planning in advance

ajitsinghahluwalia

Registered Users (C)
I am Dr. ajitsinghahluwalia from Mumbai, India. I have finished my M.B; B.S and one year internship in January 2002. (12+2+4.5+1). I am planning to go to the United States in Fall 2002 to pursue a 2-year Master’s course in Public Health (MPH).

I plan to go on an F-1 visa. While in the U.S, I also plan to give the three steps of USMLE and apply for a residency (after finishing the MPH program). I understand the hospital would usually grant me a J-1 visa for this purpose. I wanted to know if there is any way by which I could get a H-1 visa or a J-1 visa waiver. I also want to know what my chances of getting a green card right now or later are.
basically i want to know how i should plan it out.

No Title

J-1 visa will have 2-year home residence requirement. It is getting very difficult to get a waiver nowadays. Of course, it is hard to predict how it\'ll go 5-6 years from now.

H-1 is your better bet. You\'ll need USMLE Step 3 passed to be eligible. The longer the residency, the shorter time period for the Green Card, as H-1 duration is 6 years. But generally, H-1 is better due to fewer restrictions.

You may also consider doing research of some kind, and get Green Card that way, and then go to the residency without any trouble.

At any rate, you are in for a very long haul (it took me 8.5 years from J-1 to H-1 to GC). Good luck.

more questions

Thanks Yooper, I really appreciate your help. I have a few more questions. Please be kind enough to answer them.
Since I m doing a master s in public health, should I do some research in the field. How will that help me with the green card and what would be the procedure.
Also, when does give the step 3.,....after passing CSA or after applying for residency? What are the chances of getting a H-1 after giving step 3? Is the step 3 on the computer too? Where does one get information about the exam?
Did u have to come back home after your J-1 expired? Can one practice back home after doing a residency in the states?
Thanks once again.
ajitsinghahluwalia

No Title

Doing research in your area of expertise may enable you to qualify for GC in EB-1 or EB-2 category. You can read more about the topic on several web sites (www.imminfo.com; www.immihelp.com; www.usvisanews.com; www.shusterman.com; www.immigration-law.com; www.ilw.com/pederson; and others).

The idea behind passing USMLE 3 is to become eligible for H-1 status, and of course should be done BEFORE you apply for a residency slot. Remember, once you obtain J-1 status, there is no turning back: you either go home for 2 years or need to obtain a waiver to stay here.

You can get information regarding USMLE 3 from ECFMG (www.ecfmg.org).

If by the end of validity of J-1 status you cannot obtain a waiver, you generally should return to your home country (yes, you can practice there). Some people are qualified to change to O status and continue working "indefinetily" by renewing that status yearly, but you cannot apply for GC without a waiver (or serving 2 years in your home country).

No Title

Hi,
I am a green card holder about to marry a doctor girl in India. What are the various possible ways I can get her to the US (one way is an F1 with MPH as mentioned) . Is residency a viable option or are there alternate routes/fields for physicians to sustain themselves here.

Additionally, I will be able to sponsor her on a family based visa - is there a faster way to for her to get her green card ?

Thanks in Advance !

thanks but..

thanks a lot yooper. u say u have finally managed to procure a green card. that sounds really encouraging. but is it all worth it. is practicing medicine in the states really as pleasure as perceived by an outsider. i m slighty confused.
also is it true that lines like surgery, orthopedics, ophthal. are very difficult to get. all people from india are offered is pediatrics and internal medicine.
thanks again