Place of birth to mention in form DS 230

gcseeker101

Registered Users (C)
Hi CP gurus,

POB in passport is my district name. POB in BirthCertificate is village name and district name.
My question is what i have to mention in the DS230 form for POB? village name or district name?
If i mention village name, then it doesn't match with passport. Does it create any problem at the time of interview? I heard from some of the postings that if POB doesn't match with passport then at the time of interview they may ask to correct passport.

Please post your ideas...
Thanks

I am/ was in a similar boat. From the legal advice that I received, the birth certificate *supercedes* the passport, so this should not be a cause for worry during interview. However, if anyone has prior experience to the contrary, please post.

As per instructions, the indian consulate needs a order from a first class magistrate in India (?) to change the place of birth, that I am not sure how to do it either.

Last edited by a moderator:
look at GC_Milegakya postings

DS230 specifically asks City/State/Country. I believe, it's correct to put the district name or city name (most of the time both are same) in the passport. I think you are fine as long as your birth certificate has the name (in the complete address) of the city/district you have mentioned in DS230I and Passport.

Please search the postings by GC_Milegakya. It has more info.

My conclusion is that DS230 and Passport will have the city name or district name and the BC will have complete address.

You can mail this to consulate and confirm this.

Birth Certificate vs. Passport

I looked at his postings, but he is not explicit about what his mismatch was and I couldn't get in touch with him.

My problem is that my passport states Village, State and the BC states Street Address (no village), Taluk, District, State. The village is in the district, however. So, I put Taluk name, State in my DS230 Part I after checking with my attorney's office.

I guess to be doubly sure, I'll have to Email the consulate and find out for sure before going for the interview. Any ideas on what I should change here, even if they want it?.

GC_Milegakya: If you are reading this, I would appreciate your input.

Cheers, Dan.

GC_Milegakya

I guess it would be better if GC_Milegakya clarify this issue.
He had some mismatch regarding POB and consulate asked him to correct passport. But he didn't specify what kind of mismatch in his posting.

I agree with sumathi_63. We should mention POB same in passport and DS230, so that it doesn't create any conflict during document checking.