planning to marry in the US, but not remain - how to enter?

gortivy

Here's my situation, I'm currently in New Zealand. I've been out here on the working holiday visa scheme for the past 9 months. I am from the UK, and my fiance is from MA. We have been together for 4 years now, and we plan to marry in September in the US, but the I will return to the UK shortly afterwards and begin the application for my fiances to live and work in the UK, and she will be coming to the UK in Jan 09.

Basically I will be entering the US under the visa waiver scheme, but with complete honesty, I will state that I am intending to marry, but not to remain. I have my plane ticket home already, which is my first line of proof, but after speaking with the San Francisco Port of Entry Officer two days ago, I will need more. First of all has anyone else had this issue before? Basically I need more proof that ties me to the UK, but this is difficult as I have been traveling for 9 months and don't have an apartment or job to walk back into. I have a couple of jobs that I will possibly have temporarily when I get back that will happily write letters up for me to say I will work there when I return but I'm not sure if this is enough. I was thinking of getting a letter from my parents, stating that I will be living with them temporarily when I return while searching for my own place and working, will this help?

Also, I have had advice from some people that I do NOT need to state I am getting married - only say that the purpose of my visit is to visit people, and not give out more info that asked. IS THIS LEGAL? (not just your opinion) I may want to apply for US citizenship in years to come, and do not want to mess things up by doing something wrong now!

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or has anyone every had to deal with this before! I just don't want to be refused entry and sent back to England right now!

THANKS, and sorry this is so long,

Gary

I agree that one should never volunteer any information not explicitly asked for at the POE. However you just confirmed that your intention is to marry your fiancee' on this trip. So if at the POE you are asked what is the purpose of your trip, what do you think you should answer?

Also, I have had advice from some people that I do NOT need to state I am getting married - only say that the purpose of my visit is to visit people, and not give out more info that asked. IS THIS LEGAL? (not just your opinion) I may want to apply for US citizenship in years to come, and do not want to mess things up by doing something wrong now!

I just read your posting, and I have a similar issue. Have you got an answer for your question yet. Can you share your experience with me? I also wonder if it a good idea to mention that the purpose to visit is to get married.

As triple citizen says, do not volunteer information. It is perfectly legal to come to the US and get married...though to enter with the intent to stay is not....so what you are attempting to do is fine. Should the POE officer ask you whether you will be getting married, then you will of course answer yes. At this point you may be required to show proof of ties to your home country to show that you indeed do not intend to stay. This could include mortgage payments, car payments, a letter from your employer stating when you will be expected back at work etc.....though DO NOT show this information unless you are specifically asked for it.

I agree with the guys above when saying don't volunteer the information that you are getting maried but don't lie if asked! You could possibly get a "lease Agreement" from your parents giving proof of your intention to return.

My Father is a Police officer at an airport in Canada.. he told me that if you mention the fact that you are entering a Country to get married.. you will probably get denied. Just go into the Country as a Visitor. I was also given this advise by many many other people. I am in the US as a visitor right now-- with only 5 months remaining. My Fiance and I are getting married here.

Now.. to make it legit.. you should also provide information to customs when you go through. I presented them with 6 peices of information.. ex. Return ticket proof of purchase (non-refundable), utilities bill for where I am staying in the US, letter from my Father stating my intentions in the US (school), also a letter from my Canadian university stating that I plan on returning. You don't have to do all that, but sometimes just showing up at the airport even if you are 100% legit.. they will deny you. Hundreds of people get denied daily. ESP. IF THEY THINK YOUR GOING TO GO AND GET MARRIED!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You father is a police officer and he advised you not to reveal your true intentions? Did he advise you not to volunteer or advised you to conceal if questioned? Two very different entities.

My Father is a Police officer at an airport in Canada.. he told me that if you mention the fact that you are entering a Country to get married.. you will probably get denied. Just go into the Country as a Visitor. I was also given this advise by many many other people. I am in the US as a visitor right now-- with only 5 months remaining. My Fiance and I are getting married here.

You father is a police officer and he advised you not to reveal your true intentions? Did he advise you not to volunteer or advised you to conceal if questioned? Two very different entities.

Um no, a) I didn't come to the US to get married. b) I had only a one way ticket so he told me to to bring documents proving THAT I WOULD BE RETURNING to Canada. As in letter from University etc.