Plan B: Canada

songlan

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Due to the retrogression, I applied GC to Canada. The process nearly done. Now I wonder how good/bad IT job market there.

I have non-US master degree on CS, MCSE 2000, OCP 9i, CISSP and CCNA, and 6 yrs US experience.

What is my chance to get job there ?
SongLan

Does your company have an office there ? Its easiest to get a transfer if your office has branch there.

Otherwise prefrably apply for jobs from US and then see what response you get. With non US difficult it will be more difficult, so dont expect miracles but keep trying. Have enough saved to survive without a job for 3-6 months if you dont want to be pulled into doing manual jobs.

Worst case scenario, stay in Windsor and get a job in Detroit and commute on your H1 till Canadian citizenship and then on TN.

Guys,
Please dont compare US and Canada. Canada is a great country but definitely has smaller economy and fewer jobs, but also fewer ppl than US. However therefore US is our first choice and Canada is backup and not other way around.

It is like telling guy passing 12th that IIT is better than private engineering college, but even that guy knows that. He is going to private engineering college because he cant get into IIT.

So Canada is a great option as backup. No one is telling someone with USGC to go there but for many ppl its better option than going to home country. It is close to US and by and large has similar standard of life and living (though slightly lower).

I think if your goal is to get a job to "get by", I think you will be alright there. Good luck.

texancanadian said:
Guys,
Please dont compare US and Canada. Canada is a great country but definitely has smaller economy and fewer jobs, but also fewer ppl than US. However therefore US is our first choice and Canada is backup and not other way around.

It is like telling guy passing 12th that IIT is better than private engineering college, but even that guy knows that. He is going to private engineering college because he cant get into IIT.

So Canada is a great option as backup. No one is telling someone with USGC to go there but for many ppl its better option than going to home country. It is close to US and by and large has similar standard of life and living (though slightly lower).

Canada

Hi Songlan,
I am planning to apply for Canadian immigration due to reterogation. Can you please tell me how much time it takes to process the case and secondly if you can give me some other pointers from your experience. Do they also have any Visa numbers limit?

Thanks.

songlan said:
Hi,

Due to the retrogression, I applied GC to Canada. The process nearly done. Now I wonder how good/bad IT job market there.

I have non-US master degree on CS, MCSE 2000, OCP 9i, CISSP and CCNA, and 6 yrs US experience.

What is my chance to get job there ?
SongLan

When I got mine, it took only 5 months. It was a while though and I was single back then, what probably facilitated the process.
They have plenty of visas waiting for you. In fact, in certain regions in Canada, 40% of people who lands there leave in two years. My personal assessment is that this is very true for many regions there.
Therefore I am sure they need more people.

mjossan said:
Hi Songlan,
I am planning to apply for Canadian immigration due to reterogation. Can you please tell me how much time it takes to process the case and secondly if you can give me some other pointers from your experience. Do they also have any Visa numbers limit?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: