Planning to live outside of US for 11 months - re-entry permit needed?

KussyPoo

Registered Users (C)
I hope this is the right category to post this in, if not I apologize..

Anyways, I just got my 2 year conditional green card in december and can file for removal of conditions in September 2012. My husband is in the Army and deploying this year and I wanted to move back to Germany until he gets back, so I'm not so alone here since all my friends will have moved by that time. I was wondering what I would have to do, so that my green card won't be taken from me at the port of entry when I come back... Is there any waiver or re-entry permit or something I can apply for?

Deploying where? There are provisions that allow you to enter the US after a long trip without a reentry permit if you're accompanying your military spouse overseas. But that depends on where he's deployed and where you'll stay.

To be safe, apply for the reentry permit in case your stay stretches beyond 12 months, and so you won't need to worry about the nuances of the law regarding accompanying a military spouse. The permit will allow you to stay outside the US for 2 years.

Deploying where? There are provisions that allow you to enter the US after a long trip without a reentry permit if you're accompanying your military spouse overseas. But that depends on where he's deployed and where you'll stay.

To be safe, apply for the reentry permit in case your stay stretches beyond 12 months, and so you won't need to worry about the nuances of the law regarding accompanying a military spouse. The permit will allow you to stay outside the US for 2 years.

He's deploying to Afghanistan, I can't accompany him there lol.. I just wanted to go back to Germany (where I'm from) by myself until he's back. What's the form called I have to file (if there is one)?

http://www.uscis.gov/i-131

You must be inside the US when submitting the form, and be in the US again 3-6 weeks later to give fingerprints. After that they'll deliver the permit to a US mailing address or a US consulate abroad where you can pick it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your spouse is active duty military, you and he qualify for special assistance on immigration issues from the Military Helpline of the USCIS. The contact number and information about services are on the USCIS website when you select the dropdown for "member of the military". Please take advantage of it! It is a small reward for his service.

Be sure you follow up with his his command and family support group.

Thank YOU for your service as well. The hardest job in the military is that of the spouse.

Best wishes from a Navy Mom and mother-in-law!