Planning to get married (I-485 already applied for self)...Please help

witty_humorous

Registered Users (C)
Guys:

A friend of mine has his I-485 already applied (Not approved as of yet).
he wants to go to India to get married.

(1) Can he bring his would-be spouse on H-4 visa along with him right away even though he has his I -485 already with INS (Not approved as of yet).

(2) Can his would be spouse after getting married to him apply directly for I-485 based on his priority date after coming to US.

Thanks for your help in advance.

For Stressed Romeo

could you give details

what is his receipt date/notice date/country/location/fingerprint scheduled/fingerprint done date/wac number please ommit last 4 digits for confidentiality/ eb category

This would help us to give u further advice

No Title

Hi,

Your friend has to go and get married before his I-485 is approved. He can bring his wife on H4 and after she comes here he can file for her adjustment. But all this has to be done before he gets approved!

Thanks.

Marriage & GC issues. ONe additional question

Thanks guys:
Thanks for your help
I don\'t have the details for him. He is waiting on fingerprinting.
One another question that I have is as follows:

If his spouse comes here on H-4 and in th emeantime his I-485 gets approved, can his spouse still go ahead and apply for I -485 on his priority date. If No what is her status etc.

Thanks

see this article from immigration-law.com

A large number of 485 waiters are singles or unmarried at the time they file 485 applications. If they maintain their valid H-1B status, they will be able to marry in home country and bring their newly acquired spouses to the U.S. in H-4 status "if the spouse enters the U.S. before the 485 waiter gets 485 approval.

"Approval" means approval of 485 application by adjudicators in the Service Centers and neither receipt of notice nor stamping in the passport nor getting plastic card.

Lately, we face 485 filers who marry and bring their spouses to the U.S. in H-4 status close to the time of approval of their I-485. Legally, by the time the principal alien\'s status is converted to a lawful permanent resident, the spouse\'s H-4 status should also terminate since H-4 is a visa status dependent on a valid H-1B visa status.

Therefore, there arises a question as to what happens if the spouse\'s I-485 application as an "accompanying" spouse is belatedly receipted by the INS after the principal alien\'s 485 application is approved.

Strictly speaking, by that time the H-4 spouse is no longer in H-4 status and there is a serious question of the spouse\'s eligibibility for 485 application, since only an alien in status can submit 485 application.

Two consequences can arise.
First, if the principal alien started the green card process (priority date) before April 30, 2001 and was present in the U.S. on December 21, 2000, the spouses may still be able to file I-485 as a following-to-join beneficiary and using 245(i) benefit.
The principal alien\'s grandfathered 245(i) benefit is also transferred to the spouse without requirement of presence in the U.S. on December 21, 2000 under the LIFE Act that reinstated 245(i) benefit until April 30, 2001.

Second, the spouse may also apply for immigrant visa at the American Consulate at the home country as a following-to-join beneficiary. However, in the second option, the unlawful presence of the spouse may continue to run and if the spouse departs from the U.S. after 180 days to have the immigration interview, he/she may be subject to the three-year bar and the consulate will not be able to issue immigrant visas. Additionally, the INS may be able to initiate removal proceeding if he/she is arrested.

Filing delay of 485 is usually caused by medical examination and collection of such evidence as birth certificate or marriage certificate from his/her home country. In emergency, people may consult their legal counsel as to whether it is desirable to file the signed I-485 application with a proper filing fees without sufficient supporting documentation to get their cases in the system ("filed") before their status runs out. The INS will then issue RFE to request the required supporting documentation.

One other major problem people from India, Mexico and Philippines face is the priority date. As the number of green cards issued to spouses of permanent residents is limited, quotas are enforced for people from these countries. Consequently, an Indian spouse might have to wait for nearly 3-4 years before an immigrant visa becomes available to him/her.

So, he/she is either forced to be separate from the spouse for these years or must stay in USA illegally, facing a potential rejection and deportation.