (according to the INS website). A couple of questions:

1. What is the normal processing time for an I-90 application?

2. How do we get to know the status of our case? The phone number mentioned on the INS website is always busy ... the website requires a "13 digit case number" which we dont have.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

you should have already received the receipt which has a receipt number on it.

use that number to check on INS online or thru phone

We did not receive any receipt. We submitted the form at the INS office in New York and after that we received no communication at all.

update

After a 1/2 hour struggle in which I used the phone like a PS2 game console, I finally got through to the VSC operator and got my wife's case number. It seems that the I-90 applications in VSC have been stalled for a while after 9/11 and they just picked up on them again. At least, this gives us some assurance that we did not end up in an INS blackhole. I also confirmed that INS DOES NOT issue a "application receipt notice" for I-90 forms.

Wrong.......

INS issues a notice for every application they receive. There are many people I know who received the receipt notice for I-90 application.
BTW I too did not receive the receipt so I confirmed with my friends and saw the receipt notices. I called INS and got my case number. On line case status says 60-90 days for getting the new card but I think it is going to take more than a year as VSC is processing Sept 2001 receipted cases now.
Its good that you have your case number now. That is the only number that will help you to get the status of your application.

Ajay

I only wanted to confirm that they did not lose my wife's photos or the application, as they seem to regularly do in a few cases.

As for the non-issuance of receipt notice, I just reported what the INS officer told me. Rules may have changed after your friends filed their I-90 forms i.e., after 9/11. The facts are that neither you nor I received any receipt notice.

Passport Re-stamped Required?

My wife filed the I-90 for correcting the name on
her GC but 11 months went by and she still not
received the new GC yet. Could any guru answer
the following questions for me? Thanks.

1. Her stamp on passport is going to expire very
soon. Is it necessary to re-stamp it before the
expiration date or she will be out of status?
Does it only matter when you are trying to
travel overseas?

2. We did not receive anything (notice of action)
from INS at all. How do we find out the case # and
her case process center?

I-140 Approved in Vermon & Consular Process
POE: Seatle.
Original GC Received from Texas Center.
I-90 Filed in Local INS: Newark, NJ

3. Does she need to re-submit the I-90 and new
photos again? Or she just need the passport
re-stamp?

Thanks for the help!!

yi-shin